Travel recommendations

travelingkind

Dec 16, 2008
Hi folks. This is my first post. I will be traveling to the DR at the end of February and I am looking for advise. I'd love to be in a city for a while - somewhere interesting and with a good night life and the chance to meet people. I'd want to stay 2 nights or so. I'd also like to get to the beach and do some SCUBA diving for three nights or so. The rest of the time could be just about anywhere. I'd like to see small towns, beautiful places, good beaches, and meet lots of people. I speak Spanish very well, so that is not a problem. My questions:
1) I can fly for free to Santa Domingo, but Santiago looks more interesting. I can also fly free into Santa Domingo and out of Santiago. Does this make sense?
2) Should I rent a car for the week?
3) Where are some good SCUBA spots?
4) If it doesn't make sense to fly in one city and out the other, which do you suggest? Are buses an option?
5) Where can I see la Rupublica Dominicana real? What is the best way to meet people to go dancing with, etc.?

Thanks folks. I'm excited!
A

Sep 19, 2005
while Santo Domingo is a real city with all its pros and cons....most of what you want cant be had there.

if you go to Santiago you get about half the city, but it really is more Dominican...it is laid back and still has the air of the country. all around is the places you want...the small places to see what the country is and what is going on every day.

within an hour is the north coast with Surfing in Cabarete and scuba divingin Sosua and the beach in either place..with a healthy night life.

the Sosua night life is geared towards drinking and finding women...Cabarete is more of a mixture of all kinds of nationalities and dominicans in like a college party town atmosphere.... but less IN YOUR FACE than sosua as for the women.

Santo Domingo is a lot better than it was 2 years ago.. and it has huge history!!!

enjoy , bad bad bob

travelingkind

Dec 16, 2008
bbb-
I have seven days. I was thinking of flying into SD, staying for two nights, then heading up for diving and the like in Sosua and environs for four nights, then heading back to SD to fly home. Is it crazy to do this? Any options other than a 4-1/2 hour bus ride? I can also fly OUT of Santiago, giving me a little more time up North. I've heard the airport is pretty far from the city center, but no farther than 8 1/2 hours!

One last thought - I love to hike, bike, etc and it seems like the east coast has some great parks and some good diving. Are there any towns near Samana or La Romana that aren't solely AI resorts? As I said, I'd love to meet real people and have some fun, balanced with some QUIET beaches and good hiking and diving.

Thank you so much!

Sep 19, 2005
yes I think flying out of Santiagom ios afantastic idea for your plans.....svaes you at least 2.5 hours or more of travel and less chance of missing your flight.

a trip to la romana or samana is asking too much for this trip.....way too much...

take a bus from SD to the north coast...stay four days or what ever and take a bus back to santiago , then a cab to the airport 15 minutes or less.

or you could hire a driver to take you from the north coast right to the airport..cost you about $80 but you would save at least 2 hours in the process. because of stops and transfers and timing ect .....

you have time to plan your surfing advanture as well as you diving...the towns are close enough to each other....they might even have diving over towards cabarete, but i have heard puerto Plata and sosua are the diving locations

good luck
bad bob