Dominican neighborhoods, etc in New York City

S

Sarah

I should have asked this a couple of weeks ago, as I made my first trip to New York City this past week to attend a trade show. But for future reference, please post Dominican things to see and do while in NYC. I was told I could have found restaurants around 160th or so uptown, but was cautioned not to go up there by myself, especially on my first trip. What's up with that?

H

Hillbilly

160 is near the Med Center...

and considered "pretty hot" area. If you go up higher, like to 181 and Broadway or Amsterdam or Cathedral or Pinehurst, you are in the center of Dominicana/Alto Manhattan. food, clubs you name it and it is there. Lots of really nice folks and good people. Stop in any store or travel agency and ask for what you need.

HB

D

Dee DeMusis

Hi there, COOL Sarah!!!!!!!

If I knew you were going to be in town, I would have shown you around El Barrio!!!

But to add to the list, ACADEMICALLY, there is the Dominican Studies Institute at City University of New York, 138th and Convent Avenue. Contact person is Sarah Aponte. They have a huge resource library and all manner of information available.

To but books, Lectorum on 14th Street between 7th and 8th Avenue...they have books from all over the Latin world, and a huge Dominican selection.

The DR consulate is at 1501 Broadway [on the fourth floor]at the heart of Times Square and all the "other" New York action. My place is just four blocks from there--Anyhou, they are the main suppliers of Tourism info in the States [any DR consulate, actually].

There are several Dominican parades during the year, usually in the summer. The biggie, in manhattan, is usually on or about August 15th. Others take place across the river in ' Jersey and up in the Bronx, on the Grand Concourse near Yankee Stadium area.

But the heart of "Dominican Town" is 181st Street from Amsterdam to the River. All the best of Santo Domingo right here. they don't call it "Quisqueya onm the Hudson for nothing!!!

Talk to you soon.

T

Tom F.

Re: 160 is near the Med Center...

Sarah, As you go up Broadway in Manhattan, the Dominican neighborhoods start right around 135th Street and go all the way to the tip of the island at 219th Street. The reason why you hear about these areas being "hot" is because of the drug trafficing in the area. You don't see it in the streets but any violent acts are between criminals. I spend a lot of time walking around these streets and have always felt safe and secure. You will not have any problems taking the 1/9 or A train up town, walking around and finding a nice place to eat. Feel free to email me if you need specific suggestions. You will also find huge enclaves of Dominicans on the Lower East Side in Manhattan, and in Williamsburg, Bushwick, and East New York in Brooklyn; Richmond Hill, Corona, Ridgewood and Long Island City in Queens, and all over the Bronx. There are also many more areas which I am less familiar. It is amazing but as you explore the city, you can find Dominican owned bodegas (small grocery stores)in most every neighborhood in the city.

S

Sarah

Tom & Dee...

My trip last week was on short notice. I'm really sorry I didn't post something sooner. Believe me, next time I'll let you know. Thanks for all the tips. ~Sarah