Motorcycle schools.

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
Hi, can anyone tell me if there exists a motorcycle school that caters to expats ?

I want to get a motorcycle license, but i prefer an english speaking instructor for the lessons and the final test.

Does it exist.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Hi, can anyone tell me if there exists a motorcycle school that caters to expats ?

I want to get a motorcycle license, but i prefer an english speaking instructor for the lessons and the final test.

Does it exist.
This cracks me up:bunny::bunny::bunny:
It wouldn't surprise me if they never heard of anything like that here in the DR.
Might be an idea for a new business venture "ride a bike in the DR without getting killed"

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
This cracks me up
It wouldn't surprise me if they never heard of anything like that here in the DR.
Might be an idea for a new business venture "ride a bike in the DR without getting killed"

I'm sorry, yours was more of a comment than an answer to my question.

Were you trying to say that one can purchase and ride a motorcycle in the D-R without any license ?

Because i'm ashamed to admit-it, but i'm almost 20 years old, yet i still don't have any kind of drivers license.

Feb 7, 2007
The 5% of people that ride motorcycles in the DR who DO HAVE driver's license are people that also own (or drive) cars. For that reason they have a license.

You can go to any motorcycle store, with cash, get your moto, and ride off on it.... don't forget a helmet, now obligatory.

P.S. To get a DR driver's license, you have to be a resident

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
The 5% of people that ride motorcycles in the DR who DO HAVE driver's license are people that also own (or drive) cars. For that reason they have a license.

You can go to any motorcycle store, with cash, get your moto, and ride off on it.... don't forget a helmet, now obligatory.

P.S. To get a DR driver's license, you have to be a resident

Thanks for the info.

I assume a temporal-residency is also fine for getting a license ?

So i guess there won't be any motorcycle schools around, let alone an english speaking one ?

But would'nt the cops hassle me if they should happen to stop me for whatever reason, and i don't have any drivers license of any-kind ?

Oh-ya... don't i need a license to get insured ?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
But would'nt the cops hassle me if they should happen to stop me for whatever reason, and i don't have any drivers license of any-kind ?

Because you are not Dominican, they might.

Oh-ya... don't i need a license to get insured ?

Yes you do need. But I haven't ever seen one single motorcycle insured.

If you have a temporary residency, you can apply for your DR driver's license.

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
Because you are not Dominican, they might.

Yes you do need. But I haven't ever seen one single motorcycle insured.

If you have a temporary residency, you can apply for your DR driver's license.

I don't know... i think i'd want to be insured, especially considering i don't have any medical insurance in the D-R.

and if only sombody would be able to direct me to a motorcycle school before i make the big purchase.

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
learning to ride. riding a small bike is much easier when you ride anything you learn to keep you out of hospital is good.. one thing you have to learn is to use the rear brake alot. use the front only as an assist on dry clean road.. license is needed in d.r. mandatory for tourists i doubt it.. come to santi in jan and sign up at my school...

Hi, you posted an unfinished post !!

Who are you, do you own a motorcycle school in santiago ?

provide me with an address and more info, i am more than just a tourist, i am applying for my provisional-residency.

Thanks.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We're not a school, but we may be able to help if you have a moto. Our bikes are not "beginner" scooters: MotoCaribe Motorcycle Adventure Tours. But we require correct riding gear: helmet, long pants/shirt and sturdy boots at a MINIMUM.

There is no motorcycle licensing in the DR.

Motorcycle insurance as you think of elsewhere doesn't exist here, especially for theft and collision. We got it, but the restrictions would not work for the average person with bike.

Honestly, your BEST solution for PROPER training as a beginner is to go back to the states and take the 3 day Basic Course from The Motorcycle Safety Foundation: Motorcycle Safety Foundation . Best training possible. We are looking to become MSF Certified in the future.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
learning to ride. riding a small bike is much easier when you ride anything you learn to keep you out of hospital is good.. one thing you have to learn is to use the rear brake alot. use the front only as an assist on dry clean road.. license is needed in d.r. mandatory for tourists i doubt it.. come to santi in jan and sign up at my school...

This only works for small bikes and maybe some of the larger bikes, depending on their weight distribution. Dominicans believe that using the front brake is verboten, and that is why they dump the bike bikes here left and right.

I use the front brake all the time on my 115, on dirt as well. A friend of mine who used to race dirtbikes tells me they never used the rear brakes off road.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I use the front brake all the time on my 115, on dirt as well. A friend of mine who used to race dirtbikes tells me they never used the rear brakes off road.
Heavy front brake on dry, good pavement ONLY. I go like 70/30 front/rear on good, dry paved surfaces.

On dirt, sand or wet surfaces, 70/30 rear brake. Why? Those are the conditions when the front wheel will lose traction while braking, thereby giving you ~zero~ steering control. If the rear locks, you still have some steering control. But not when the front wheel locks. Then you're SOL.

There are conditions in the DR when I will use NO front brake at all, mainly hills on dirt roads.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you guys never cease to amaze me. i am scared to drive a big car let alone bike!
in any case, OP will need medical insurance, just in case. no point in getting a license just for a pasola/moto, better have few hundred pesos prepared to pay amet/police.
in case you wondered: north coast - no driving school with english spoken so good luck. and yeah, the theory test for the license is all in spanish...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Heavy front brake on dry, good pavement ONLY. I go like 70/30 front/rear on good, dry paved surfaces.

On dirt, sand or wet surfaces, 70/30 rear brake. Why? Those are the conditions when the front wheel will lose traction while braking, thereby giving you ~zero~ steering control. If the rear locks, you still have some steering control. But not when the front wheel locks. Then you're SOL.

There are conditions in the DR when I will use NO front brake at all, mainly hills on dirt roads.

This part I agree, but the op states that one really shouldn't use the front brake at all, which will get you killed lickity split on a big bike.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This part I agree, but the op states that one really shouldn't use the front brake at all, which will get you killed lickity split on a big bike.
You mean this guy?
donmobay said:
one thing you have to learn is to use the rear brake alot. use the front only as an assist on dry clean road..
I figured he must be an orthopedic surgeon just trying to drum up business..;)...'cuz the majority of stopping power in any vehicle on dry pavement, especially motorcycles, comes from the front wheel...

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
i have taught more than a few to ride... i will be there in jan and will get you going . i am sure you can reach me somewhere.....you can always come to santiago and ask around.. lol lol
I don't understand why all the secrecy ?????????

But O.K. if you insist i will come to Santiago and shout-out your name "Donmobay" O "Donmobay" come-out come-out wherever you are, throughout the streets of Santiago until you pop-out from a bush.

Feb 7, 2007
I don't understand why all the secrecy ?????????

But O.K. if you insist i will come to Santiago and shout-out your name "Donmobay" O "Donmobay" come-out come-out wherever you are, throughout the streets of Santiago until you pop-out from a bush.

This' a good one :)

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com

This guy just disqualified himself as an instructor in my book. Probably the first thing you learn in an MSF course is the 70/30 rule CB mentioned. Yes it's different in different conditions, but the natural response to emergency braking is jumping on the rear brake...this is the absolute WORST thing you can do...in ANY conditions...there's a reason most larger bikes have 2 front brakes and 1 rear brake...

On a bike you have to act as your own "ABS" system...

btw, I second CB's suggestion to take the US MSF course if possible. I don't believe there's any (at least decent) motorcycle training schools in the DR. You could try calling the Harley Dealer in SD (Magna Motors), if anyone would know, they probably would...many Harley dealers in the US offer the MSF course.

All that being said, if you are not an experienced driver, let alone motorcycle rider, I definitely would not recommend riding a motorcycle in this country...maybe start with a decent scooter...and be VERY careful!