Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dialing 1-800 Numbers?

I'll be in Sosua next weekend.

Thanks to all the help everyone has provided.

One more question... (I hope).

Does anyone know of a way to dial 1-800 numbers from DR?

Is there some sort of service with a direct number you can call and then they forward on your call... kind of like a Spoof Card?

I ask because the boss wants me to do some work over the holiday and he's wants to keep in touch

Thanks.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a post about this about a month ago and I wrote it down for future reference. Apparently, it's charged like calling a local number in the DR. What you have to do is the following:

For a 1-800, dial 1-880.....
    For a 1-888, dial 1-881.....
    For a 1-866, dial 1-882.....
    For a 1-877, dial 1-883.....

If this is wrong from what I got from previous posts, someone please correct me.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

To dial an 800 number you would dial 880 instead of the 800. You will be charged at the same rate as a regular call to the US.

For 888 replace it with 881
    For 877 replace it with 882

Calls to the US from cell phones in the DR are the same price as a local call, so it is cheap.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fiesta Mama View Post
    There was a post about this about a month ago and I wrote it down for future reference. Apparently, it's charged like calling a local number in the DR. What you have to do is the following:

For a 1-800, dial 1-880.....
    For a 1-888, dial 1-881.....
    For a 1-866, dial 1-882.....
    For a 1-877, dial 1-883.....

If this is wrong from what I got from previous posts, someone please correct me.

This is an amazing piece of secret information! Thanks!

The only other way I had, until above, was to call 1-800's using skype.

... J-D.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are on Orange max, just dial directly (1800, 1888, etc). It DOES NOT work on other Orange plans (flex and card)

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

This "secret" dialing method is not free, I am fairly sure it costs the same rate as a local call, and eats up your calling card just as fast!

If you can ony dial using an 800 number, you are better off using a call center that uses VOIP, which most do.

tio tambo'

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    If you are on Orange max, just dial directly (1800, 1888, etc). It DOES NOT work on other Orange plans (flex and card)
    Sadly it does not ... I just tried it and also off my jodetel land line... it does not even return a message telling me I can not call this number.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    This "secret" dialing method is not free, I am fairly sure it costs the same rate as a local call, and eats up your calling card just as fast!

If you can ony dial using an 800 number, you are better off using a call center that uses VOIP, which most do.

tio tambo'
    Again Tambo, yer rite... sadly.
    Yep, voip works but we don't always carry it with us, now don't we? I would have been a nice secrete to be able to use.

... J-D.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J D Sauser View Post
    Again Tambo, yer rite... sadly.
    Yep, voip works but we don't always carry it with us, now don't we? I would have been a nice secrete to be able to use.

... J-D.
    I was referring to using VOIP @ any call center/internet cafe, you can use their phone for like RD3 or 5 pesos a minute, and 1-800 calls go through, if that is the only number you have, like a bank or airline.

Although I am fairly sure an international eagle scout such as yourself has a Blackberry tethered to his laptop!

tio tambo'

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just so I know for future reference, are you all saying that dialing the 1 in front and using those other extensions does not work from a regular land line and does not charge like a local call because I am not in the DR right now to test it and I had written it down for future use.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Used to be more

don;t know about now but used to be that dialing a 881 or other 88 number was 10rd a min. so more expensive than a normal call. can always try calling collect, thats a 0+ call, not all phones here will let you, but a house land line should.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast