Thinking of Moving to the DR from chicago?????

jgomes

Dec 20, 2008
1st Thread WOO HOO!

So I been thinking of moving to the DR I was born there but left when I was 2 and have only returned 2 since I am in my 40's, Although my mother has retired out there and has always returned back home. She insists that I would love it out there and I believe that I am ready to move I am weary only because it's new to me and my family. I have a fund with a monthly allowance of $3200.00 US. I also intend on opening a second hand store with barely use to never used clothing and other products. (I am not looking at being rich just comfortable and warm) I am looking at the Sousa and cabrete area.

So my questions is how well do teenage kids 10-20 adjust to the DR Life?

is $3200.00 a month enough for a family of 5 to live comfortably?

And would a second hand store work in the DR my mom say no because even the poor of the poor dress better then us here?

Sorry but I have been waiting a while to finally post this thread

looking forward to your comments

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That income should give you a fairly comfortable life, including school fees for the kids. But your mother is probably right about second-hand shops: I suggest you come for a preliminary visit, research the areas you plan to settle in first hand, speak to local residents and identify another gap in the market.

Reactions: MikeFisher

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
1st Thread WOO HOO!

So I been thinking of moving to the DR I was born there but left when I was 2 and have only returned 2 since I am in my 40's, Although my mother has retired out there and has always returned back home. She insists that I would love it out there and I believe that I am ready to move I am weary only because it's new to me and my family. I have a fund with a monthly allowance of $3200.00 US. I also intend on opening a second hand store with barely use to never used clothing and other products. (I am not looking at being rich just comfortable and warm) I am looking at the Sousa and cabrete area.

So my questions is how well do teenage kids 10-20 adjust to the DR Life?

is $3200.00 a month enough for a family of 5 to live comfortably?

And would a second hand store work in the DR my mom say no because even the poor of the poor dress better then us here?

Sorry but I have been waiting a while to finally post this thread

looking forward to your comments

Welcome to the board!

To rent a house big enough for five in Sosua/Cabarete area will cost you $1200US.
So, you are left with $2000 a month for five people. $400 per person.
I think it is enough to survive but "comfortable" - I am afraid no.

(Car, medical costs, tuition fees, occasional eating out, cloth - all this is equal or more expensive than in USA).

In my opinion based on personal first hand experience in Sosua/Cabarete area - $1000US per person per month is needed AT LEAST for life that can be called moderately comfortable.

You may have better chances in campo.

Good luck!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Because you have family there I think with your $3200 month you can live well, but the biggest thing is your children- huge move with teenagers - lots of questions in regards to their future employment/education. I know nothing of your lifestyle in Chicago but what do the rest of your family(kids) think of the move.

Reactions: MikeFisher

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
with your mentioned monthly allowance i would say you can live comfortable here on all coasts, even on the east.
but there would be some differences.
your elder teenagers would not have the costs for their own car included in that.
and you need to check out what kind of school you want to send them, there are 3 teenagers, so to send them to a upper class private school would by far not be included in the allowance.
for the clothing shop i agree to prior postings, check out the area and that kind of business first so it will not be something which finally may cost you money instead of producing such.
welcome to the bord
and happy holidays
Mike

jgomes

Dec 20, 2008
WOW thanks for the knowledge. It's hard to get a straight answer and will my mom just wants me out there. So everything she tells me is how great it is.

That income should give you a fairly comfortable life, including school fees for the kids. But your mother is probably right about second-hand shops: I suggest you come for a preliminary visit, research the areas you plan to settle in first hand, speak to local residents and identify another gap in the market.

jgomes

Dec 20, 2008
So you have lived in the So/Cab area tell me how is it there how are the people? OK OK I mean what kind of people live there I was told it was a hugh mix of all kinds of people. I plan on taking a car although my mom has two out there I still want my own.
as far as everything but medical and school we would be getting it from the US.

Thanks for the quote

Welcome to the board!

To rent a house big enough for five in Sosua/Cabarete area will cost you $1200US.
So, you are left with $2000 a month for five people. $400 per person.
I think it is enough to survive but "comfortable" - I am afraid no.

(Car, medical costs, tuition fees, occasional eating out, cloth - all this is equal or more expensive than in USA).

In my opinion based on personal first hand experience in Sosua/Cabarete area - $1000US per person per month is needed AT LEAST for life that can be called moderately comfortable.

You may have better chances in campo.

Good luck!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
so i will add the medics.
in my case i pay a bit more than $150.- a month for the medics insurance for me and the Mrs and our 6 years old, it is a so called platinum plan from ARS Humano. they also have more economic rates for a bit more basic included services which would be actually aroun 750.- pesos/$22.0US per person per month.
in the school case it is tough/imp[ossible to quote for the kiddies without more detailed knowledge about 'what' you expect on such, because rates for private schools range all the way from $50.- to $3.000.- per month per kiddy, always you have to count the transportation to bring them to school extra.
in case of school/college i would highly recommend to check such out first right here directly with the schools and talking to parents of the kids of those different grades your's will go to before making any decision. the system and it's local rating is really something completely different to the one known back home.
to check out such should not be that difficult in your case because you have family living here, so get a ticket and visit that family for some weeks/months to find out what it really is about, then you will be much more confident in making a decision.
good luck
and welcome home
Mike