How hard is it to get a Visitor Visa to Canada?

Alicat

Dec 8, 2008
Hi,
I met a man from the DR while on vacation there and would like to invite him here to Canada to visit me. I am wondering what the chances are of him being approved? I would love to hear from anyone who has positive stories about visas being granted but have read some of the forums on here and feel discouraged. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Alicat,

It is going to be hard for you to get a visitors visa for him. I have a few friends that I have tried it and gave up as it was a lost cause. I am not saying this to be harsh, but to just tell you how it is.

This being said, it also depends on what he does down there. If you he a resort worker, then well...it will be hard. If he is someone that owns his own business, has family to go back to and the business, it might be a little easier. Just don't think that it will happen in a week that he will get a visa. You did the right thing reading about it on here and you know some of the stories of others and what they went through.

Cheers
Erin

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
I'll have to 2nd sammystorm and liam1!

Sorry, but @ least you know what to expect or better yet, what not to expect!

Good luck!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Unless he has strong ties to the DR, a great paying job to return to, money in the bank he has very little chance of getting one.

Canada issues extremely few visitor visas. Do a seach here, you won't find many.

Alicat

Dec 8, 2008
From reading on here as well though, it still seems so hard even if we were to marry. Is me going down there a few times to see him enough? How much and what sort of proof do they need of our relationship? So far, it's just been me there once and phone calls. Unfortunately, I can't make it down there again for quite some time. :( Help! Thanks so much.

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Going down there a million times isn't really going to help you out.

There are many people on here waiting for their spouses to get visa to move to Canada and they have been waiting a long time.

And really you have been there once! Why do you want to bring him back to Canada already? How long have you been back for? This just might be the vacation love bug thing. It usually passes after a couple of weeks and you are back to the real world.

Did you meet him while you were on the resort?

Cheers
Erin

Alicat

Dec 8, 2008
Yes, we met while on the resort. I have been back for 7 months now and it's not any easier. I want to get to know him more by spending time with him. Talking endlessly on the phone and going down for one week at time here and there isn't enough and is not what I consider a relationship. As much as I feel for him, marrying him to bring him here terrifies me, it's not something that I take lightly or would rush into but is seeming to be more and more the only option since visitors visas are rarely issued.

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Don't marry him just to bring him to the country. Marrying him doesn't mean that he will get here any sooner. That can take 6 months to over a year.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
just know before you sponsor anyone to Canada that you are responsible for them while they are in Canada. if the guy turns out to be a bum, doesn't wanna go back, overstays his visa, and God forbids tells you he's gonna go on welfare it will go on your record and you will NEVER be able to sponsor another person. i feel for you any your situation because a few months back i applied for my WIFE (Visitor Visa) and she was denied.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/visas/753...-refused-need-advice-how-re-apply-please.html

Alicat

Dec 8, 2008
Yes. I know. I have read some of the threads on here about others waiting for their husbands to come and how long it takes. But what other alternatives are there?

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Unless you can move to DR, pretty much none. Canada really sucks when it comes to visas. My wife's sister is married to an Italian guy, and within 3 month of marriage she was in Italy. That was 4-5 years ago, i hear now that if you are married to a citizen of a European Union nation, your spouse can travel all over EU no problem, no need for a visa.

Alicat

Dec 8, 2008
Thanks for posting that link liam1, I just finished reading through it. This is all so disappointing. Even if you are married, it's still not an easy process and takes so long and they seem to require so much proof over and above a marriage certificate, it's crazy! I understand it however, in the fact that the right was abused and this is the result, but it still just doesn't seem fair.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
To the OP. It is REALLY tough and listen to everyones advise.

even for just a tourist visa a dominican has to have X amout of dollars, a steady job, housing etc. ANd you cant just loan him money (which i would not recommend anyhoo). He'd have to have a bank account that shows fluidity over the years.

Take your time and keep visiting.

I feel your pain. I have someone that i have been seeing for about 7 years. Dont really want him to move here as he is really an Island Man...or a man of the Campo. But i'd love for him to spend a week or so here in NYC...just to show him Times Square, the Village, Washington Heights, My home town and meet my friends. Just to show him MY life.

