Renewing Cedula - New Rule!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Just heard from Luis (Hillbilly) that you will need to have your passport with you when you go to renew your cedula if your a foreigner. Apparently it's a new rule that has been in effect the past 2 weeks.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes that's right. I went to SD on 10th. Dec to renew mine & this was in force then (fortunately a kind Dominican friend in SD had checked for me in advance). BushBaby went the day before me & he too was required to present his passport. They take a photocopy of the passport main page - I believe the reason is that at the same time they are doing the biometric data collection & they need the passport of foreigners for that - not totally sure of the reason but yes, it is definitely needed. Those there without it were sent away.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I don't understand. We just did ours in Sousa and all we gave them was our cedula and residience card. We offered our passport but they didn't want it.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't understand. We just did ours in Sousa and all we gave them was our cedula and residience card. We offered our passport but they didn't want it.

Well maybe you don't need your passport just for submitting your biometric details. You definitely need it for renewing your cedula. Two different processes, I just happened to combine mine because I needed to renew my cedula. Renewal of cedula now has a fee for foreigners - RD$1200. Submission of biometric data is free I understand, but there will probably be a fee when new cedula is issued.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
oops I just read where it is lol.....now Im confused.Why did Lambada go to santo domingo was it it get it straight away rather than waiting until february

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Why did Lambada go to santo domingo was it it get it straight away rather than waiting until february

Lambada went to SD because she needed to renew her cedula which expired in 2008. She has not got 'it' :cheeky: in the sense of any new type of cedula - I renewed my ordinary cedula so now have one 'dated' current until 2014. Damage control indicates it wouldn't be a good idea to have an out of date cedula. I haven't seen the date of February on JCE website for the new ones - I don't believe date has been announced yet. The only date on website is that the process of getting biometric data will continue until 30th. Sept 2009. The SD staff are giving no date & saying look for announcements in the papers. Not wishing to go into 2009 with an out of date cedula I therefore renewed.

Hope this solves the mystery of why I went to SD, jrhartley :).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Since this was not announced in the newspapers, I was caught unawares. Fortunately I had not gone just to renew the cedula...so I was not really all that put out...

Oh well, another excuse to go to the big city and see my grand children..

HB

Fuddzie

Dec 3, 2008
Yes that's right. I went to SD on 10th. Dec to renew mine & this was in force then (fortunately a kind Dominican friend in SD had checked for me in advance). BushBaby went the day before me & he too was required to present his passport. They take a photocopy of the passport main page - I believe the reason is that at the same time they are doing the biometric data collection & they need the passport of foreigners for that - not totally sure of the reason but yes, it is definitely needed. Those there without it were sent away.

What is " biometric data" What other info is on the cudela?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
damn,
didn't hear a thing about new stuff on the cedula yet.
mine is still valid til september 2010,
anybody know if i need to do something now or just wait til renewal in 2010??
Mike

Mike, I renewed mine because it expired in 2008 - I posted what I was told about validity here post 75
http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/81682-biometric-id-card-foreigners-questions-8.html#post708499
but that seems to be at odds with what the Sosua people were told.

You have until September to register your biometric data - download the pdf here
Captura Datos Biom?tricos del Ciudadano e Integraci?n con el Acta y la C?dula de Identidad y Electoral

If I were in your shoes I would work on the assumption that your cedula will continue to be valid until you read an announcement in the papers to the contrary. And even then, check it :cheeky:. And give your biometric stuff locally if they have the equipment set up to do it.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
from my reading of that cedula stuff i would assume there's no need to do a thing til we reach the expiration date of the cedula, then we give 'em the prints aso aso dates they wanna include in the new one and the stuff is renewed and it is called Biometric.
i will keep in mind to have my passport with me when i renew any, on jan 8th the fotoshooting again for my residency(sorrily required this year) and also in 2 1/2 years to renew my ole cedula.
if they do it right they will find out about a huge amount of double idendities in case of the cedulas, but i doubt a lot that they have the equipment to compare all those millions finger prints to each others or signatures or more complicated in case of techniques:
to compare the faces on the fotos.
you can do such for a foto you wanna check, but to do such for the population of a whole country requires a bit more of computer power and technicians power than the country has at his order.
actually i could not think of any country on the planet which has such resources/equipment/technicians quantity at it's order.
hey Ginnie,
keep in touch in case anything new will come up.
on my hated trip on jan 8th i will meet some people and ask questions.
thanks for the info
Mike