Expats experts wanted

bimmerman

Oct 27, 2008
Hi, I be traveling to Punta Cana on Feb 21st thru Mar 14th 2009. My wife and I are planning to retire in DR in 8-9 years from now or sooner if we win the lottery.;) I would love if I could meet up with one of you expats to pick your brain about retiring here. Please if someone is willing to give up some time with us while we are there please PM me. Thank you in advance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I haven't had my coffee, so bear with me.
The first thought I had was that if this fellow needs to win the lottery to retire, he cannot afford Punta Cana. Seek elsewhere friend.

That said, with good planning, there are places where you can retire, fairly comfortably with a lot less money than you think.

It might require some inventive life-style changes, but it is certainly doable.

Thing is, the ex-pats you will meet out in Punta Cana (those that are retired and living there) are, generally speaking, fairly well off with stable retirement income.
Next thing is that life out in the East is very limited, blindered if you will, with social interaction among "sets" that revolve around golf and cocktail parties and society, with a few "do-gooders" mixed in.
Finally, you are NOT REALLY in the DR out there. You are in what we call the Independent Republic of the East. The only time you meet real Dominicans (except for your maids and gardeners and other workers you might employ from time to time.) or real things Dominican is when you pass through Veron or Higuey on your way to a concert at Altos de Chavon or on a shopping trip to Santo Domingo.

I would suggest that over the next 8-9 years (unless you win the lottery) you explore other places such as the North Coast and the major cities and the not-so-major cities to see what the place is really like....you'll be surprised at the variety and complexity of the place.

Good luck....go really, really slow about purchasing anything for the next few years--especially in the East, called "the Mecca of forged property titles."

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Drink that coffee, HB! That comment meant s/he needed to win the lottery to move here before retirement.

To add another dimension to HB's description of PC/B?varo, there is also an increasing number of expats and 'real' Dominicans in the area who are running businesses, employed in local businesses at management/executive level, running businesses/working online, etc.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ahem! Point taken.

Yes, that is why I said "retired" ..I know there are a bunch of you guys out there trying to make a living, escaping from the "madding crowd" of Sto.DGo.

I just think that there are more options than the paradise of Punta Cana...

HB

expats

I read the post as 8 or 9 years down the road to retire there, sooner if they won a lottery.

There are more and more expats living in the area, many working and those that are retired and living in the East definitely have the financial resources to do so, real estate prices have ballooned in the past few years, maybe with economics times such as we see now prices might drop.

Personally, I feel that retiring in the DR would be best in an area far away from the maddening tourist area, some little town, village or small city.

bimmerman

Oct 27, 2008
Hillbilly, thank you for your input and everyone elses as well. If I could just pick up and go now I would, beleive me and that is the reason I must win the lottery first to go before 8-9 years. You see, I am in the police and fire retirement system and my wife works for the state as well. When my wife and I reach the age of 55 both of us could retire with state pensions, we will lose it if we retire before 55. Plus, I am retired military and getting a pension from them as well. So, when we do retire in 8-9 years we be better off finacially and we will have no other bills than as we do now. I didn't say we are interested in only Punta Cana area, I am open to anywhere. Of course there is certain things we want in an area. We want an ocean view, no crowded cities and a save neighborhoods. All I'm trying to do is to meet up with expats while I'm vacationing in Ocean Blue, Punta Cana to further my knowlwedge about live in the DR in general. When it is closer to us to retire is when I look closer into location first by renting and than by buying. Again, thank you for your help.