looking for the scenic route

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
I want to go from the south to el cibao and I was wondering if there are roads that connect Azua with Constanza or Sanjose de ocoa with Bonao. I really want to avoid going all the way to SD just to que Autopista Duarte. Thanks for the help

destinationbarahona

Nov 22, 2008
www.destinationbarahona.com
You are wellcome to explore the Southwest!
We have a lot of scenic roads in this area and if you are interested to go from here to Constanza, do it.
Barahona-Azua-Cruze de Ocoa-Ocoa-Constanza. You will pass the highest pass in the country. 4whell drive recommended if there was a lot of rain before.
Enjoy your trip! If you need recommandations for hotels in Jarabacoa, send a PM

You are wellcome to explore the Southwest!
We have a lot of scenic roads in this area and if you are interested to go from here to Constanza, do it.
Barahona-Azua-Cruze de Ocoa-Ocoa-Constanza. You will pass the highest pass in the country. 4whell drive recommended if there was a lot of rain before.
Enjoy your trip! If you need recommandations for hotels in Jarabacoa, send a PM

How is the road when not rainy? Can it be done with a regular car? Is it paved? I always wanted to try that route.

destinationbarahona

Nov 22, 2008
www.destinationbarahona.com
Hurrican season is over. Rain is not the problem any more. But it would be very good to have a car what is a little bit higher than a HONDA CICIC flat on the road.
No asphalted roads, but the way you can take with a normal car. Higher. Not the Macho-Sound-Car - just a normal car.p repared for the roads here. No overlaps on the tires. (Sorry, my english is far away from good). With other words: a car with spoiler and flat on the road= forget it. A normal car like Corolla, Sirion, they will do it.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It has been a few years since PJT has traveled the full San Jose de Ocoa - Constanza route and at that time one needed a 4x4 to travel sections of the road as it was unimproved, overgrown, and deep rutted at some locations.

One would doubt that there has been any improvements to the road since then as there has not been news of such. Within the past weekend PJT was in the Constanza area and traveled a short portion of that road and found areas that would impede a normal car passing. It suggests 4x4 operation.

Regards
PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A friend of mine goes San Jose de Ocoa to Piedra Blanca on a regular basis. he has a Nissan SUV, however just 2 WD...

It should be an interesting ride...

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It has been a few years since PJT has traveled the full San Jose de Ocoa - Constanza route and at that time one needed a 4x4 to travel sections of the road as it was unimproved, overgrown, and deep rutted at some locations.

One would doubt that there has been any improvements to the road since then as there has not been news of such. Within the past weekend PJT was in the Constanza area and traveled a short portion of that road and found areas that would impede a normal car passing. It suggests 4x4 operation.

Regards
PJT
I've spoken with transportation folks in Constanza, and they tell me the conditions are as you describe...on good, dry days. After/during rains? Nearly impassable, even with a 4x4.

I recall that road, as well as the Constanza-Jarabacoa road, are on Leonel's list to be re-done and PAVED!!! that would be awesome for us! But I'd like to be rich, smart and handsome, too. Neither are likely...:cheeky:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Great link. I am up for that trip....Let me get the pick up ready....andthe tents and sleeping bgs...

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You can avoid Santo Domingo by taking the road from San Cristobal through Medina, connecting with the Autopista around km40 south of Villa Altagracia. I know many folks who take it without problems. Cuevas del Pomier are along the routs, as is La Toma de San Cristobal.

That's the route MotoCaribe will be taking when we open our SW tours in February. We don't want to go through SD either.