Do I have to pay duty for ebay purchase

oola

Nov 27, 2008
If i buy some small electrics, like mp3 player, from ebay and have it shipped to DR, do I have to pay custom duty? and how to pay?

Thank you.

Nov 25, 2008
EBAY duties?

first off, its hard to get sellers to ship to the DR once you've won an item; I myself have it shipped to my PO Box in Miami and then have the Currier ship it to me.
Duties if I am not mistaken is items over $200.00-$250.00, these are for 1[one] item also [one] location.
Have purchased from different sellers exceeding the amount above and not have been charged any tax.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I don't know about Ebay, but when my wife buys things from Penny's and has them shipped to the PO Box, she has to pay duty. It might be what it is and how they feel that day.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
The short answer is yes you do,

The long one is that as long as customs doesn't deem any of your shipments (not items but shipments if multiple items ship together) to be worth more than 200 dollars they will likely not charge you.

The 200 dollar thing has only been in effect for a year or so, and I don't know how long it will last but it is nice.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
As Mike said, yes, if it's worth more than USD 200.oo HERE (not invoice), and is not being brought in personally by somebody visiting the DR in these Holiday seasons, you would, technically have to pay duty.

NOW, you will have two issues:

1. Finding out how much it REALLY is, will boil down to just try to get it here and face the music. You might get lucky, and it slipps thru for free or your mail forwarder may have good relations at the customs or not and forward any discounts or fair conditions to their client or agian, not.
  2. The even bigger issue is, will you get it at all? Mp3 players, as well as digital cameras and any similar small but desirable and often high valued items are those most feared to NOT make it thru customs to you at all, because they tend to "disappear" in the process. Even some mail-forwarders will warn you about that risk, a risk which may be higher now in these seasons. Your chances to get it here, using postal mail are close to nill.
... J-D.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Duty is not payable on goods less than US$200. The value is based on the invoice/declared value of the package.

I regularly make online purchases (cosmetics, perfume, clothes, etc each less than US$200 at a time) and have never had to pay duties or taxes. The items I am buying are sometimes 50% cheaper than what they can be purchased for in this country.

I would be careful bringing electrical goods into the country. These types of items may be subject to import taxes and duties.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I understand that the US200 deal is with some mailing services not all.

Make sure you ask and make sure a receipt is included with the item and you will be ok - I do this all the time, thank goodness for Amazon.