Xmas terms/expressions heard in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2005
2. Aguinaldo

I don't know how to translate this but this is when the musicians and singers come to your door to sing and play the tambora, guira, etc.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
At this time of year, I often hear my husband saying "estamos en Navidad" to friends and family. Unlike North Americans who generally refer to Christmas as being December 25th, Dominicans consider the entire Chirstmas and New Year's season (December and until about the second week of January) as "Navidad" .

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
At this time of year, I often hear my husband saying "estamos en Navidad" to friends and family. Unlike North Americans who generally refer to Christmas as being December 25th, Dominicans consider the entire Chirstmas and New Year's season (December and until about the second week of January) as "Navidad" .

That is so true.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Noche Buena - christmas eve the night before Jesus was born, that was the big night at my house, a huge special dinner with fruits and wine and ponche crema de oro, lol

Aguinaldos, christmas songs, or Asalto navidenos (not sure what they are called in the DR, its been long since i was part of that) groups of families would go and visit a house and sing christmas carols outside the door and everyone would be invited in to sing and drink tea or eat, those were fun.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
Noche Buena - christmas eve the night before Jesus was born, that was the big night at my house, a huge special dinner with fruits and wine and ponche crema de oro, lol

Aguinaldos, christmas songs, or Asalto navidenos (not sure what they are called in the DR, its been long since i was part of that) groups of families would go and visit a house and sing christmas carols outside the door and everyone would be invited in to sing and drink tea or eat, those were fun.

MAR, Dec. 24, the biggest night in every Dominican home. The food exchange among neighbours on that day is something I will never forget.

It is interesting that you use the expression asalto navide?o. It is un asalto, because they take you by surprise.

Last edited:

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
MAR, Dec. 24, the biggest night in every Dominican home. The food exchange among neighbours on that day is something I will never forget.

That's one thing i love about the my own country (DR), Navidad it's truly a family occasion, the food, the music and the friends.Dec. 31 we also exchange food, it's a big night like Dec. 24

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
That's one thing i love about the my own country (DR), Navidad it's truly a family occasion, the food, the music and the friends.Dec. 31 we also exchange food, it's a big night like Dec. 24

True, Dec. 31 also a big night in the DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.