Prostitution study

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
See summary in English from yesterday's DR1 News:

Prostitution study
A study by the Juan Montalvo Center reveals that 30% of sex workers in the provinces of La Romana, Santo Domingo and the National District began working before they turned 18.
According to the study, 73% of sex workers entered their line of work due to financial needs and lack of other job opportunities, while only 1% said they entered the field out of pleasure or curiosity.
Of the 100 women who were interviewed as part of the study, aged 18 to 35, only half had achieved 6th grade education level. A total of 12% did not have a birth certificate and 26% did not have an ID card. They did have 1 to 3 children, and 73% were single mothers.
The women told the researchers that 68% had been physically abused. Twenty-three per cent said they had been mistreated by clients, 25% by their parents and 51% by their former spouse.
63% said they had been arrested by the police, even though there is no law against prostitution in the DR. A total of 48% said they were physically mistreated when in police custody, 38% say they were sexually abused, and 40% say they were robbed.
A full 94% of the women said they would prefer to leave the profession for their children's sake.
Centro de Estudios Sociales Padre Juan Montalvo, S.J.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I don't believe in the 94% stats. i think most will come back to being a hooker if they have to sweat one bit doing any hard work. I have endless examples of this. When I lived in puerto plata I lived with italians. Through them I got to meet the whole italian community there, germans as well. many were either dating or simply married to hookers / ex hookers. These girls were given nice apartments to live in, even cars etc. The deal was, these girls maintained contacts with other hooker friends. When ever the husband or boyfriend went out of country to his native country, the girls were back in action in playa dorada or go out with some tourist to some other far out resort. They would tell the husband they are in campo at their mom's house (who has no phone line at home). So when the husband calls, the wife picks up the cell phone and pretends to be sleeping in her mom's house in country side village; often she wouldn't have any signal.
the moment these girls would get caught and get thrown out of the house, divorce etc, they would end up in a whore house the next day. I have seen endless cases of this with my own eyes. many end up in NY and then when they come back to visit their families, they sleep with their chulos and do some part time hooking on the side to make some extra cash. They usually charge more when they have american visas stamped on their passport. I think these hookers will tell you whatever you want to hear.
AZB

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
25 years coming in out of this country. I could not agree more. You can take the whore out of the barrio but, you can't take the barrio out of the whore.

Reactions: FernieBee
Sep 19, 2005
I would love to see the statistics t the same exact question from a group on NON prostitutes in the same age group and cities.

I am gambling that they wont be much different.

I really dont see the need for a man to abuse a prostitute.

nothing is expected of them that should cause that...men can walk away from them , men dont shed their emotion on them...men are not jealous of those womens actions..

I see the possiblility for abuse to be much greater in a non prostitutes life...where expectations are high......

just a thought.

thankfully prostitution is legal there...because the women are there to fullfill a monetary need..and legal or not they have that need, and would be doing the same thing either way...but their life would be just a bit worse if they had to deal with being a criminal to boot.

bad bad bob

Reactions: FernieBee

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
Abuse is Abuse. It is like Rape. It is not a matter of needing Sex. It is a matter of POWER. I agree there is NO need to abuse anyone., Either with words or with your fists. When I am in a relationship and, I get angry I just leave and, calm down. Before I say something I do not mean or will regret. Or I just shut down and, do not speak. I still make dinner, clean my home etc. I just do not get into the verbal bashing. Gets you nowhere.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Bob's point isnt whether or not it is necessary to abuse prostitutes. It's that very likely the prostitute's experience in terms of abuse may not be worse than that of the average woman at large.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Then....

I agree there is NO need to abuse anyone., Either with words or with your fists.

Then please don't refer to women as "whore's." It's rude and insulting. No matter their profession, there is no need to refer to any woman as a whore.

Mr. Lu

Reactions: Lapurr

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

nothing is expected of them that should cause that...men can walk away from them , men dont shed their emotion on them...men are not jealous of those womens actions..
Some people have self esteem issues and they need to feel in control by controlling someone else. This is especially true if the guy had an abusive childhood, particularly if the abuser was his own mother (it happens).

Such person may develop a hatred for women and at times, he might rape and beat a random woman or buy the services of a whor... uh, courtesan and then, proceed to establish control by imagining the woman representing his abusive mother or something along those lines.

The point is that there are sick people out there and they do sick things.

Ask yourself, why are some spouses abusive? By all accounts, there is no valid justification for it, and yet, many people abuse their spouse. Sick people.

-NALs

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
I will verify parts of this study by conducting my own hands-on research.

eg93et.gif

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
Do not refer to women who engage for sex for money as hoes. So what ? A rose by any other name is still a rose. Someone must still be wearing tightie whities.

Sep 19, 2005
Some people have self esteem issues and they need to feel in control by controlling someone else. This is especially true if the guy had an abusive childhood, particularly if the abuser was his own mother (it happens).

Such person may develop a hatred for women and at times, he might rape and beat a random woman or buy the services of a whor... uh, courtesan and then, proceed to establish control by imagining the woman representing his abusive mother or something along those lines.

