Gardening Book for the Dominican Republic

sailin

May 1, 2008
I'm planning on living on the North Coast near Sosua and plan on growing a large vegetable garden. Has anyone ever found a gardening book that would be appropriate for the area? I have searched online and came up empty handed. Flowers and decorative plants would be a plus. Any ideas would be appreciated.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I live in SD,but have been using the Earthbox units as seen on CNN or Fox,and have them on my roof...grow tomatoes all year long,as well as peppers,and cuckumbers, and tried corn one year...easy to use and great yield.Can be seen at Earthbox.com.The box is also great for plants...

bob

sailin

May 1, 2008
I checked out Earthbox.com. Very complete set up. Looks easy too. I guess my main problem is not knowing about growing in a different climate. I'm used to the Pacific Northwest. Was looking for reading material on different plants I could try or flowers to plant in my yard. I think I might just look for a Flora Fauna book for the area and go from there. I'm definately going to do some kind of a raised bed set up.

Bangorfrank

Nov 22, 2008
Gardens

There are many books available in Florida regarding tropical plants since the DR has a climate very similar to Florida. Another good way to go is to visit jardinieras (plant nurseries), also a visit to the Santo Domingo botanical garden would help, it's in the north part
of the city and a bit hard to get to. I have gone there a few
times and got good ideas as to what plants do well here.
Another very good option, which I did with very satisfactory
results since he's now landscaping our house, was to talk with
Sr. Juan Hausen who has ample knowledge of tropical plants and
has a large nursery. If you want more information contact him at
Hausenlandscape.com. It may avoid you making costly mistakes.
You can also go to bookstores but books here are very costly,
used books are hard to find & also not cheap. Well, good luck with
your projects. Let us know when you have veggies to give away!