water flow and pressure

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Having only a tinaco on my roof,how can I get more flow to washer???Will larger size pipe work,or do I need a pressure pump??
bob

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
you can indeed raise your tinaco but 10 meters will only get you an extra 7psi. you need to build something high. Better get a booster pump in my opinion.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
In theory the diameter of a pipe will NOT make for more pressure. In other words, as you may have heard before, it's not the size, it's again how you use it :bunny:.
But it's OK to use a decent size pipe anyway.

As mentioned by posters above, only hight or adding pressure with a pump and a pneumatic pressure tank will be effective.
For a small home, a small combo pump-tank may be enough.

... J-D.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
thanks for suggestions...I am actually more interested in more water flow as it takes forever to fill washing machine,,...or will more pressure give me more water flow to washer??I cannot raise the tinaco any more..I thought that a bigger pipe,say 3/4 inch instead of 1/2 inch may give me more water down the pipe to washer.Not being an engineer,do not know...
I have seen these water pressure units that go right on pipe,and turn on with water flow..any suggestions on those???

bob

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
thanks for suggestions...I am actually more interested in more water flow as it takes forever to fill washing machine,,...or will more pressure give me more water flow to washer??I cannot raise the tinaco any more..I thought that a bigger pipe,say 3/4 inch instead of 1/2 inch may give me more water down the pipe to washer.Not being an engineer,do not know...
I have seen these water pressure units that go right on pipe,and turn on with water flow..any suggestions on those???

bob

yes that will give you more flow, assuming there are not any other restrictions.

ing. chi

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
But

yes that will give you more flow, assuming there are not any other restrictions.

ing. chi

As bob does not really seem hung up on the pressure now, but is just wanting to fill the washer faster. the normal plumbing is 1/2 in. but a bigger pipe would increase flow from the tinaco, as long as the outlet from the tinaco is that large. and if he is bypassing the normal plumbing on the washer. This one of the samsung type washers, or an american or european washer that needs more pressure to activate the sensors.

GardenCraft

Jun 12, 2007
"I have seen these water pressure units that go right on pipe,and turn on with water flow..any suggestions on those???"
Originally posted by jaguarbob.
Where can I see one of these pumps? They sound like a great solution for gravity-fed water systems.

AS for bob's dilemma, here's my research findings; half inch gravity-fed plumbing will only deliver perhaps 1 and a half gallon per minute.
Going to three quarter pipe will take the flow rate to about 3 gpm.
Adding a pump to half inch system will produce a maximum of about 8gpm or whatever the pump is rated for. (estimates only as tinaco height and flow rates vary). Run a flow test- get a 2 gallon bucket and time how long it takes to fill it from the washer tap. eg; if it takes 15 seconds to fill a 2 gallon bucket you have a flow rate of 8 gallons per minute.
My experience has shown that half inch pipe can produce a maximum 7 gpm @ 30 psi and three-quarter pipe can do 15gpm @ 30psi.

Conclusion: adding a pump to the existing plumbing will give around 5-6 gallons per minute which will fill the average washer in about 5 minutes.
Swapping to gravity-fed three-quarter pipe will fill the washer in about 10 minutes and I estimate at the moment it takes about 25 minutes.

sound OK?

GardenCraft

Jun 12, 2007
Thanks JD. I'm assuming that the 'ladrona' pumps are those little blue units you see around for 2500 peso's or so.
Does Bob's washing machine has a solenoid valve that opens the water flow into the washer? If so he may be able to hook up a 12V pump start relay that will turn on the ladrona when the solenoid opens. If the washer has a mechanical float to control the water level a pressure tank and pump would work. And if he has to manually fill the washer the little pump will still be the solution. I'm interested to know what type of washer Bob has. You know?

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
i have a flow rate of about 1 1/2 gallons in 33 seconds.with a 1/2 inch pipe.....how much more will i expect from a 3/4 inch pipe???
here is pic of water pressure pump for single pipe.
Lorenzetti S.A. - Produtos
goes on and off with water thru it.Can be purchased in SD at a distributor for these hot water showers that I have...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
i have a flow rate of about 1 1/2 gallons in 33 seconds.with a 1/2 inch pipe.....how much more will i expect from a 3/4 inch pipe???
goes on and off with water thru it.Can be purchased in SD at a distributor for these hot water showers that I have...

Would appreciate specifics about where I could buy these single pipe pressure units. I have a this problem in my house, where I just can't get the water pressure the way I like it.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
The address is >for the pressure units...
ECO LITE
Calle Gaspar Polanco, 62 - Bella Vista
Santo Domingo
Tel: 1-809-3341504 Fax; 1-809-3341504
Contacto con Sr. Alex Liz
E-mail: alexliz@ codetel.net.do

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The address is >for the pressure units...
ECO LITE
Calle Gaspar Polanco, 62 - Bella Vista
Santo Domingo
Tel: 1-809-3341504 Fax; 1-809-3341504
Contacto con Sr. Alex Liz
E-mail: alexliz@ codetel.net.do

Thanks for the info...Will look into it.

Sep 19, 2005

I ll guess it is proportional

2.25 gallons in the same 33 seconds with the 3/4" pipe
bad bad bob

GardenCraft

Jun 12, 2007
Thats about right laurapasinifan. I found results were closer to double the flow rate between 1/2 and 3/4 inch pipe so I would have estimated 3 gpm.
The problem is
-lots of tight bends restrict the flow.
- The inlet and outlet diameter is often constricted eg 1/2 inch outlet from tinaco
- the flow is likely restricted by a non-return valve

All these factors penalise the flow rate so there really is no way to tell except to have a doctorate in fluid dynamics or have a go :)
Perhaps experiment with some cheap black poly pipe first.
Are we getting close to an answer for you Bob?

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
What I did and, what I think you should do is by a slave pump. Run the largest size pipe you can for suction and discharge sides. Then bush it at the bitch end. For example: if it has an 11/2" suction side ruen that all the way to the pump. On the discharge side if it is 11/4" run that all the way to where you want the water then bush it to say 11/4 to 3/4 or 1/2". You will get all the pressure you want. Vol. is different from pressure. There is only so much water any size pipe can carry. No matter what the pressure is. But remember on your discharge side this is a slave pump. If it is not passing water you will burn it up. Unless you put some type of pressure valve on the discharge side. For a little extra money you can put in a pressure tank, switch, and pump. Problem solved. You can suck the water out of the sistern into the pressure tank it will be pressureized to 35 lbs. So you set it to kick on at 25 and off at 35. American water pressure. Just like if you had a well in the states.

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
Oh, forgot you cannot use a slave pump on the pressured tank. You will need a centrifical pump. 1/2 horse is plenty.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
am buying the Lorenzetti pump and install it right before the faucet to the washer...and plug it in to a receptical there also..by the way,I bought one of those new electronic washers...seems to be ok so far...
thanks for all the advice...I have a headache////////////////////
will give a report later.
bob

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
here is a chart for the Lorenzetti pump..

Pressure
(mca)mca = 1.47 psi

Flow - Pressure pump Disconnected
(liters per minute)

Flow - Pressure pump connected
(liters per minute)

bob