essential oils in the DR

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Greetings from Wisconsin

Do you know of any farms growing and distilling essential oils in the DR?

NO! and it is almost impossible to even find them to buy here. Most of the ones that I have seen are for burning only, one cannot use them on one's skin. I am really startled that there is no business in this since the place is full of tropicals. I think it would be a good business if it was marketed properly- i.e. high end, good packaging...... great campo business... There is only home made coconut oil which can be good or bad depending ... And, of course, the wonderful vanilla... But, in the old days, Haiti used to grow all the vetevier which formed the basis for the French perfume business..... Bring it on!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hey, there was a project run by some Germans in Cotu? - they had a booth by the side of the road near La Cabirma, a few kms before arriving in the town on the road from Piedra Blanca, but this was a good few years ago: maybe someone with more recent experience of the area could investigate?

aromaticdancer

Dec 19, 2008
I'm from Appleton Wisconsin
Thanks for your input. There are a few suppliers who I buy from who have Dominican essential oils. I'll contact them and see if they will share which suppliers they come from and where they are located. I'll be arriving on 12.31.2009 for 2 weeks and will be staying with a couple of former exchange students.