What would YOU do?

Feb 7, 2007
Tonight, I was spending some time at friend's house in a barrio in Higuey. Around 12 midnight a person (a driver of a tourism van) sparked up a conflict with me because HE thought my car was badly parked. He started using very nasty words, and later it got physical. He hit me to the head and hit me with a rock at my back. I did seek medical attention and have my medical report.

Now, I have quite some local pull and can have him arrested for battery and prosecuted. The problem is he has several brothers living in the very neighborhood of his, and they all live on the same street as my friend does. If I get this guy arrested, his brothers may retaliate later on, either there in the barrio when I visit my friend's house, or they can find out where I live (I am quite known in the area and the city).

What would you do?
1) Would you prosecute,
2) would you let it calm down give it some time and then do "it" the "wild west vengance" way, or
3) would you forget about it for fear of retaliation?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
3) Walk away and live another day!.......not that I would ever be caught in a barrio!

"Revenge is Mine" sayeth the incarcerated !

Last edited:

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Walk away!

There is nothing you can win by revenge.
If you follow up on this they have you killed!

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Karma baby!!

what goes around comes around!! Believe in that and his day will come!!

It's the law of attraction!!

Be the better man and walk away!:bunny:

Mar 2, 2008
Let it go, and lesson learned. It is easier all around just to move the car to begin with, whether it was poorly parked or not. Saves a lot of problems in the long run.

Reactions: Lapurr

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
let it go, and try not to hang out too often in that barrio...
If you're posting on DR1, chances are that you are very different from the "barrio type"... So the best is to put some distance...
That said, I really understand your "rabia", as sometimes on feels like retaliating in a way to "ease off" the pressure.
But the bottom line is that it would be a mistake.
Don't hang out in a barrio around midnight...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
It is impossible for you to win.

A Dominican will fight to the death rather then admit they are wrong.

It would be a BAD mistake to pursue any action on this matter.
You should have just moved the vehicle.

I hope you have learned from this incident.

Don - SantiagoDR

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Depending on who you know...

If your friends with the local DA, take him/her and their usual entourage and go pay the guy a visit. You don't need to have him arrested, but let him know if anything happens, he has a VERY serious problem. Get an apology, shake hands and walk away.

I have seen scenario and it's often effective. He knows you have some pull and so will the locals, including his brothers.

Then again, you can just walk away....

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Tonight, I was spending some time at friend's house in a barrio in Higuey. Around 12 midnight a person (a driver of a tourism van) sparked up a conflict with me because HE thought my car was badly parked. He started using very nasty words, and later it got physical. He hit me to the head and hit me with a rock at my back. I did seek medical attention and have my medical report.

Now, I have quite some local pull and can have him arrested for battery and prosecuted. The problem is he has several brothers living in the very neighborhood of his, and they all live on the same street as my friend does. If I get this guy arrested, his brothers may retaliate later on, either there in the barrio when I visit my friend's house, or they can find out where I live (I am quite known in the area and the city).

What would you do?
1) Would you prosecute,
2) would you let it calm down give it some time and then do "it" the "wild west vengance" way, or

Living in fear is no way to live...

What will happen the next time you happen to visit your friend and he thinks he can just bully you?

A man is a man is a man!

Use your connections in the DR and have a local (and very well know Police Matatan) visit him and offer him a clear and present warning of what he should avoid for the rest of his natural life. At the same time making clear that he must apologize for the event, else he would get what's coming to him...

Fear of the known is the only thing Dominicans (thugs) understand...

Since the inception of add-ons to use in our hands, not two men are at any disadvantage any longer...

He used violence and intimidation to claim his superiority, show him that he can be squashed like a fly in the wink of your eye...

Believe me when I say he will sober up really quick after that!

The DR is governed by the law of social status and who you know. Learn to use it or pack your bags and leave as this country is not going to buck the trend anytime soon...

In our time there are some necessary evils we must confront or impart, in order to have peace under the shadows of power...
Until a Utopia can be achieved that is my best and only advice in this particular case...

Learn to use the power you have under your hands in the DR, the sooner the better...

