Salt cured ham

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Any one tell me where I can buy a salt cured ham to cook for Christmas NOT one of these interminable smoked ones that the Dominicans and French seem to be addicted to. For my taste buds the only food that should ever be smoked and then only over oak chippings are kippers.
Thanks.

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
As a chef I would recommend what is called a lechon de cerdo. Or loma de cerdo. I would then marindada it in Mojo de Criollo in the Rfrig. for 12 to 24 hours. Then bake it or on the BBQ. Basting it with the Mojo. You can also use sour orange juice which is the Cuban way but you need to use your little Oscar and, blend garlic, onion, green peppers etc. Make sure to turn it and keep it moist. If you can get a Brown and Serve bag all done.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
As a chef I would recommend what is called a lechon de cerdo. Or loma de cerdo. I would then marindada it in Mojo de Criollo in the Rfrig. for 12 to 24 hours. Then bake it or on the BBQ. Basting it with the Mojo. You can also use sour orange juice which is the Cuban way but you need to use your little Oscar and, blend garlic, onion, green peppers etc. Make sure to turn it and keep it moist. If you can get a Brown and Serve bag all done.

You can buy Mojo de Criollo at any supermercado?
SHALENA

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
where are you?
german butcher in sosua sells excellent ham.
they may also prepare one especially for you, if you ask nicely...

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I?m in Las Terrenas, my first step will be to go and have a word with the people who supply german meats here. I understand he gets it all from Sosua. This coming year I?m going to prepare a salt brine tub, I gather from researches that back in the 17th century the British Navy was able to keep salt beef and pork in good condition even in the Caribbean! I don?t have any weevily biscuits anyway!