If a cop pulls me over

johncrapper

Dec 12, 2008
And asks if I posses drugs or alcohol.

What's the smartest thing to do if I do have something incriminating.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I doubt a Dominican cop will ever approach your vehicle and ask if you have alchohol or drugs (unless you are stopped close to a punto de venta de drogas or something like that).
As soon as he comes to the door, shake his hand with a 100 or 200 peso bill. Tell him its for a couple of beers and that you're in a hurry, if he could help you out letting you go. He'll tell you to have a nice day and you'll be on your way. Very few problems that money wont get you out of in this country.

The trick is to get money into their hands quickly before they want to look through your stuff. Always be polite and act genuine when handing over the pesos... Being nicely dressed and not looking like a tiguere is probably the best way not to get hasseled. Also, the car you drive in is very important to not getting bothered by these pigs... Newer nicer car = usually wont ever pull you over.

johncrapper

Dec 12, 2008
I doubt a Dominican cop will ever approach your vehicle and ask if you have alchohol or drugs (unless you are stopped close to a punto de venta de drogas or something like that).
As soon as he comes to the door, shake his hand with a 100 or 200 peso bill. Tell him its for a couple of beers and that you're in a hurry, if he could help you out letting you go. He'll tell you to have a nice day and you'll be on your way. Very few problems that money wont get you out of in this country.

The trick is to get money into their hands quickly before they want to look through your stuff. Always be polite and act genuine when handing over the pesos... Being nicely dressed and not looking like a tiguere is probably the best way not to get hasseled. Also, the car you drive in is very important to not getting bothered by these pigs... Newer nicer car = usually wont ever pull you over.
Thanks, that's very good advice. I'm asking because lately I've seen a lot of cars being pulled over during sunday nights, and they're always youngsters with moderately loud music, or maybe the just pick random people.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
And asks if I posses drugs or alcohol.

What's the smartest thing to do if I do have something incriminating.

Say yes and go to jail (unless it's alcohol) I've heard cops asking about firearms but drugs and alcohol is a new one to me.

Yachtguy1

Sep 30, 2008
Getting Pulled Over

Shake his hand and make direct eye contact. Be confident but not cocky, and respect their authority. DONT carry anything incriminating unless you want to see what the inside of a DR jail looks like, and don't let the conversation get to far along without offering the usual 200 - 300 peso "beer money"

If you speak Spanish, don't speak it too well

If you do not, look a little confused and offer the "beer cash"

Yachtguy1

Sep 30, 2008
Knowledge

Jones...wow, good percentage!! In later years, this has lessened up, especially since the AMET are making such good money and have a great reputation for not taking bribes...

BUT, my experience has been (especially on rural roads removed from town and city centers) that the Military and PN cops rely on such payments for their very existence. On the road to Luperon last year - while driving a new car and dressed professionally - I was stopped at a military roadblock and decided to try my luck after I was told very casually (with a smile and a handshake) that it was his son's birthday tomorrow. The conversation went PRECISELY like this:

"Hola, Senor (shakes my hand) Como estas?"

"Bien, Gracias...Y tu?

"Igual...(smiles) Es el cumplea?os de mi hijo ma?ana."

"Ahhh... Felicitaciones."

Blank stare...long pause...cop realizes that I don't get it.

"?Tiene algunas armas en su carro, se?or?"

He then proceeded to ask me to get out of the vehicle and open the trunk. I explained that I was late for a meeting with my attorney and pulled a lone 200 peso note from the center console.

I was on my way five seconds later with a smile...

Go figure. I have only had to pay in maybe 20% of the incidences, but if your paperwork is correct and the conversation goes for more than a minute or two, you know what they are up to.

AMET has NEVER asked me for anything but my paperwork. Thanks for your input. Maybe I could learn a thing or two from you...

Yachtguy