Feb 7, 2007
3) .......not that I would ever be caught in a barrio!

hehehe here in Higuey, besides the very city center and commercial/business district everything is barrio ....
Differences are "inner city" barrio, "outskirts" barrio and campo "barrio" ... all forming part of the city

Reactions: FernieBee

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Rubio_Higuey
First lets thank GOD for your health
apparently you only surfer some minor injuries..
See in all fairness you could have walk away from this argument prior to escalating to a physical encounter... well as a result you got in to a fight with a local upset driver...
Your choice.. Go to the police get him arrested and go to the tribunal and see if they will actully find him guilty.
second choice confront the driver onces more this time you land the first punch, another choice is (my personal suggestion) approach the family and let them know that you have the power to put him in Jail but as an adult you want just to leave things in the past and no more fighting...

I dont recommended that anyone gets in to a physical encounter with no one..is jsut not cool to fight...but @#$%^ happens..
You will not be a pariguallo if you end this with peace....
The important thing is that you lived to tell us all about it...
suerte.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
there you go with the sheep mentality again. first poster says, walk away and everyone else after him says the same thing. Then robert and pichardo come in and say, show him the police way and now people are thinking differently.
Let me tell you, I am with robert and pichardo. take the mayor from police station and introduce him to the guy. See how quickly the guy will sober up. I have done this all the time. I have had an accident where the guy simply ran into my car doing a reverse. He then comes out and says, why was I behind him anyway? My car was parked he simply went reverse without looking and hit me. Then he goes on to tell me to screw off, there is nothing I can do and he doesn't care about police or anything. He was a barrio thug. He saw that I was a foreigner so he acted tough. I called the police and blocked the guy from leaving. The police took both of us to station. I told the police in a very civil manner how the whole event took place and how the tigre insulted me and the police by saying no one can do a thing to him. hahahaha
4 police guys went up to him and confronted him. The guy knew an ass-whipping was on the way. So he quickly became a rabbit from a lion. Apologized to me, invited me to his house for coffee and compensated me for damage, right on the spot.
Another time my car radio got stolen in san jose de las matas. I had the police round up about 15 plus tigres from the barrios and had them locked up along with some serious ass-whipping. Show the thugs you are just as angry and nuts as they are and watch how they will back off quickly. Generally speaking, dominicans want no trouble. The guy has you confused for a chicken tourist who only becomes a victim here.
Take the police to him and have him locked up. let him spend money to get out and see how quickly his family will be asking you for mercy.
AZB

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Hey Rubio

Sorry to hear what happened, feel free to pop round for a cuppa! I do actually..and i can't believe i am saying this, think you should do what AZB and robert said. The problem is that many people will ignore this kind of behavior and thats why it goes on so much. But do it in a way that shows you really have conections!

If you do however decide that the police are not the way to go and you will sort it in a ..well behind the scenes way, just remember that revenge is a dish best served cold!

I have some mince pies to go with that cuppa, be nice to see you!

x

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
First of all, I have a hard time understanding, how the hell a badly parked car dispute escalated to a physical fight? I haven't seen myself fall into a situation like this since I was a teenager. if my car was parked in a way that it was blocking someone's way. i would have apologized to the man and had corrected the positioning of my car accordingly to what the man's satisfaction. What could have gotten this discussion into a full blown fight? Even if the man is drunk, I just can't see him throwing a rock at me if I have corrected the problem in a satisfying manner. On the other hand, if I had refused to comply with the man's demands and told him to F'off, then I can see myself getting into some problems.
Now if you are completely innocent I think you should refer this case to police now.
AZB
P.S, get him arrested on friday so he will spend the weekend in jail. No court on weekends so he stays in till monday.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
What would you do?
1) Would you prosecute,
2) would you let it calm down give it some time and then do "it" the "wild west vengeance" way, or

1) Would you prosecute,? HIGHLY unlikely because I could not guarantee his conviction & then incarceration!!
2) would you let it calm down give it some time and then do "it" the "wild west vengeance" way,? MOST likely but done to achieve MAXIMUM safety for myself AND my friends.
3) would you forget about it for fear of retaliation? No EVER loving way!!

