Anyone taken a cruise out of Santo Domingo?

vevy

Feb 14, 2006
Has anyone in the DR1 audience taken a cruise out of Santo Domingo? I see that the cruise vessel (RCL) Vision of the Seas is offering 7 and 14 day cruises around various islands starting in January, 2009. Would like to hear commentary from anyone who has taken a cruise originating out of Santo Domingo or possibly Puerto Rico.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
cruise

yes I have - it was a different ship last year though. I went for a week it went to st lucia,guadeloupe,barbados,st kitts and matinique in february , we booked about two weeks before it went and it cost around $500 - excellent and possibly cheaper than staying at home lol

oops i meant to send as a private message

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I am looking exactly for such a cruise where I don't have to go to the US first.
Could someone post some links?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You should contact travelnet either at their phone 809-534-7440 or their website (travelnet.com.do) to get more info on this cruise.

Right now they are offering cruises for Jan, Feb, and March of next year departing from SDQ with ports of call in Guadeloupe, Martinique, Barbados, St Lucia, Margarita Island, St Martin, and Aruba.

Contact them for more info. They have been advertising their cruises in many Dominican magazines geared towards the moneyed classes.

-NALs

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Can Dominicans take these cruises with a passport only or do they need a visa to visit some of the islands?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Last year it was passport only but after a few weeks of cruising they changed it to Dominicans needing a Schengen visa after around 50 of them jumped ship in Guadaloupe. Suggest you check with your travel agent.

Matilda

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
I just checked out what a Schengen visa is and it says it is for travel in most countries in Europe but not for the Carribean. How does this work?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique are French overseas territories, covered by the Schengen visa. The same might apply to the Netherlands Antilles although I read somewhere they had recently changed status.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Has anybody checked out if Dominicans need a schengen visa to go on this cruise ?

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ok Thanks.
Was this to go onshore in the different ports, or was it for going at the cruise at all ?
I mean is it possible to go out on the cruise, but not be able to go onshore at every port ?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Ok Thanks.
Was this to go onshore in the different ports, or was it for going at the cruise at all ?
I mean is it possible to go out on the cruise, but not be able to go onshore at every port ?

Yes... You don't even have to leave the ship at all during the entire cruise if you don't want to. Unless the cruise company requires a given visa or the like for boarding to a certain destination, the above goes into effect.

Last time I took a family cruise (argghhhhh!!!) I used the time to rest very well in my bed on the ship, while the family revisited for the (forgot how many already)*th time the little islands we made calls to.

Don't get me wrong! Cruises are very nice indeed; just that making the rounds to tiny islands you visited plenty of times before is like getting invited to sit in your own backyard as a cool place to be at...

Just make sure that you carry your credit cards with you and most of times the visa requirement will be overlooked as their economies are in the docks...

Is not like there's much to run around to if you were to jump ship...

Are the cruise offers getting cheaper or is my imagination playing tricks on me this time of the year? I could have sworn that I saw a fantastic offer for almost half of what I paid last time... To the same places as before!

champ

Dec 2, 2006
2009 cruise

has anyone been on the 7 day cruise this year out of santo domingo

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I want to know if this cruise is fun and single people go. I don't want to get stuck with couples and family. I am thinking of going with a friend of mine from santiago.
AZB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
when I went I thought there would be a majority of crumblies but it turned out to be very mixed- I didnt hang around the discos late at night so I dont know about the singles scene - there was a singles night in one of the bars (dont know what it was like)

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
backyard revisited

;)
Last time I took a family cruise (argghhhhh!!!) I used the time to rest very well in my bed on the ship, while the family revisited for the (forgot how many already)*th time the little islands we made calls to.

Don't get me wrong! Cruises are very nice indeed; just that making the rounds to tiny islands you visited plenty of times before is like getting invited to sit in your own backyard as a cool place to be at...

Next time, invite the family to your backyard, and have a barbeque - probably cheaper and more fun... ;)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Just got back

has anyone been on the 7 day cruise this year out of santo domingo

Total cost for cruise (included upgrade to big balconey, taxes, insurance 1050.00 for 2) bar bill, photos etc. extra. There were several Dominicans aboard. The couple with us (Wife Dominican) had to leave her passport with the ship authorities. Immigration came aboard at every stop and stamped the passports. No problem getting off or on. Great cruise. Enjoyed sitting on the balconey at night sipping a glass of wine and reading a good book. Hurry last cruise of the season leaving on the 29th. Vision of the Seas - Discount Cruises, Last-Minute Cruises, Short Notice Cruises - Vacations To Go
AZB there were quite a few good looking chicas on board. Plus the Asian girls in the band were HOT.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Eddy, do you know if the Dominican Woman needed a Schengen visa to board the cruise?
No. At least not the girl travelling with my buddy (His wife) All they had to show is a passport and a marriage certificate.

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
I understand that Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Seas will not be sailing out of Santo Domingo after early April this year. So you probably need to concentrate on other cruises on the links mentioned in an earlier reply.

I know nothing about necessary visas for Dominicans, but there were lots of Dominicans on the 7-day cruise I took in late February. They didn't seem to have any problem about going ashore.