Fruit cake

magoo

Jan 13, 2005
Hello, I'm desperately looking for a Christmas fruit cake, but a real one: soft, moist, plenty of fruits, dates, nuts, well soaked in a good liquor and properly aged, without "melao", etc. Do you know where I can find it? Any help will be very much appreciated.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Hello, I'm desperately looking for a Christmas fruit cake, but a real one: soft, moist, plenty of fruits, dates, nuts, well soaked in a good liquor and properly aged, without "melao", etc. Do you know where I can find it? Any help will be very much appreciated.

I looked for it but never found a Christmas fruit cake in the D.R. I used to bring a few ones with me from Canada. I think you will have to make it yourself. It won't be sufficiently aged for Christmas though

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I always make my own & my own mincemeat for mince pies too (UK tradition). Let me know if I can help you with a recipe, magoo. Quickest way to 'age' rapidly :cheeky: is to do a Creole cake where you put all the fruit in saucepan with rum, brandy, port, wine, water, sugar & pinch of salt, low heat 15 mins. Then put contents in airtight container in fridge for a week (or a few days if you don't have a week) so that fruit absorbs all the alcohol. Then mix with flour, eggs etc & cook. It'll be very moist when finished.

Reactions: Bronxboy

magoo

Jan 13, 2005
Thanks for your tips. Lambada, your recipe seems delicious; I'll keep it for future use. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to make one myself right now. It is almost Christmas, so any help will be welcomed. Thanks!