Rubio,
I have noted your replies on DR1 over the years & respect you (don't always agree but I do respect what you say & HOW you say it!!). I have noted a HIGH degree of intuition towards the Dominican ways of doing things. To this end I feel you have something else in mind in asking these questions as you certainly have enough brain power & understanding of Dominican 'social standings' NOT to need our advice on what to do within the three scenarios listed above.:surprised:ermm:

Looking outside your three questions as to what I would do really has MORE to do with answers you have not yet given.
Why did my 'friend' not intervene at an early stage & advise you of the 'power' this person & his brothers wielded in the barrio?
Why did he not get involved in the confrontation &/or invite his neighbours to come to your assistance?
Is this 'problem' more of a weak neighbourhood response over the years TO this family & is THIS your way to overcome the fisticuffs YOU had to endure on their behalf?

Rather than questioning how I would teach the attacker my DIRECT power, I would look to cement my friendship to the barrio by using my contacts in 'High Places' to bring a greater 'equality' to the barrio - i.e. reducing the power of the brothers within the barrio.;)

Were I not able to get a satisfactory (to me) reason why my 'friend & his friends' had not stepped in to defuse the situation OR come to my assistance during the verbal AND physical confrontation, I would also be considering how good a friend my 'friend' was!:paranoid: ~ Grahame.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

What would you do?
1) Would you prosecute,

My question is, why the friend you were visiting didn't help you?If you are not a Dominican and you've decided to lived in the DR you need to start acting like a Dominican, you shouldn't have allowed that guy to beat the crap out you. Why didn't you fight back?You need new friends, not the pussy that didn't do anything to help his friend that was visiting him. I don't like problems, i don't fight, i can be very shy, but if i have to fight, i'll fight even if he kill me there, of course after i fight him, he will have to fight my brothers, friends, uncles, aunts, sisters and even my brother dog, next time don't be afraid to throw a few punches.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
my question is, why the friend you were visiting didn't help you?if you are not a dominican and you've decided to lived in the dr you need to start acting like a dominican, you shouldn't have allowed that guy to beat the crap out you. Why didn't you fight back?you need new friends, not the pussy that didn't do anything to help his friend that was visiting him. I don't like problems, i don't fight, i can be very shy, but if i have to fight, i'll fight even if he kill me there, of course after i fight him, he will have to fight my brothers, friends, uncles, aunts, sisters and even my brother dog, next time don't be afraid to throw a few punches.

exactly!!!!;)

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, rubio_higuey. I hope things work out for you, whatever you decide to do.

Feb 7, 2007
First of all, I have a hard time understanding, how the hell a badly parked car dispute escalated to a physical fight? I haven't seen myself fall into a situation like this since I was a teenager.

Look... this is what happened.

The car was parked on a street in front of my friend's house... usually cars and motos can pass fine ... round 12 comes this guy on a bigger guagua (tourist transport) - the 20 passanger van.
So he THINKS he cannot pass ... strats hitting the horn like crazy.

I tell him to calm down that I would re-park the car so he could pass. He keeps hitting the horn and starts shouting all kind of bad words, including maricon and mamagxxxx to which I replied ... "hablas de ti?" Probably that accelerated him even more, and when I started to move the car he hit the gas pedal hard and sped by my car like a crazy...you could hear the tires squeezing.

I controlled myself...but I said to myself that being that a tourist driver I will report him to the owners. So about 5 minutes later I walked down the street (5 houses) to check the tourist company name on the van and the "ficha" of that vehicle. A neighbor was in the window of a house nearby and told me not to go fight him.

I told the neighbor I was not going to find anybody that I had no intentions to escalate anything, that I will only check the car's ficha and report the guy to the company. Apparently, the guy hears this as he was still around the vehicle and started screaming that he would kill me.

I said I was not looking for trouble and for him to calm down. Now he comes approaching (I was still about 2 houses from "his" van) with two big rocks, one in each hand. I told him to calm down with my hand raised in front of me (sort of showing I had nothing on me and was not looking for trouble). And I said to him (maybe this was stupid on my part) that if he keeps on being accelerated he might get into a trouble and that i really din't want for anyone to have any problems out of that conflict.

Then he started to scream all kind of things (what he said I don't really remember) and tried to hit me with the rocks. As I was backing up, he hit me with one in the upper back, and the other fist with the other rock slightly hit my head, fortunately at that moment there were people around trying to restrain him.