Dominican Rat race - Chopos Fighting for Food

Feb 7, 2007
Funny Friday!!!!

So my friends, this was a hilarious experience I had last night.

I was invited to the employees' reception at Sirenis Resort (Sirenis Cocotal and Sirenis Tropical) in Uvero Alto (Bavaro).

Raulin Rodriguez was playing... lots of people... free rum and beer (just that) ... managed to talk to the Supervisor of Bars and get a bottle of Dewars.

Of course, the hotel cooks prepared some picadera - ham and cheese, onion rings, fried chicken, corn rolls, empanaditas, and some other stuff.

When they opened the "buffet" there was a group of hungry dogs (...sorry ... "people") waiting and as soon as they opened the buffet they all started fighting, pushing and kicking each other so as to get "best access" to the food. They were grabbing the food by plateloads (with the plate) and by their hands...lots of food...lots of hands. These people looked like hungry stray dogs that have not eaten for a month. It was unbelievable. I just stayed there and watched and filmed.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kLzn4cUzRS0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kLzn4cUzRS0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
DOMINICAN RAT RACE - CHOPOS FIGHTING FOR FOOD pt. 1

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0NadgATTU-w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0NadgATTU-w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
DOMINICAN RAT RACE - CHOPOS FIGHTING FOR FOOD pt. 2

Reactions: Rocky

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Reminds me of scene at my house last christmas. As our employees were all working i cooked a traditional english dinner for all of them but they were all invited to the house earlier and i filled big baskets with nuts, sweets, marshmellows etc. 5 mins after they had arrived it had all dissapeared and i couldnt believe my eyes. Then i noticed one particular young boy with his pockets bulging full of all the goodies, then at further inspection i saw they had all filled there pockets with goodies in a matter of minutes of arriving...I could not believe anyone could be so rude!
And ive see just about the worst manners imaginable here in the last four years.

Needless to say i wont be doing the same this year, which is a shame really as i love being the hostess and giving them a nice christmas day.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Really funny, I have seen this live before at a party at my house last year, I was giving free Chivo and Moro, it was a mad house just like this one.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Reminds me of scene at my house last christmas. As our employees were all working i cooked a traditional english dinner for all of them but they were all invited to the house earlier and i filled big baskets with nuts, sweets, marshmellows etc. 5 mins after they had arrived it had all dissapeared and i couldnt believe my eyes. Then i noticed one particular young boy with his pockets bulging full of all the goodies, then at further inspection i saw they had all filled there pockets with goodies in a matter of minutes of arriving...I could not believe anyone could be so rude!
And ive see just about the worst manners imaginable here in the last four years.

Needless to say i wont be doing the same this year, which is a shame really as i love being the hostess and giving them a nice christmas day.

What type of people did you invite to your Christmas party?

cuas

May 29, 2006

to bring to their loved ones.
Now I understand why Dominican's mother when invited to a party bring doggy bags home not for later but for her children because she would eat fine food while her children at home are having bread with chocolate de agua.
We did not have a hard life but my mother was always bringing goodies for us.
Still in NY when I go to a Dominican party when leaving I am asked if I want a plate to take home.
Dominicans carry food home.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Now I understand why Dominican's mother when invited to a party bring doggy bags home not for later but for her children because she would eat fine food while her children at home are having bread with chocolate de agua.
We did not have a hard life but my mother was always bringing goodies for us.
Still in NY when I go to a Dominican party when leaving I am asked if I want a plate to take home.
Dominicans carry food home.

I invited a lady friend of my wife's family to eat Thanksgiving dinner at my house in Santiago and now I know why she refuse to eat all the food we had.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
What type of people did you invite to your Christmas party?

Young dominican men who work for us. Its strange actually i have one young man who comes from an extremley poor background and not uncommonly supports his parents, brothers and sisters etc, but he has such good manners and very polite where as i have others who come from resonably good christian homes and they are the worst.

As teaching manners and politness are free i suppose those who teach their children morals can be from any background.

Is it ok with you that i employ and train young men from barrios or should i be training so called educated high class men to become trapeze artists?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

are we talking about the same loving mothers who prefer to have their nails and hair done than buy food for their family?
or father who always have enough to buy few cervezas but never quite enough to buy books for their kids?
:squareeye

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
wow...I know things are tough, but jeeeeez...it's just chunks of ham and cheese!!!

From the video you would think it was free money.
Oh my!
They obviously have no shame or self respect.
I could understand if 1 or 2 people were acting with poor table manners, but it looked like the entire bunch.
I doubt this had anything to do with bringing 'good' food home to their child who was eating bread. It was only cheap street food you can get anywhere on the streets of DR for pennies. That was greed and obviously their parents failed to teach them manners.
That was shameful!

