Great News! Limits on rental contracts approved.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let's see how this works out and how it's enforced.

----------

The Supreme Court of Justice has ruled that property owners can set a time limit on rental contracts. The court said that the ruling that prohibits property owners from setting a limit to the rental contract violates the Constitution. The explanation is that the ruling dates back to the 1950s when owners right to limit the term of rentals was restricted because there was a state of emergency. The Supreme Court establishes that the years old decision considerably reduced the number of units on the rental market. The Supreme Court now establishes that the rental contract will end as established in the written contract, without the need of having to begin the eviction procedure.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Evicting

Supreme court ruling is surely helpful and optimistic but "without an eviction process" implies throwing them out, which seems to me will remain a dicey situation. Be interested to see some landlord's responses when they try it.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
why not?
if i am a renter,
and i sign a contract about a specific rental time period,
why should i have the right to exceed that time period i agreed to in the rental contract i signed?
on the other side all renters have the right as free persons on this mostly free planet not to sign such contracts/rent from owners who wanna get such signed.
so where's the prob with that?
i see that just fair.
Mike

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Some Dominicans, for the last 50 odd years, did the total opposite of your very civil comportment as a renter.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
i think i missed it now.
did you anser to my post or the OP?
Mike

As I'm sure you're aware Mike. It's no uncommon for some people (Dominicans) to stay as tenants for months of even years here, despite what a rental contract has written on it. This is why landlords tend to like gringos and in many cases when you look at newspaper ads, they specifically state they are only looking for foreign renters.

Why? Because they usually abide by the rules and the landlords don't have to go through the eviction nightmare that's expensive and can take months.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
...they specifically state they are only looking for foreign renters.

Why? Because they [foreign tenants] usually abide by the rules and the landlords don't have to go through the eviction nightmare that's expensive and can take months.

Prospect tenants should keep that very fact in mind when negotiating a lease with landlords... "our" reputation of being likely law abiding and respectful of property, agreements, including contracts, has a VALUE... a big negotiating value!

On the other hand, lets not forget that some of the riffraff the sea brings ashore at times works hard to make that positive impression go away. :bored:

... J-D.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Prospect tenants should keep that very fact in mind when negotiating a lease with landlords... "our" reputation of being likely law abiding and respectful of property, agreements, including contracts, has a VALUE... a big negotiating value!

On the other hand, lets not forget that some of the riffraff the sea brings ashore at times works hard to make that positive impression go away. :bored:

... J-D.

I agree 100%, it's great leverage and works!