iphone GPS???

A

apostropheman

Is there currently a real time, talking, accurate, turn-by-turn GPS app for the iphone or at least one due in the near future?

I read that TomTom has software that will work but no one seems to know if or when that will be available as an app...or the cost :(

I wish Garmin would step up! :)

The google maps feature is cool but does not come close to competing with a dedicated GPS unit...not that it was designed to but I can dream! :D

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
The app store has certain restrictions preventing 3rd party developers from creating some types of applications. This happens to be one of them. I have heard the rumors of Garmin and others working on stuff but being told by Apple they cannot release them in the app store.

It seems Apple is working with someone or some company to develope this application and wheover it is is simply too slow and putting something out. We will have something eventually but it will either be a freebie 3rd party application requiring a jailbroken phone or whoever Apple has made their agreement with has to get off their asses and release something.

A

apostropheman

Agreed.

I'm betting Apple wants to cash in on the GPS software itself. It'll be a huge moneymaker...if it's any good and not too expensive.

Hopefully it won't take too long.
The app store has certain restrictions preventing 3rd party developers from creating some types of applications. This happens to be one of them. I have heard the rumors of Garmin and others working on stuff but being told by Apple they cannot release them in the app store.

It seems Apple is working with someone or some company to develope this application and wheover it is is simply too slow and putting something out. We will have something eventually but it will either be a freebie 3rd party application requiring a jailbroken phone or whoever Apple has made their agreement with has to get off their asses and release something.

thomas901

May 4, 2008
**** an iphone... google the I9 phone...its a clone from china...has everything an iphone does except for gps and wifi... you can find them for 125 bucks and you can get it shipped straight from china for 15-25...look on ebay and youll find one for that (buy it now) price. this also has something the iphone doesnt.. DUAL SIM CARDS!!!! which means you can use two sim cards from two different carriers at the same time!!!! i have one on the way now. i plan on putting my at&t US card in one slot and my orange in the other... or you could have one claro and one orange sim for when one of the services is acting up. just watch out because there are many different versions of the i9...a lot of them have different specifications like lower quality cameras, low memory, etc. mine has a 2mega pixel camera with 8gb memory. ive seen a lot of them with 1.3 MP camera and 1-4 gb memory. they also have a clone called the t32 that has wifi and gps...but no dual sim card...i believe some of them have it but it seems to be rare. the t32 will cost you around 200-250..dont be a lame brain. you know that other 500 would be better spent on ******* and beer

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
**** an iphone... google the I9 phone...its a clone from china...has everything an iphone does except for gps and wifi... you can find them for 125 bucks and you can get it shipped straight from china for 15-25...look on ebay and youll find one for that (buy it now) price. this also has something the iphone doesnt.. DUAL SIM CARDS!!!! which means you can use two sim cards from two different carriers at the same time!!!! i have one on the way now. i plan on putting my at&t US card in one slot and my orange in the other... or you could have one claro and one orange sim for when one of the services is acting up. just watch out because there are many different versions of the i9...a lot of them have different specifications like lower quality cameras, low memory, etc. mine has a 2mega pixel camera with 8gb memory. ive seen a lot of them with 1.3 MP camera and 1-4 gb memory. they also have a clone called the t32 that has wifi and gps...but no dual sim card...i believe some of them have it but it seems to be rare. the t32 will cost you around 200-250..dont be a lame brain. you know that other 500 would be better spent on ******* and beer

This is by no means an iphone replacement unless all your looking for is something that "looks" like an iphone. The interface is touch screen sure but the functionality of the I9 is not even close to the iphone.

If you want a touch screen phone there are many options out there. If you want a phone that looks like you have an iphone but really isn't then I guess the I9 is a viable choice. Just don't expect the same functionality.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
They sell the clones here for RD$6-7K. They are junk, even the wannabe jevitos will not touch them.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The old clones are junk, but the newer clones example: M88 is the real deal. It has wifi and all. Its not here yet.
AZB

thomas901

May 4, 2008
This is by no means an iphone replacement unless all your looking for is something that "looks" like an iphone. The interface is touch screen sure but the functionality of the I9 is not even close to the iphone.

If you want a touch screen phone there are many options out there. If you want a phone that looks like you have an iphone but really isn't then I guess the I9 is a viable choice. Just don't expect the same functionality.

other than wifi and gps...what does the new i9 not have? it supports java so you can download 3rd party software...whats wrong with the functionality? most people get the iphone for the mp3 player and the nice look...well..thats why i want one anyway...that and because it supports 2 sim cards at the same time. have you checked out the new model clones? i think the new i9 may be a little different than the one's youve seen. and for a little over 100?....ehhh i dunno. what makes it junk?

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
other than wifi and gps...what does the new i9 not have? it supports java so you can download 3rd party software...whats wrong with the functionality? most people get the iphone for the mp3 player and the nice look...well..thats why i want one anyway...that and because it supports 2 sim cards at the same time. have you checked out the new model clones? i think the new i9 may be a little different than the one's youve seen. and for a little over 100?....ehhh i dunno. what makes it junk?

The 3rd party applications of the iphone will not run on those clones. You will be able to run watered down stuff you get on cheaper phones but there is quite a considerable difference.

The clones might be fine for people looking for a simple phone/mp3 player it depends on what you want.

thomas901

May 4, 2008
The 3rd party applications of the iphone will not run on those clones. You will be able to run watered down stuff you get on cheaper phones but there is quite a considerable difference.

The clones might be fine for people looking for a simple phone/mp3 player it depends on what you want.

the new i9 supports java 2.0...so third party software can be used. do you know of an example of an iphone application that cant be used with java 2.0?? of course everything wont be as pretty as it would be on an iphone...color, resolution etc. but it saves about 400-500 dollars. is a quad band and can be used with any carrier, has dual sim cards and there is no data plan you must purchase along with the phone...when i was looking at the at&t website...it showed that you need to purchase a data plan at an extra 30 a month to keep the phone in service...you cant use the phone without the data plan. is that true???

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have an iPhone clone sitting in front of me that a local company gave me to review.

First impressions:

1. Build quality, crap!
2. Need to remove batteries to charge.
3. Dual sim is a good idea, that I like.
4. Build quality, junk!
5. Functionality, light years behind Apple.
6. Screen resolution, so so. You get what you pay for.
7. Build quality, terrible!
8. Camera, poor quality. No way a 1.3 mega pixel!
9. Touch screen is not so good. Not as responsive or as fluid as the iPhones screen.
10. Built in apps are very basic and not much better than many that you see in regular phones. Once again, light years behind Apple in this department.

Sorry, this is not an iPhone, it's not even close.
I'm glad they gave me one to review, as I would never buy one.

You drop it once and it will be destroyed. In case you need to be reminded, build quality, horrendous!!!

I'll post a full review with photos etc once I have had a chance to play with it some more, give me a few days.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
the new i9 supports java 2.0...so third party software can be used. do you know of an example of an iphone application that cant be used with java 2.0?? of course everything wont be as pretty as it would be on an iphone...color, resolution etc. but it saves about 400-500 dollars. is a quad band and can be used with any carrier, has dual sim cards and there is no data plan you must purchase along with the phone...when i was looking at the at&t website...it showed that you need to purchase a data plan at an extra 30 a month to keep the phone in service...you cant use the phone without the data plan. is that true???

If Java2.0 supports the applications you need then hey buy the clone and save your money. The applications available on the iphone are FAR superior in quality and abilities than what you will find on your clone.

As far as the savings you can find cheap used 1st generation iphones around if you spend the time and effort looking. I see them going for $250-$300 which isn't that much more than the clones and well worth it in my opinion.