My friend is not really a sankie...but i DO know that he hustles here and there (despite having a decent job). The reality is that we only get to see eachother a couple of times a year. We BOTH do what we do to get by in the mean time.

Take your time b4 making any serious moves.

What blows me away...is that my friend in DR has more money than me..owns a great little house..has a wonderful family...is NOT a flight risk. and i still cant get him here :-(

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
The US and canada is two country make visitor visa

almost impossible. Apply visitor visa for this two county, everyone should prepare subject humaliation anyone can image. The basic principle of law is every visa applicat presume to be a immigrant until prove otherwise. That is gulty until prove innocent. That law is nothing new and is over two hundred year. Actully most people' ancestor has suffered from this law ( Irish, Italian and german etc ). If anyone still want to try, the applicant shoud be a person
with enough money and want to go to canada and US to shopping and tourist. He or she should nor know anybody including you in Canada and US. people tend to give his friend invitation letter. That is big mistake because visa office jugde that as strong social connection with canada and he or she will not likely return to Dominican Republic.

bjnissa

Sep 15, 2008
My wife ( DR Citizen ) can go freely to and from the USA all her life. When it comes to Canada though, cannot even come for a visit. We even applied for a visitors visa from a Canadian embassy in Seattle, and the officer told her he didn't believe that she would leave Canada if she went there because it was a better place...... An absolute joke if you ask me the Canadian immigration system.

If you a Dominican, your better off to move to Africa, get aids, kill a few people, don't learn English of French, then apply for a visitors visa. Now you qualify as a refugee and can come here with nothing to offer, and the Canadian government will pay your way, give you a free education and set you up better than they even do for their own Canadian born citizens!

Cheers, what a wonderful place!

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
If you are candain citizen,

your wife normally cannot get visitor visa from canada. If it is not the case, try canadian consular in buffalo or detroit.
My wife ( DR Citizen ) can go freely to and from the USA all her life. When it comes to Canada though, cannot even come for a visit. We even applied for a visitors visa from a Canadian embassy in Seattle, and the officer told her he didn't believe that she would leave Canada if she went there because it was a better place...... An absolute joke if you ask me the Canadian immigration system.

If you a Dominican, your better off to move to Africa, get aids, kill a few people, don't learn English of French, then apply for a visitors visa. Now you qualify as a refugee and can come here with nothing to offer, and the Canadian government will pay your way, give you a free education and set you up better than they even do for their own Canadian born citizens!

bjnissa

Sep 15, 2008
your wife normally cannot get visitor visa from canada. If it is not the case, try canadian consular in buffalo or detroit.

When we applied we were not married, now that we are and we applied for the spousal visa they can't grant it.

I'm a Dominican citizen and like my husband told you guys I can travel to the states with no problem, and I know lots of Dominicans that can travel to the USA, they don't have any business, large amount of money in the bank, like you all think, Canadian government is just to careful I guess.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
My wife ( DR Citizen ) can go freely to and from the USA all her life. When it comes to Canada though, cannot even come for a visit. We even applied for a visitors visa from a Canadian embassy in Seattle,

and the officer told her he didn't believe that she would leave Canada if she went there because it was a better place.....

Different country with different rules and laws. Yes that is the reason that most people are given. You have to prove that you will leave Canada once the visa expires and I'm sure they have their reasons for these laws.

Yes Canada is a wonderful place Thank you.;)

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
I think you review that your boy friend is canadian citizen

when you apply visa that time. They believe that you have strong social tie with canada and cannot return. Later when you apply spouse visa, they said your relation is not strong enough You get america visa because you probely do know anybody there. It is same thing for US. if someone boy friend or husband is american, she will have hard time to get visa. Both country immigrantion law, every visa applicate is presume to be immigrant until prove otherwise. That call guilty until prove inoncent. That is 200 years old law nothing new.

When we applied we were not married, now that we are and we applied for the spousal visa they can't grant it.

I'm a Dominican citizen and like my husband told you guys I can travel to the states with no problem, and I know lots of Dominicans that can travel to the USA, they don't have any business, large amount of money in the bank, like you all think, Canadian government is just to careful I guess.