Anyone in Boca Chica?

mari99

Sep 16, 2008
Hi there,

In January, I'm going to be heading down from NYC to spend six months in Boca Chica. Anyone on these boards living there?

Cheers,
Marissa

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Why do you say ouch?

I think that what he means is that most people might find Boca Chica - let's just say " a little limited" for a 6 month stay. There are those would would say, and no doubt will later in this thread, that even 6 weeks and perhaps 6 days would be considered more than enough.

Since you didn't post any background information about yourself or about why Boca Chica and why 6 months, it's difficult to know what to tell you.

I'm not sure but i don't think you'll find too many posters on this forum who actually live in Boca Chica.

sawsky

Jan 12, 2007
we dont live in boca chica, but we,ll be there on the 28th of jan.and be staying there for 6 weeks, wish it was 6 months,how do you pull the 6 month thing off let me know,lol.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
hey mari99, i think a couple of people probably dont think too highly of Boca Chica. I personally find it overwhelming, but I do visit from time to time. As long as you are able to drive around and see other places I can't see it being that bad. how did you manage to pull off your 6 month stay? i WISH i could manage that! LOL
Boca chica is in a central location on the island, right on the highway, not far from the airport, the capital, and east you will find juan dolio and san pedro de macoris...i like it, as long as i can drive around freely!
best wishes on your stay! :)

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
when i first began coming to BC in 2004 i thought i could live there forever, now i couldn't last there a week. the crackheads, the crime, the dirt, the overly-aggressive hookers, the vendedores on the beach, the Haitians who felt off the evolution bus about 400 years ago, the nothingness (if that is even a word)... i'd rather spend a month on the North Coast or SD or Santiago than a year in BC. if you're not after cheap crack and cheap hookers i can't see how can BC be any fun.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i'll be there in late feb/march.

dont listen to all the crap people here say about b.c. sure there are other beaches that are quieter and nicer...

There is only one real hooker bar left...so just dont go there at night.

The beach vendors will leave you alone once you are there after a day or so.

On the plus side...you are a short ride into the capital. so when you get tired of the beaches you can either explore the culture, museums, theatre and clubs.

B.C. is pretty quiet these days. FUnny how people here complain about BC these days yet refer to the "good ole days" when there were many more prostitutes and drugs.

anyhoo...pm me and perhaps we can meet up when i am there. I have a few couples who will be there at the same time. Great people...some of them lurk here on DR1.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
"The good old days" in BC are long gone. days when Cosmos and Zanzibar were happening, when you were not constantly followed by 10 kids begging for money and 10 guys selling you Rolexes and Gucci sunglasses, and 10 tigueres asking you if you want any {snorting nose}?

You say "there is only one hooker bar left, so don't go there", then where else is he/she gonna go? how many bars are there in BC? a few, and they are all on Pedro C. and every one is full of hookers roaming from one bar to another.

PS. the beach vendors will never leave you alone. that's how they make ends meet, and the more you say NO the more they will try to break you into saying YES just to leave you alone.

the OP will go to BC and see for himself if BC suits him or not. i know for me, unless i was getting paid very well to be there i wouldn't even dream of "vacationing" in BC for 6 months.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
well...the OP is female (so it seems). so i pretty much bet that she will not be hanging out at the one hooker bar left.

as far as the beach vendors (who are in sosua and other places) they do leave you alone after a couple of days.

There are many family friendly and non sanky paces to to explore.

GFar

Jan 23, 2007
Yes for certain good ol days

The good ol days it was fluriousing, I was a very fun, exciting place to HANG OUT thats about it. Yes I know it is a short ride to La Capital! Pero it is so washed up I think the people there are 10 years older than any of the other tourists( Can, germ, grin,) tu sabes. I wont speak to much more, I have much love for the people that keep it breathing, but hey lets face it, it is Washed up, maybe a disappointing 2 day stop off then off to Bavaro! come on is floundering out there is the PERFECT beach to floundering in!

Gfar:bunny::chinese:

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
..The good old days" in BC are long gone. days when Cosmos and Zanzibar were happening..

..and they are all on Pedro C..

The street is called Duarte, Pedro Clisante is still in Sosua. Cosmos Disco was run by the French mafia. The place was closed together with Zanzibar because of a legal dispute about the building, the owners of Cosmos were later arrested by the police, not by PN. Nothing has really changed in BC recently and very little will change in the near future.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I was impressed by the fact there was a LOT of construction going on in BC my last couple of trips...especially on duarte...a huge hotel on the far end away from hamaca. And there are more restaurants popping up away from duarte. I've also noticed more euro FAMILIES there rather than the usual chica chasers.

The one complaint i have about B.C. is the lack of quality night life. It used to be a seedy crazy and fabulous mess...now it is just sorta boring. Duarte would be cool if somone opened up a place that catered to an adult crowd both local and touristas...but not full of hookers. offering up either live music some nights...perhaps Kareoke other nights...i dunno..something to offer people who are not into the sex trade.

There is so much potential in B.C. I think it is in a transition phase and doesnt know what to do next.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Last time i was in BC both Cosmos and Zanzibar were open, but empty, and closing at 12. It has been shutting down and opening up forever.