Dec 9, 2008
Where are the best locations? Markets or boutique shops
in both locations? Santiago & Puerto Plata
Thanks briellen

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I am a Puerto Plata guy, so, I feel I ought to pitch Puerto Plata to you.
However, it really depends on what you are shopping for. Puerto Plata still has a limited offering and for larger acquisitions. Santiago will not only offer more or offer things you can't find in Puerto Plata, but usually also at a lower price / quality ratio and with less of a risk of "gringo-pricing".
If it's just souveniers, most common groceries and basic clothing, Puerto Plata has most of it and at now pretty comparable prices.
I personally try to give most of my business to "my" town, but yes, we go maybe once every 6 to 8 weeks to Santiago to pick up goodies and also shop around for stuff we may not even find in Santiago.

... J-D

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I am with JD- whenever I can I buy in Puerto Plata. But I will go to Santiago about once every couple months for a stock up of the things significantly less expensive OR that I can't get here.

It all depends what you are looking for.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Something has happened to Tienda Jimenez in PP. I do not buy much myself but for many years bring there my friends who visit from Europe. This time (just three days ago) they told me they were shocked with unusually high prices and unusually poor selection of women`s clothes.

Any ideas why? What happened to Jimenez that caused that unfortunate change? These friends used to take with them two full bags. This time bought only a dress and a couple of blouses. Especially they were disappointed with the shoes. Both quality and selection. Also, practically no bathing/swimming suits.

Any explanations?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Competition! Santiago offers a ton of women's clothing stores...some ultra high-MTV style-fashion...plus some very nice stuff.

Gotta go...But you go to Santiago and check it out....Go to Sol Street and Plaza Internacaonal and then to Los jardines and check out Metropolitana and the side streets that are fillling up w ith womens wear places...some pretty chic--Giselle and Salvador Farragamo... etc

HB

Reactions: FernieBee

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Tienda Jimenez in PP

We went in there last week, and have previously purchased men's clothing and shoes etc. My other half stated they had lots of women's clothes and I should have a look, while he was buying a new shirt. As I was browsing the ladies section several employees made loud comments about it not being a "Gringo" store, but meant for Dominican's. My Spanish may not be perfect, but it is good enough to understand those comments and the attitude that accompanied them.
No problem, I can shop in Santiago!!! And did and will continue to do so.
The other stores that are "user" friendly in PP, will continue to receive my business and my "gringo" pesos.
It was a lot upsetting and insulting as well.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I bought a pair of shoes there last week and had none of the 'not a gringo store' comments, quite the opposite actually, friendly greeting etc. I would have marmelised such impudence & I hope you did too, Spicedwine. If you care to PM me the names of the assistants behaving in this unacceptable fashion I will phone the owning family & report it.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I bought a pair of shoes there last week and had none of the 'not a gringo store' comments, quite the opposite actually, friendly greeting etc. I would have marmelised such impudence & I hope you did too, Spicedwine. If you care to PM me the names of the assistants behaving in this unacceptable fashion I will phone the owning family & report it.

We went in there last week, and have previously purchased men's clothing and shoes etc. My other half stated they had lots of women's clothes and I should have a look, while he was buying a new shirt. As I was browsing the ladies section several employees made loud comments about it not being a "Gringo" store, but meant for Dominican's. My Spanish may not be perfect, but it is good enough to understand those comments and the attitude that accompanied them.
No problem, I can shop in Santiago!!! And did and will continue to do so.
The other stores that are "user" friendly in PP, will continue to receive my business and my "gringo" pesos.
It was a lot upsetting and insulting as well.

I pick up clothing for "my" girls at Jimenez every now and then. It can be quite a "zoo" at times, specially on seasons like the one we're just about right in the middle of. They got a LOT of floor personnel and I don't even want to guess how many "behind the scenes". Most display the typical Dominican friendliness and nonchalance, others are highly unprepared or to much concentrated in protecting their laziness, hiding from the action or even putting up a not so friendly expression... then again, they seem to have quite a high rotation of personnel too.
The customers... well, sometimes, as I said it is quite a zoo and the more they are, the more it seems all so much more important to every each of them to be served "firster" and quicker than all the ones before them... Dominican driving style in a overcrowded and overfilled bazaar.
And then there are some wondering tourist lost in the middle of it and others, residents or semi-residents which display a whole range of different behaviors and reactions, ranging from bewilderment over amusement to scare, paranoia and even narcissistic reactions.
There are those, who think that because they paid with their US credit card, the same no questions asked return for a cash refund policies of Sears and Walmart apply to them here too (btw: fogitabouit!). And they are not to take a friendly "no"-explanation lightly and I have witnessed some to make it then quite a point to make it heard all over the place what they then think about the girls being sorry to tell them "sorry but no" and the store and the whole country all together, forgetting that Dominicans are for what ever reason, still very proud of their country and nationality. So, some of the personnel may be somewhat sensible when "gringos" seem to start demanding "home"-style customer service and attention. And then, there ARE at times black sheep. Language barriers are not helping either.
However, I also witnessed once a foreign lady having forgotten her bag in a dressing cabin, asking around for it, being quasi forced into paying a large "tip" for the front desk staff to hand it over to her (some good soul had left it with them).

In other words, it's not all black and white... there's a lot of gray in between, on both sides.

I was yesterday at Jimenez... it WAS a zoo and I also found that while the store was stocked full of "stuff" the quality was unusually low and the prices high. But obviously people are buying... until next February, there is almost no competitive alternative in Puerto Plata... we'll see what happens after Sirena opens it's doors.

... J-D.

Last edited:

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
I was in Jimenez 2 days ago and I was one of only 4 people shopping there. I bought a top for my daughter, but thought that the price was higher than in past years. However, the style and fabric were unique - one of a kind. Hopefully, when I get it back to Canada for Christmas, she will like it.

I was shopping in santiago a week ago and found a great selection of many different items at Puma and La Sirena.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
for groceries - both.
for clothes - santiago all the way. hopefully that will change with the arrival of la sirena to POP.
for cosmetics - it has to be america or europe, DR offers poor choice at outrageous prices.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
for cosmetics - it has to be america or europe, DR offers poor choice at outrageous prices.

Nomatter what price - all cosmetics is fake here (or way outdated). All perfumes smells very strange and very different from the same but purchased in the States/Europe or duty-free. Even taxi drivers and money changers know it and always ask to buy for them cosmetics (perfume) in the States.

Practically the same situation with expensive cognacs and caviar - all must be brought in only to be authentic.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am sure you can but real dior lipstick in santo domingo - but the price will be ridiculous.
i buy my stuff in europe...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
High end stuff? Come to Kakay or Stilleto in Santiago...Pricey but authentic...

Kakay on 27 de Febrero near the corner of Metropolitana
Stileto on Metropolitana corner of 5

And Check out Chronos on 11 near corner of 11 (Just around the corner from Bon on Metropolitana....watches to "die" for....$42,000, $20,000, or "just" $14, 000 for a cheapo.... (US not RD!!!!),,and to savor the wealth, go next door and eat at ZOL..did it yesterday with Bachata Dutchie, wife and mother in law....Excellent food all around!!

HB

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.