Smellphone Confusion

Yachtguy1

Sep 30, 2008
I have had an Orange prepaid phone for a long time now, but I am moving to the DR this winter permanently... What are the best deals on phones with texting, e-mail, etc to the US if I am going to use the phone often. I have two businesses and am on that sucker A LOT!

I also have a vonage V-phone that works for calls from the DR to the US really cheap, but if I can have my phone do the e-mail and texting thing reasonably, I'll go for it.

Any ideas?

Sep 19, 2005
I have had an Orange prepaid phone for a long time now, but I am moving to the DR this winter permanently... What are the best deals on phones with texting, e-mail, etc to the US if I am going to use the phone often. I have two businesses and am on that sucker A LOT!

I also have a vonage V-phone that works for calls from the DR to the US really cheap, but if I can have my phone do the e-mail and texting thing reasonably, I'll go for it.

Any ideas?

Ill answer now, because I know smarter people are on their way! ha ha

my ex gf told me that she would only get charged 1 peso for each text message she sent me. that was with a pre paid phone.

I have alsio heard that the rates and better if you get a post payed plan.

dont know about he email option.

from what i have read here...the "plans" can be super super confusing.

good luck getting the info you need

bad bob

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Orange charges the same per minute for calls to the US (land and cell equally) as calling with it withing the DR to a land line number across the street.
Now, prepaid rates will give you less talking minutes than some of their "contract" bulk plans where you commit to buy x-numbers of minutes per month. If you go over those committed minutes, you can add minutes by buying "cards" just like on the pre-paid scheme but, again, you'll get more bang for you buck... in other words, more minutes for your chelitos.
Calling cards don't pan out as a good deal with Dominican cell phones, as you will pay the land line rate to your card service number PLUS the card rate.
The only other good way is VOIP (Voice Over IP... aka. Internet telephony)... skype etc. (search the forum... you'll find tons of recent information and opinions).

... J-D.

Feb 7, 2007
You can buy Blackberry (data) plans on both Orange and Claro. They are about 1500 pesos per month for unlimited service.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Hey Rubio!

Unlimited to the US for 1500 pesos per month!!??

...the data plan for Blackberry is unlimited, for email, internet, downloading, etc...you still need to add a standard voice plan...and calls to the US are not included - for example in the 500 or 900 minutes "included" per month. On most Claro plans I believe the calls to US are about 3 pesos per minute.