Yucca ~ How to cook?

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
We were given 2 yucca (yuca?) but don't have a clue how to fix.
Bake? boil? fry?

Also, we were offered something that looks sort of like a pumpkin, but is green. When we asked it's name, we were told ujama...I'm sure that's not the correct spelling, but that is what is sounded like.."You-jama"

Any ideas what it might be? correct spelling would really be appreciated.
How to fix?

Thanks!
~anna~

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Yucca - This can be prepared many ways. First you need to peel off the waxy skin. Best way to do that is take a butcher knife and chop into the Yucca lengthwise and peel up the skin and then keep it going all the way around. Once peeled, you can boil it, boil it then fry it, grate it to make little fritters, chop it in big chunks and add to sancocho or soup, etc.

My favourite way to eat it is to peel it, then cut into about four inch chunks (length-wise) and then cut in half length-wise so you have a bunch of half-round, four inch chunks. Boil with a bit of salt and when you see it starting to break apart but with a fork inserted is still semi-firm, it's done. You can then eat at a side dish with a variety of prepared meats, fish, etc. It's really yummy if you prepare something "guisado" and have some liquid to mix it with.

You can also cook as above and then drain and deep fry for a minute or two. Remove from oil and add a bit of salt.

You can add to any soup or sancocho and boil in about 2 inch chunks.

I especially like it with bacalao guisado or just plain on the side with some red onions cooked with vinegar and oil or with some lambi, cold with onions, vinegar and peppers.

For fritters, you need to peel, pat dry, add salt and a bit of egg and then form little patties and fry. Lightly salt when done.

I used to hate yucca - now it's one of my favourite foods.

As for the "pumpkin-like" squash... you can chunk it up and add to habiscuela guisado, habiscuela (sp?) con dulce or add to sancocho. In North American style cooking, you can also make a creamy soup out of it like any other squash or bake and scoop out flesh, mash it, add butter and salt and serve.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yuca is great boiled and served with a bit of olive oil and fried onions, either whole or mashed as mang?. You can fry or roast it in slices/chunks too.

The 'pumpkin' thing is called auyama (gem squash in English, apparently) - delicious in cream of auyama soup and as an ingredient in bean and vegetable stew.

You'l find more information and ideas here:
DominicanCooking.com

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Yuca is great boiled and served with a bit of olive oil and fried onions, either whole or mashed as mang?. You can fry or roast it in slices/chunks too.

The 'pumpkin' thing is called auyama (gem squash in English, apparently) - delicious in cream of auyama soup and as an ingredient in bean and vegetable stew.

You'l find more information and ideas here:
DominicanCooking.com

I second Chiri's suggestion to check out DominicanCooking.com... I have Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbooks (Editions 1 and 2) and both are excellent and have lots of recipes for both of the above.

alanamarie

Dec 11, 2007
When cooking yucca

Yucca has a tough fiber running through the center. You want to remove it before you eat or mash or further prepare the yucca or you'll get a mouthful of unpleasant in your delicious yucca! I find it is easiest to remove it with a fork after the yucca has been bolied or mostly cooked.
We sometimes slice yucca lengthwise & broil it in the oven with some cheese on top.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Try the "Spiders" recipe in the Dominican cookbook....hehehe

You can make mashed puree of yuca--like mashed potatoes
You can boil it, and you can slice it very thinly and fry it like chips...

Most Dominicans will boil it, add some oil, vinegar and onions to a pan, fry up an egg or two a slice or two of salami and pour it over the yuca--usually a breakfast of dinner meal..

Good eating...BTW, you cook should know more about this...

HB

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
As for the "pumpkin-like" squash... you can chunk it up and add to habiscuela guisado, habiscuela (sp?) con dulce or add to sancocho. In North American style cooking, you can also make a creamy soup out of it like any other squash or bake and scoop out flesh, mash it, add butter and salt and serve.

Fiesta Mama I dont know who taught you how to make Habichuelas con Dulce but you dont put Auyama in Habichuelas Con Dulce.

In regular habichuelas soup or simply just boiled in salted water is ok.

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
Thanks so much for all the info! Now to decide which way I should try first.

On the auyama (glad to finally know how to spell it)~
Can I slice wedges, bake on a cookie sheet and then scrape out the filling and use to make a 'pumpkin' pie?

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Fiesta Mama I dont know who taught you how to make Habichuelas con Dulce but you dont put Auyama in Habichuelas Con Dulce.

Some dominicanas put un chin of batata in the habichuelas con dulce

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004

I don't make it - my husband's cousin makes it for us all the time (a Dominican) and maybe I am wrong about it being Auyama but he puts chunks of something orange in it and it has the texture and taste of Auyama?

May 31, 2005
I have heard of batata in habichuela con dulce but never auyama... I have seen auyama in regular habichuelas guisadas though.

danely

Apr 23, 2004
My vote goes to frying it like you would "plank", or thick french fries.....fry them really hot so that you get a nice brown crispyness.....really great !......I don't know if you always have to boil them first but it seems a good idea as suggested before. If you've never tried it you are in for a treat....especially with a steak or roasted chicken.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
1. Auyama IS pumpkin, or very closely related. Things like pumpkins and oranges don't turn orange in the tropics my dear anna, but they are still the same thing inside..

2. Make sure when you cook your yucca that you boil it a long time, at least 20 or 30 minutes - it gets rid of the oxalic acid in the raw form that can cause serious harm to your body, or kill you.

thomas901

May 4, 2008
my girlfriend always cooks me up some tasy beans with auyama added to it, she throws in a little oil,garlic,onion,salt, sopita( the little chicken seasoning cubes) verdura (the green gassy looking stuff) very tasty.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I shred the yucca with a fine shredder,then add a little onion and a touch of flour,fry like a pancake...very good.,especially with a cold one..
bob

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Mazamorra

Take the auyama cut it in slices and boil it, peel it and mash it, then fried onions and pour the onions over the auyama. This is a delicious Dominican plate. " Mazamorra''

JJ

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
I don't make it - my husband's cousin makes it for us all the time (a Dominican) and maybe I am wrong about it being Auyama but he puts chunks of something orange in it and it has the texture and taste of Auyama?

I see what you are talking about,
the cousin is using orange sweet potato