North Coast or South?

Status
Not open for further replies.

titanjones

Dec 16, 2008
Im going to punta cana with my friend and stayin at the Moon Palace AI. I have reservations there for a 1 weeks stay from Jan 12-18. I was doing some reading and found that the place if for the newly weds and newly deads...ack! Im a little worried and am debating on canceling the plans and shacking up in some cheaper hotel in Cabarete or Sosua where the apparently is a great night life, and plenty of girls. Should I keep my arrangements in Punta Cana or should I try to explore cabarete. I heard Caberete>Sosua

On a side note, I plan on spending a weekend in Santo Domingo before heading to Punta Cana, so ill at least have that experience.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
One of the great things about the Dominican Republic, as is the case with other vacation destinations around the Caribean, is its' diversity. My visits begin in Santo Domingo ten years ago. I enjoy the night life and cultural and historical ambience that the capitol has in abundance. However, I only stay in Santo Domingo for a few days, and then I'm off to the north coast, where you will find some of the best beaches in the world. Punta Cana is a bit too touristy for me and I prefer non-AI accommodations. When I am on vacation/holiday I do not choose to be surrounded by the same crowd I encounter at home. I enjoy the company of ordinary Dominicans. However, if this is your first visit to the DR an AI may be a good fit for you. If you do an AI let me suggest that you at least get out of the gated invironment for a bit and check out the rest of the marvelous country that is the DR, and, more importantly, it's people. Don't rent a car but find a driver, a taxi driver, or take the local guagua, and escape the AI to go to SD. Tour the historical landmarks and hang out at the local restaurants and discos. Take a few days and travel north to Sousa, Caberette, or Rio San Juan. Go to Samana and visit the whales with Kim, THE expert. Take the Caribe Tours bus and ride through the coutry; witness the wonderful mountains, rice fields, and landscape. Maximize your visit. I can assure you, it will not be your last!

Reactions: FernieBee
Im going to punta cana with my friend and stayin at the Moon Palace AI. I have reservations there for a 1 weeks stay from Jan 12-18. I was doing some reading and found that the place if for the newly weds and newly deads...ack! Im a little worried and am debating on canceling the plans and shacking up in some cheaper hotel in Cabarete or Sosua where the apparently is a great night life, and plenty of girls. Should I keep my arrangements in Punta Cana or should I try to explore cabarete. I heard Caberete>Sosua

On a side note, I plan on spending a weekend in Santo Domingo before heading to Punta Cana, so ill at least have that experience.

I would suggest canceling Punta Cana in the all inclusive and spend a few days in Capital,goto Boca Chica in the day for the beach but go back to Capital for night life,then spend a day or 2 in Santiago good night life on weekends!!!! Then head north to Sosua and Caberete for some partying and beach.

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
I would suggest canceling Punta Cana in the all inclusive and spend a few days in Capital,goto Boca Chica in the day for the beach but go back to Capital for night life,then spend a day or 2 in Santiago good night life on weekends!!!! Then head north to Sosua and Caberete for some partying and beach.

I would suggest the same thing. That way you get to experience most of the hot spots on the island. I find AI's boring anyways. I would rather visit the island and see what it has to offer. Plus at a AI it is the same boring thing day in and day out!

Cheers
Erin :)

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
tHE AI is good is your with your grandmother,but she would proboly get bored after a couple of days and run off with a sankie at the hotel.But it depends on what your looking for on your vacation.If you have the time this is a beautiful and interesting place to see.If you want to be bored and like chinzy shows then stay at the AI.If your a single guy and want to have fun then AIis not a good idea.If you like beaches and good night life head to sosua-cabarate area,it has a little bit of everything for every one.When you are in sosua you can take some time to check out santiago,which is a great place to be but has no beach.Santiago is a short bus ride from sosua-cabarate.

If you feel more comfortable with a AI then look to puerta plata.You can have the AI and the night life in either puerta plata or sosua-cabarate.Being a first timer i would avoid santo domingo,its a whole different world then santiago-sosua.The closest beach in santo domingo is boca chica which is nothing spectacular.Sure the nightlife is great in santo domingo but it's useless if you dont know where to go.But if you like to sightsee there are many things to see in the capital.

Reactions: FernieBee

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
When you are in sosua you can take some time to check out santiago,which is a great place to be but has no beach.Santiago is a short bus ride from sosua-cabarate.
How long is the bus ride from Sosua to Santiago?

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
sosua vs. cab....

They're both great! Try to do both if you can. I highly recommend you get the frack out of Punta Cana and see the north coast. If you prefer an AI, I recommend the Sosua Bay Hotel as the views are amazing, but you are not isolated like so many AIs are (especially the ones in PC). I cannot recommend a place to stay in Cab, but when we were there last, we rented a condo, and that was great. So, here are some differences between Sosua and Cab: both have great beaches, but Sosua is better for snorkeling and swimming (water in Cab is rough but fun with lots of waves). Nightlife in Cab is right on the beach, nightlife in Sosua is in town. As for girls, you want to be in Sosua. All you have to do is go to Classico once to see what I mean :) But, I'm sure there are girls in Cab as well. The scene in Cab feels different than in Sosua mostly due to the presence of surfers and kiters. One thing I love about both towns (outside the resorts) is that there are so many people from all over the world, not just a bunch of stupid, obnoxious Americans (and I'm American, so I get to say that....lol), and a lot of the people you meet will be Domincans and ex-pats. You will learn a lot and see a lot more if you get out and talk to people. We found a lot of helpful expats at Rocky's and at the Checkpoint. The people at those places have invaluable knowledge about where to go and what to do. Have a great trip! You will fall in love with the DR....I loved it so much that I went three times this year!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
its on the little walk through to the beach road, behind la roca....although there are other people with knowledge apart from just two places lol

Sep 19, 2005
yeah Punta Cana is for the working guy with a wife and maybe kids who needs a break in some sun soaked paradise beach island...where he can jst sit on the the gorgeous beach with a drink and relax his mind...and there are many people that need that and they have money....so PUNTA CANA and the beaches aroun dit pull them .

they do not want to be hassled by vendors..they dont want to look at poverty, they dont care about ss****y little souviners, they are not looking for quick women.

they want some warm weather and sun on the beach....and the DR carved out a place on them on the island....

cap cana grew from it.

but if you want a thrill....and you want versatility, and variety...you need to move around and get away from the east coast.

One of my friends has a great business and is doing very well and when he gets away...he goes to Punta Cana... and even then , he doesnt get all the peace and quiet he is after..

one hotel he stayed at ,the guy next door over found a way to bring a different woman back to his room most nights.. that bugged my friend, because he has younger kids.

I satyed at a lot of AI when I took my gf to the resorts when in cvountry. But id did it mostly because she is dominican, and she has had a whole life of eating domincan food ..so i looked at the AI as a little treat for her.

for myself id prefer to eat someplace different every night.

bad bad bob

titanjones

Dec 16, 2008
Cabarete wins

After coming back Ill say that there are more things to do in Cabarete, Nice beach and a good place. There is nothing to sosua except for working girls

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
if you just want to stay in your AI then punta cana is a better choice, but if you want to get out and about then the north coast is a lot more fun..... Sosua Bay Hotel is not as good as it used to be....my brother just stayed there for 2 weeks and said in sucked, bad food, and bad service....

Status
Not open for further replies.