The point is that there are sick people out there and they do sick things.

Ask yourself, why are some spouses abusive? By all accounts, there is no valid justification for it, and yet, many people abuse their spouse. Sick people.

-NALs

my point exactly.... I bet the abused women ratio is the same wether in the prostitute group or out of it..

bad bad bob

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Mario Serrano, Director of the Juan Montalvo Center, has a pretty ambitious agenda and is doing some good work for social change that far outweigh comments here about this particular one.
Should he wrap his work in an abrasive rubber so some are able to get a grip?
At least he has raised awareness about the issue, so comments could all be useful.
I guess that's encouraging.

Sep 19, 2005
Mario Serrano, Director of the Juan Montalvo Center, has a pretty ambitious agenda and is doing some good work for social change that far outweigh comments here about this particular one.
Should he wrap his work in an abrasive rubber so some are able to get a grip?
At least he has raised awareness about the issue, so comments could all be useful.
I guess that's encouraging.

abrasive in the inside or the outside?????????????????????????????????

bad bad bob

Mar 2, 2008
"i think most will come back to being a hooker if they have to sweat one bit doing any hard work. I have endless examples of this."

The difference between a scientific study, which has been properly conducted and appropriately peer-reviewed, and the stated opinion of someone telling of the 'many' examples he has seen is so vastly incongruous, it is ridiculous to even consider such a comparison, and in fact, there is none.

There is nothing wrong with personal opinion, much of it is based on very real personal experience, and there is also nothing wrong with presenting anecdotal evidence, or the stories someone has told to you, as long as people understand that this type of evidence is extremely biased, limited, and unverifiable.

There is a huge problem when someone uses personal opinion and anecdotal evidence to persuade others to reach certain conclusions, and in an attempt to discredit a valid scientific study.

There is no verifiable methodology when forming personal opinions, any fool can do it. But it takes time, effort, and professional overview to conduct a valid study.

Obviously, some people prefer opinions over studies because it is the easier of the two approaches. But consider which of the two is more valuable, and which is more likely to reflect a more accurate reflection of reality.

Try to put it in terms of, oh say, your own medical care. Would you prefer to take the prescribed course of treatment based on an uninformed opinion, or would you rather base your choice of treatment on scientifically proven medical practice?

It is completely up to each individual to decide for themselves, but in terms of which approach is a preferable reference for an informed discussion, I think the evidence is fairly overwhelming,

Sep 19, 2005
catch:

imagine.....for several moments quietly with no outside interferance....about the concept of a totally scientific study untainted in any way , that was completed in the domincan republic.

no biased pressure influences by monetary gains in any way......and no short cuts, period.......for normal study length periods......

wait, I need to go get an advil myself already....

I am not feeling it man.....

YOU???

hearsay rules the island..........

bad bad bob

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I would love to see the statistics t the same exact question from a group on NON prostitutes in the same age group and cities.

I am gambling that they wont be much different.

I see the possiblility for abuse to be much greater in a non prostitutes life...where expectations are high......

just a thought.

bad bad bob

I honestly doubt it would be the same.
There are people who actually get sexual graitifaction from abusing and hurting people. Us normal people cant wrap our heads around such a concept.
Most wackos know non prostitutes are more likely and less afraid to go to the police and press charges and they will usually know the name of the abuser, where he lives and works.
A prostitute who picks up some random guy on the street is not privy to such information, and therefore more vulnerable and an easier and more desirable target.

Over the years I have seen/read interviews with convicted serial rapists and murders in the USA, Europe and Canada who when asked why they targeted prostitutes to be their victims they all said that they knew they wouldnt go to the police or if they did they knew the police wouldnt really investigate the complaint or they probably wouldnt be missed by family and friends if they killed them. So they were much EASIER victims, especially if they were drug adicts.
Basically they were disposable people...and a lot of society view these women as less than, and these crazy people know that.
Higher probability they can get away with abusing/killing a prostitute than a bunch of school teachers and lawyers.

I know a Canadian woman who lived here about 10 years ago in the capital and she interviewed many prostitutes (the majority of their clients were local men) and the majority of these women had suffered extreme physical abuse and had the scars and injuries to show for it. many of them had a history of child physical and sexual abuse.

Another American friend who was volunteering here this year helped start a program to help prostitutes leave the life, by providing them with training and job skills. Alot of women joined the program and were eager to change their lives.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Its hard to believe some fellas here really believe that a woman who prostitutes herself enjoys what she does. Its for the monetary gain pure and simple. In the games adults play, isn't it much more rewarding for both parties when a sexual encounter is attained with no exchange of money, at least for me it is.

Reactions: corsair74

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
sex for money is always more fun than sexual abuse for free.

i think the problem here is who is/who isn't a prostitute. if you've done it once or a 1000times, you're a prostitute. so many of you living/dating women in the DR, she's probably been a prostitute. so this study is moot.

wonder if i could be a male prostitute in the DR ? all i want is a good cooked meal from a chica. :laugh: