Police Shakedown

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
First is there a Phone number to report a police officer when they are trying to shake you down ?

Here is what happened. Last night around 6pm I was at the park by the Faro. There were two cops who wanted me to stop. I asked what for ? We are the police stop for us and, pull over here. So I asked what is the problem Mind you I just bought a Used car from the dealer. It has a brand new placa, revista everything is 100 % legal. I asked him why are you stopping me ? The law says if I am legal using my seat belt and, not talking on my cel phone you have no right to stop me. After looking over all my documents he tells me I have a problem which I know is B.S. He just wants his Christmas propina. He got none from me. This is something that needs to be delt with. My friend and, I got stopped 4 times the other day same B.S.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm looking about bringing these to the DR. Want one?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MkZcG_pgp0Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MkZcG_pgp0Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BTW-we got randomly stopped 2 weeks ago while on tour. Cost us 2 cokes ("we're thirsty"), which were in a cooler in back. Instead of going back to get them with me, I had to go get them myself, bring them back into the vehicle, then hand them through the window...:cheeky:

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Last year I was stopped (in a taxi) 3 times...first time the taxi driver handled things and we moved on....no payment.

Second time, I told the taxi driver no to let on that I spoke Spanish. When the DR pig looked in at me, I went off in an English diatribe using words not fit to print, calling the mooching porker every name I could think of....he did not understand me but knew I was not happy....he sent us on our way quickly just to shut me up. The driver and I laughed all the way to my destination.

Third time, I was stopped it was by a high ranking NP who recognized me from the streets, colmados and bars I frequent....he said nothing and let us go....what surprised me was he was wearing his pistola hung on the front of his shirt! Truly just to intimidate the public.

Get used to it...it's the holidays in the DR.

Reactions: FernieBee

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
In reality the P.N. have no authority to stop cars. Only Amet. I have never been asked for propina from Amet. Plus this scam has been going on for the 25 years I have been coming here. It is not a matter of getting used to it. It is a matter of stopping the corruption. Long ago like 5 years ago my ex-girlfriend was sexually assaulted a long the road to Juan Dolio. Gun to my head in broad daylight. Thank God they did not go all the way. Her father was a Full Cornonel. Needless to say these guy were walking a beat in Djabon. MAYBE.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Last week in Boca Chica I got stopped for the first time since being here in the DR and by cops in grey. The one cop saw that I was not happy and said "no sea tan guapo" and that they were stopping me because the other cop was having his birthday the next day.
My response was Happy Birthday but why the f...k are you're stopping me in flawless Spanish taking them by surprise and leaving them with no other option than to wish me a nice day.
Almost cracked up when I saw the expression on their faces.
:bunny::bunny::bunny:

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
I've been a passenger several when my friend has been pulled over - she tells me not to speak (I do speak espan~ol) - and then she smiles sweetly at the PN and repeats "no espanol, no espanol" until they give up and let her go. It works for her - blank look, smile, no espanol..

Sanation

May 21, 2007
I've been a passenger several when my friend has been pulled over - she tells me not to speak (I do speak espan~ol) - and then she smiles sweetly at the PN and repeats "no espanol, no espanol" until they give up and let her go. It works for her - blank look, smile, no espanol..

I'm the 'friend' Bellamona refers to.... looks like she beat me to it!

Three times in the past few weeks I have been flagged down:

1. Outside Carrefour on Duarte about a month ago... I had barely opened my mouth and gotten the words 'no espanol' when I was waved away.

2. On the Samana Highway last weekend. I put the window down and simply said 'no espanol'.... the cops looked at each other and waved me away.

3. Saturday night on Maximo Gomez, between Independencia and the Malecon, I was flagged down and motioned to drive into an area surrounded by cones. I again used the line 'no espanol'... the guy is charge kept speaking to me, I kept replying 'no espanol'. His female colleague laughed a him and told him that I didn' speak spanish. He gave up and waved me on...

The moral of the story - NO ESPANOL! :cheeky:

GardenCraft

Jun 12, 2007
Driving today with sanation we encountered another shake-down.... kids had pulled a wire across the road and tied ribbon to it which stopped the traffic. Then they come to the window to ask for a 'toll'. They did get a laugh out of us. cheeky tigueres!!

Feb 7, 2007
Driving today with sanation we encountered another shake-down.... kids had pulled a wire across the road and tied ribbon to it which stopped the traffic. Then they come to the window to ask for a 'toll'. They did get a laugh out of us. cheeky tigueres!!

Saw and passed many of those. Many time school children asking for "donations" to celebrate some school farewell party or stuff... sometimes I give 10 pesos if I have some change ... but sometimes they are annoying and pushy and those get...nada

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I don't think there is any number to call and report police abuse. I just shrug it off, the most I ever gave was 50 peso. I have been stopped several times here. Most recently was yesterday while approching Villa Mella. The trick that always works for me is to pretent to understand no Spanish at all. They get frustrated and let you go. Yesterday, the cops (about 5) reviewed my docs, frisked me and searched my vehicle. The cop in charge told my girlfriend that they are looking for people carring guns etc. I believe this was a legit sting operation rather than looking for a tip $$.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Saw and passed many of those. Many time school children asking for "donations" to celebrate some school farewell party or stuff... sometimes I give 10 pesos if I have some change ... but sometimes they are annoying and pushy and those get...nada
Agreed.

I give money for the handicapped, school functions and sick kids. Oh, and the occasional enterprising youth filling potholes...;)

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Should the lesson not be at the very least - Learn to understand the language - and then you can chose if you want to use your knowledge!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I don't think there is any number to call and report police abuse. I just shrug it off, the most I ever gave was 50 peso. I have been stopped several times here. Most recently was yesterday while approching Villa Mella. The trick that always works for me is to pretent to understand no Spanish at all. They get frustrated and let you go. Yesterday, the cops (about 5) reviewed my docs, frisked me and searched my vehicle. The cop in charge told my girlfriend that they are looking for people carring guns etc. I believe this was a legit sting operation rather than looking for a tip $$.

that sounds like a usual firearms checkpoint,
we have them often here on the east, done by the police and the marine together.
sometimes i don't see one for a whole month, sometimes i pass 3 or more within a week, done on different spots.
they never asked me for car documents or such, that is the stuff only for the AMET which is not invo;ved in the firearms searches. they ask first if you carry a gun, so the usual answer is yes and they want to see the permit and then the gun to see if it is really the one noted on the back of the permit, that's it.
now dec 1st - jan 1st civilians are not allowed to carry a gun, so the answer would be no and they may search the car to make sure it is a real no.
Mike

dr.traveler

Jan 1, 2009
I just returned from SD and though I do not drive in SD myself, I know there have been a lot of checkpoints accross the city. I had a private tour guide for a tour and he explained to me that in December, they are having a lot of gun checkpoints because of the law, which I think is new this year of no guns in december. He explained that people shoot them up in the air a lot during the holidays but I am sure that they are used for more crime during the holidays.

Saw two different places that had checkpoints. The first was by the river, right at the bridge to cross over to see Columbus Lighthouse.

The second was on avenue indepencia, down from the private medical clinic. All week their were 4 police there for most of the day randomly checking cars.

I think these were good things, to keep people safe, not shakedowns.