Christmas in the RD???

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
with 10 days left until Christmas ,I am wondering what prep for December 25,is like in the Dominican Republic? What are the traditions? How do families spend the day?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dec 25th is not as important the the previous evening, when families get together for the traditional 'Noche Buena' meal. Gifts are given to children on January 6th (Reyes) but in some parts of the DR the tradition is to give these on the 24th or 25th (El Ni?o Jes?s).

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Dec 25th is not as important the the previous evening, when families get together for the traditional 'Noche Buena' meal. Gifts are given to children on January 6th (Reyes) but in some parts of the DR the tradition is to give these on the 24th or 25th (El Ni?o Jes?s).

In Santiago and el Cibao, gifts are given to children on Dec 25th, in La Capital and the South in Jan 6th (Reyes).

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the Mrs and the boys will be in Santiago this year,
si lil Mike will do his own 'noche buena' cooking,
a plate of shrimps,
some cases of greenies,
a whole box of good wine,
enough red snapper filets to also feed the guys who take care about the res area around our house, like gardener, housekeeper, day and night security aso.
it is tradition in the DR that you bring plates of your x-mas eve food to your neighbours, specially to the needed ones who may not be able to do the shopping for a x-mas pork aso.
the 25th is the full holiday,
and that means we are out on the streets killing all beers we can lay a hand on, ha ha, but like i am in PC this year it will be more quiet than my usual x-mas campo visits. usually in the PC area there are just 2 kinds of perople present that day:
* the ones who have to work
* the ones who are off, and they are headed off to their home cities/campos aso.
the streets of PC are on 25th, jan1st very quiet and empty.
merry x-mas
Mike

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I had "my Dominican family" (the ones with the girls I send to school) over last year. The girls really dug the fact that we were going to set up a Christmas tree... actually they got almost more exited over it than about the many gifts I later placed under it. Even the adults took turns to get a picture shot standing next to the tree, just like taking fan pictures with Anthony Santos.
I organized (call it bought) gifts only for the children but also had a pig suckling on the BBQ and some disciplined amounts of beer.
All went well and the girls, who had brought along a long list of cousins and half sisters and half brothers enjoyed the fact that I declared the could open the gifts after supper on the 24th. Apparently, they knew too that some people do that.
My only mistake was the I put up some Christmas Music CD's (Johnny Cash's and my steel guitar hereo Buddy Emmons' Christmas records) only to find out that Christmas music not only was something they did not know or relate to the event but really did not care about. So, we went back to loud Merengue, Bachaticas and Salsa.
Then, I turned all the adults loose on the Malecon, packed up the kids, set'em all up on a big inflatable matress in front of the TV with all their gifts and went... to sleep.
Some adults showed up late for breakfast and others really went missings and only were seen again the following summer for a party at the river.

This time around, I got my cousin and his bride here... so we got less space. Since the Malecon where all the bulla is at, well most certainly be the final destination of the "adults" and would-be's, I decided I was going to set up the Christmas tree at one of the new little bars along the beach where at one we got friendly with one of the owners and I'll make a large seafood paella and bring a case or two of beers. Then, I'll do my usual life rescue thing, grab them kids and treat them to a nice evening while their parents and get trashed once again. Halleluya! :tired:
I got good locks! I'll have a tranquil and happy Christmas with the ones which still have some sense... the kids... after all, it's THEIR moment of glory... at least that's the memories I cherrish of Christmas when I was... a kid.

img1381or3.jpg

... J-D.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha
yeap JD,
i understand you a 100%.
you really can not bring that original x-mas feeling in here.
for the kiddies it is playing the way they would on any good organized kiddies birthday party and opening some gifts afterwards.
for the middle aged adults/parents of 'em it is just an other day of the year and invited to a house where booze and good food is free, as soon as mthat booze is gone and the stomacks are full they are back on the malecon, he he.
we know, some thingies are different here, lol.
but great that you go on to try to set it up like it should be, at least in our knowledge of back in the day.
this year i did not get a x-mas tree, few days ago i've been on the last try to find something what i would like, been at Iberia in Higuey, saw those 'trees', didn't like any, bought an other 7 packs of colored lights for the Mrs to hang around the terrasse and the surrounding palm trees.
when i was a kid the setting up of the x-mas tree with daddy been a nearby whole day thingy, and that been a great one.
merry x-mas
Mike

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
You guys are funny, of course you must play El Conjunto Quisqueya for chrismas music and some Johnny Ventura or El Burrito Sabanero de la Rondallita, those are trandtional Dominican Christmas songs, there are lots more but i don't remember right now.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Yes the 24th is the big day and i always have conflicting opinion on it. At first i thought it was like celebrating your birthday the day before but actually i think its a great idea as it means mum can enjoy Christmas day itself with the family and not slaving away in the kitchen all day.

I do myself however like to do the gifts on the 25th like back home, and i cant wait for the day my little girl is big enough to understand stories about santa clause and such because one thing i do feel is the world over many people seem to no longer put the gifts under the tree the night before christmas when the children are sleeping, and fill stockings etc. Many seem to put the gifts under the tree weeks before its time to open them.

