Dominican Watch-smiths (relojeros)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The watch smiths are seen on many street corners of santiago, called relojeros. They are generally sitting on a chair with a little table in front of them, filled with old watches, straps, batteries and spare parts. You can take an old casio or some other cheapo watch and have him fix it for less than 100 pesos or have him change the battery. He is only good for that so please do not give him your rado, he will damage it.
I didn't start this thread to talk about them, instead I would like to focus on real watch smiths (relojeros) who work in jewelry stores. they have a little spot in the back where they have their shop setup. They stock all kinds of general parts for the watch and old watches for spare parts. If you could find a good maestro (like I know one) he will be able to fix just about anything and cheap. I have a tag watch broken down on me 3 times. I had tried to have it fixed in many places, including in USA and pakistan. I was always assured that it is fixed but it would break down in 2 weeks. Finally a good relojero fixed it for me in santiago for a 1000 pesos (less than 30 dollars). This is a 1500 dollar watch so 30 dollars seem like a deal. The watch is working flawlessly since it was fixed, 3 yrs ago.
Now I took a broken down swiss army watch which cost me less than 300 dollars 15 yrs ago. The watch works fine but the chain is broken in 2 places, the links are jammed in the chain and pins are loose and watch is all dirty and scratched up in everywhere. The man cleaned it with chemicals and polished it with machine, took out dirt, spots and scratches, then he replaced the battery inside, then he changed the pins in the chain which were old and bent, he loosened up the chain, in simple words, he made the watch brand new again. I left it there yesterday and today it was fixed. The watch is shiny and looks like new from the box. Total cost: 500 pesos. That is bit over 14 dollars. I am a happy chappy.
This man knows his watches and does honest work.
So if you guys come to santiago for vacation, bring in your old watches and get them fixed for cheap.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
on calle san luis, almost with restauracion on the left hand side (one way street) there is Joyaria (forgot the damn name). First Joyaria on the left hand side before the show store. Inside there is a relojero.
So take san luis street (one way) pass restauracion street and park the car. Its the first Joyaria on the left . Its like the 3rd store when you pass restauracion.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
the Joyaria es called "joyaria Modesto" next to D'camp sandwich place on san luis right at the corner of restauracion.
AZB