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
are we talking about the same loving mothers who prefer to have their nails and hair done than buy food for their family?
or father who always have enough to buy few cervezas but never quite enough to buy books for their kids?
:squareeye

Good point!

I have a European friend who lives here and out of the kindness of his heart volunteered to teach a group of neighbourhood kids English. He provided drinks and hotdogs and hamburgers. He said that was a mistake!
He said once other parents heard he was serving FREE food they started sending their kids just to eat, not to learn. The kids were being taught to take advantage of someones kindness. The kids would be stuffing their faces as if they were starving, wrapping stuff up to take home for later. So no wonder they grow up and think this beahviour is normal at their work Christmas party, of all places.
He stopped serving food and the kids eventually stopped going.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hey guys,
c'on,
don't start to compare that to the US where the same class of people sure will not be better than their counterpart of people here.
Who the heck you invite for your x-mas meals/parties???
i have my boys since a decade always in a nice manner, they know to behave without anybody needs to tell a thing,
the neighbours get their plates too and the boys and their girls even carry those plates around.
thanks for the vid Rubio,
interesting and i know it is taken real out of live,
but if that's the behavior of a specific hotel's employees on their x-mas dinner,
what service provided by the same employees i would await as a guest at that hotel/resort??
funny to watch,
but with my 14 years of PC experience it is not what i would name "usual", and i never ever spent any of my x-mas parties or 'buena noche' eves at any resort, i spend that with the people, not with the "aquerosos de la mierda" like shown on the vids and described in the posts afterwards.
just don't invite the 'reps' to any party and stick with the people.
and you will have a real x-mas party/eve
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Good point!

I have a European friend who lives here and out of the kindness of his heart volunteered to teach a group of neighbourhood kids English. He provided drinks and hotdogs and hamburgers. He said that was a mistake!
He said once other parents heard he was serving FREE food they started sending their kids just to eat, not to learn. The kids were being taught to take advantage of someones kindness. The kids would be stuffing their faces as if they were starving, wrapping stuff up to take home for later. So no wonder they grow up and think this beahviour is normal at their work Christmas party, of all places.
He stopped serving food and the kids eventually stopped going.

so what??
is he wondering why? or what?
he should have learned about where and what he is doing first and then start his masterplan.
i teach dominican and haitian street kids in my own house,
sure they are different to your lil cousins you know from home, yes, the food looks very inviting to 'em, so heck, if you do some research about the stuff you plan to do of course do not invite them in your house with plates of food all over, what ya think why they would come back for the next day???
for some good talking from you or for a plate of food??
think first and start to do something after you have a real plan and know yourself what you are doing and in whhat surroundings.
teach them and let them know that the ones who try to learn get a benefit out of it, doesn't matter it will be in form of clothing, food, toys aso.
learn about the area where you wanna do good first,
and then do it the way it fits the 'costumbres' of the area where you wanna do good, otherwise you do NOTHING good, not even with the best intentions.
Mike

Feb 7, 2007
I have discussed this with people I was with in the party.

The people that were the "first bunch" were the "invited guests" of hotel employees (friends, family, etc.) but most likely not the employees themselves.

There were other people commenting that this "bunch" was like mad dogs unleashed... the whole "show" lasted about 5 minutes.... then the dogs got their plates full of ham and cheese cubes, and went away...

The normal people got their turns to serve themselves at a buffet... and it was more-or-less normal after that. Better yet, we the "normal" people that "waited" got actually somewhat better food....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Who the heck you invite for your x-mas meals/parties???

another thing - it's a matter of respect. miesposo on occasions organizes a party for his workers, they all have BBQ: chicken, chuletas, salchichas, platanos.
god help his workers if they would ever jump on the food like a bunch of hungry dogs! they sure eat a lot but they wait until everyone is full to ask miesposo (yes, ASK first) if they can take leftovers home.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right DV8
my boys would not jump the tables with the buffet neither,
the opposite, you have to push the first ones to start the 'run on the buffet'. it depends with what kind of crowd you are with and 'how you run your place'.
Mike

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My experience is that different behaviour prevails depending on location. At a public location, restaurant for a company Xmas party, there was a certain degree of let's call it enthusiasm displayed to get to the food (but no grabbing, jostling or snatching). At private locations i.e. people's homes I have observed much more restrained behaviour. At parties in our house with a mix of gringos & Dominicans, my experience is that the Dominicans wait until the gringos have helped themselves first ( despite us encouraging them not to do this). And the Dominican children have gone around being helpful, collecting used plates etc and were far better behaved than the foreign children.

Just some observations............