Pez Loro

curiosita

Jun 4, 2007
On the beach in Boca Chica, I love eating fried "loro"... anyone know what this is in English?

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
You were eating Turtle privates. Very nice. Just kidding. A Loro is a Parrot, but I don't think you were eating fried parrot. You wrote in your post Pez Loro or Parrot Fish. Hope it helps.

Reactions: FernieBee

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Pez Loro, aka. Lora, aka. Cotorra.
It's Parrot Fish. Loro/Lora and Cotorra are Spanish words for Parrot. The fish probably got it's name because of his green-yellow-blue colors and it's mouth, which resembles one of a bird.

Excellent fish to eat, considered safe from ciguatera all year 'round and never had one tasting like Mero and Tilapia at times does around here.
Actually a cheap fish too!

Parrotfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ciguatera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

... J-D.

Yachtguy1

Sep 30, 2008
Ciguatera

Hey JD,

I love parrotfish! So, is Ciguatera common in the DR? and if so, where, at what times of year, and which fish should I/we avoid??

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Ciguatera is common in the whole Caribbean region.
Dominicans consider Parrot fish a safe fish to eat. However, information on the Internet suggest otherwise.

The old golden rule suggesting you ought not to eat fish and especially sea food on months without an "R", is also well known here, even though, oyster peddlers on the beach will go to great lengths to try to explain tourists that their seafood out of too warm waters are "safe".

... J-D.

Reactions: Tamborista

curiosita

Jun 4, 2007
So I know Parrot and Loro are the same... but I had looked up lots of pictures of Parrot fish and none of them (including the one posted) look like my fish... Are they all blue(ish?)?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
So I know Parrot and Loro are the same... but I had looked up lots of pictures of Parrot fish and none of them (including the one posted) look like my fish... Are they all blue(ish?)?

Well, the one on the picture up there looks VERY blueish... maybe that varies from region to region.
Here at least, the go from grayish-green over blueish and can have a yellow band on the side. The really constant thing is the mouth.
When they're fried, they're fried... the color is all gone. But still taste great, light flaky white meat.

... J-D.

curiosita

Jun 4, 2007
Sorry if I was unclear... I realize that when they are fried they won't be blue... but i remembered my fish being orange-ish before they cook it. No sure... I guess I'll have to go to Boca Chica this weekend to confirm. Thanks.