It actually quite nice as i manage to combine two christmasses in one, the dominican style 24th and the traditional english 25th, problem is that means twice as many calories!:ermm:

Merry Christmas everyone!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yes the 24th is the big day and i always have conflicting opinion on it. At first i thought it was like celebrating your birthday the day before but actually i think its a great idea as it means mum can enjoy Christmas day itself with the family and not slaving away in the kitchen all day.
The reason we do the celebrations on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas Day is because the way it used to be was that people would celebrate the anticipation of the birth of Christ, which according to tradition is dictated by the church at the midnight mass on the 25th. That mass is called "Misa de Gallo". So, people would celebrate on Christmas Eve, then around midnight go to church to celebrate the midnight mass, and then spend the 25th in peace out of respect for Christ.

Of course, nowadays, people celebrate on Christmas Eve, don't go to the mass at midnight, and for many, spend the 25th with a hang over. Ha ha, its true for many people!

Many of the festivities in the DR had a religious origin and the reason we celebrate them the way we do is directly tied to religion, even though today the religious part has been removed; for the most part.

-NALs

Feb 7, 2007
The reason we do the celebrations on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas Day is because the way it used to be was that people would celebrate the anticipation of the birth of Christ, which according to tradition is dictated by the church at the midnight mass on the 25th. That mass is called "Misa de Gallo". So, people would celebrate on Christmas Eve, then around midnight go to church to celebrate the midnight mass, and then spend the 25th in peace out of respect for Christ.

That's the traditional way in continental Europe and I am proud to say my family does just that. I am looking forward to that.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

I do myself however like to do the gifts on the 25th like back home, and i cant wait for the day my little girl is big enough to understand stories about santa clause and such because one thing i do feel is the world over many people seem to no longer put the gifts under the tree the night before christmas when the children are sleeping, and fill stockings etc. Many seem to put the gifts under the tree weeks before its time to open them.

It actually quite nice as i manage to combine two christmasses in one, the dominican style 24th and the traditional english 25th, problem is that means twice as many calories!:ermm:

Merry Christmas everyone!

And twice as many gifts. Don't forget the 6th of January, el dia de los reyes

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Nals/Rubio?lauraJane,
it is usually exactly like that in katholic ciuntries.
i disagree with LauraJane on the presents on 24th as just typical dominican, it is typical for most katholic countries like Nals described above.
x-mas eve dinner withy the family, then the presents get opened, on midnight the mass. that's exactly the since ever way in Germany, too.
that the 'reyes' are celebrated in DR is a good plus for the kids, an extra presents day, ha ha, and an extra day of for the working adults, too, even that the 'reyes 2009' are in the DR moved from tuesday jan 6th to monday january 5th 2009, so it is really a opening of the presents 1 day before the birthday, ha ha.
Mike

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
And twice as many gifts. Don't forget the 6th of January, el dia de los reyes

As a little girl in the DR the night before 'Reyes' we would cut grass and place it at the head of our bed for the camels to eat while the three king left us our very humble presents, a few centavos or a whistle or a tiny toy, it brought me and my siblings great joy.

Most Dominicans of Catholic heritage that i know still do the Christmas Eve Dinner here in the States.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Nals/Rubio?lauraJane,
it is usually exactly like that in katholic ciuntries.
i disagree with LauraJane on the presents on 24th as just typical dominican, it is typical for most katholic countries like Nals described above.
x-mas eve dinner withy the family, then the presents get opened, on midnight the mass. that's exactly the since ever way in Germany, too.
that the 'reyes' are celebrated in DR is a good plus for the kids, an extra presents day, ha ha, and an extra day of for the working adults, too, even that the 'reyes 2009' are in the DR moved from tuesday jan 6th to monday january 5th 2009, so it is really a opening of the presents 1 day before the birthday, ha ha.
Mike

I am from England which is not a catholic country, I cant speak for every country, only the ones i have lived in Mike. I think you misunderstood my post. I also did not say presents get opened in the DR on the 24th. ;)

Will you be delivering more charitable goods to the Orphanage in Higuey this Christmas, When speaking to someone who works there recently i know how much they apreciated your last huge donation.

Merry Christmas

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Hispanic countries, until not so long ago, had gifts only on Reyes. The logic being, that the three kings came to present their gifts to the holy child... so the history kind'a repeats.
Even in Spain, I remember not so long ago, before it got "invaded" by Germans, Swiss, Dutch and later on Brits settling there for retirement, Christmas trees were exotic things only found in the homes of big city families who had traveled a lot and started "importing" new "traditions".
Similarly, Latin America got invaded by the commercial traditions of the US, many of them now opening gifts on the dawn of the 25th, others following the European model of Christmas eve after supper.

... J-D.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi Laura,
i planned to visit the orphanages again on dec 26th together with Lea whi is the huge angel there since years, but for private problems she had to reshedule her x-mas visit to somewhere early january, so we will go there together than. i have a big bunch of stuff for them ready here, also several luggages with clothes and toys for the street kids around our own area here.
merry x-mas
Mike