Tinted windows? Legal or not?

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
3 times in recent months i have been stopped by NP cops, not AMET, and told to take the tint (the plastic thing) off the windows. I always talked myself out of the situation, but i'm wondering is it legal or not? I have seen the plastic tint material by the side of the road, supposedly from other cars, but i'm not sure is it real or the cops put it there to make their operation look real? I have limo-tint on all the windows but the windshield.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Tinted windows (up to about 40%?) are legal. Blackout windows are not - and for good reasons too. In some driving situations, and for pedestrians and cyclists, it is essential to make eye contact with a driver or at least see which way his/her head is turned, which is not possible through blackened windows.

But as Fabio says, it is enforced erratically. :(

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The government should enforce the law. It's a money maker.

When vehicle owners did not renew their marbete. AMET was impounding vehicles not displaying the new stickers. The owners had to go to DGII to pay the tax and a fine to obtain the marbete, then a pay storage charge to get their vehicle out of the impound.

What is preventing AMET from impounding vehicles for tinted windows? ........Too many VIP's with tinted windows?

Regards,
PJT

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
I got the windows tinted so when my wife drives alone nobody can see it's only a 110 pounds girl in the jeep, and chances are less she'll get car-jacked.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
leave her a shotgun on the passenger seat, that's saver.
i have my windows darkened, too, minus the windshield. when i bought the car 2 years ago the windshield been completely darkened, too, i took it off on day 3, it's fu$$$ dangerous specially here on the east where we do not have roadlights or such, you wanna turn on nighttime means you turn into the invisible space, ha ha, you couldn't see a thing throu that windshield.
and the windshield itself is anyways a comfortably darkened windowglass, but the prior owner added that plastic crap to it.
been a tough job to get it all off.
Mike

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Wouldn't it be safer if she wore a false moustache?

Ah well now that's where some of us use our natural attributes :cheeky:;). Have to say though I'm around 112 pounds & it has never ever occurred to me that anyone would have the stupidity to attempt to carjack me. But then I have a 1988 jeepeta. With no tinted windows. :)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
... been a tough job to get it all off.
Mike

Ammonia takes it off with ease........
That's the reason you do not use a glass cleaner with ammonia in it to clean the plastic film!

Years ago I got a ticket for having tinted windows, the silver tint.
The fine was about 30 pesos.

Now, I just lower the power window if Amet is around.

Don - SantiagoDR

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Just wondering if this window tinted thing qualifies for DR1's being paranoid.....just wondering, NALs bought it up in one of his polls.:cheeky:

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
I had the windshield darkened too just a bit, but i had to replace it recently and haven't put the tint on the new one yet. It's great on very sunny days, the inside is much cooler.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Just wondering if this window tinted thing qualifies for DR1's being paranoid.....just wondering, NALs bought it up in one of his polls.:cheeky:

There is always someone that will make something out of anything!
NALS needs to get a life!

It keeps the car cooler when in operation...... that's my reason.