Santo Domingo should be a seperate country

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Just joking, but seriously i'm sure many people agree with me that going to santo domingo is like going to another country.How could it be that everything is so differant then two hours down the road in santiago.The people,the crime, the crooked taxi drivers, the higher prices etc. etc.I know this subject is talked about a zillion times,but after spending some time thee a few weeks ago i felt the desire to vent.Does every person in santiago think that every gringo wants a hooker?does every taxi driver feel the need to rip-off the gringo? could there be any more traffic and one way streets.I'll take santiago anyday......

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Just joking, but seriously i'm sure many people agree with me that going to santo domingo is like going to another country.How could it be that everything is so differant then two hours down the road in santiago.The people,the crime, the crooked taxi drivers, the higher prices etc. etc.I know this subject is talked about a zillion times,but after spending some time thee a few weeks ago i felt the desire to vent.Does every person in santiago think that every gringo wants a hooker?does every taxi driver feel the need to rip-off the gringo? could there be any more traffic and one way streets.I'll take santiago anyday......

I think something similar can be said about many commercial capitals of countries around the world. I've lived and worked in London, Rome, Madrid, Tel Aviv, Athens, Amman, Moscow, New York to name but a few. The fact is that, generally, the money is there and they therefore tend to be more cosmopolitan and high living than their "provincial" sisters and that attracts the "low lifers" too.

Whilst I won't get into a debate about where is better, everywhere has it's differences as well as its particular "something for everyone" and living there is always a compromise, often not an easy one. If you have the choice, the freedom and ability to live where you find the best of everything for you, then go for it and stay away from the "other" places as much as you can.