New Housekeeper

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
So everyone by now knows the trials and tribulations of Shalena...;)
So I am firing the housekeeper that I have now. I am moving to a new house the first week of February and I am just going to tell her that I can no longer afford her because my rent has gone up (Just a small white lie). A couple questions about that first before I get to what I need...
1.) Do I need to give her that in writing or can I just tell her?
2.) Will I need to give her any severance type pay by law?
3.) Is there a notice time frame before firing someone (like 2 weeks notice)?

Anyway, this is what I am looking for for a new housekeeper/nanny and I am only going to consider/interview people who come recommeded from one of you guys or someone I already know here in the DR
1.) Live-In - she will have her own room and bathroom, she will of course be fed, and have her own toiletries. She will have to be my substitute when I am in NY as far as taking care of the kids. She will have every other weekend off and time off when I am in the country. (More details by PM or during interview)
2.) Preferred age 22-28 - these younger girls seem to be more interested in the tigueres
3.) Trustworthy - I need to be able to leave money when I go to NYC for her to buy necesities and send to the school with the kids (occasionally they have a party or something at school and need to take 300RD or bring something for example)
4.) Pet-loving - needs to be able to take care of a puppy in the same manner and on the same schedule as I do when I am in the country
5.) Basic education - needs to be able to read basic Spanish, follow basic instructions, and take constructive criticism well
6.) Good work ethic - I need someone that after the initial list of what I expect, I do not need to continually tell her what to do.

Pay will be between 5,000RD-6,000RD per month plus transportation costs to her hometown if she wants to spend her weekends off with her family depending on what you guys think because you know more than I do on wages.
I am looking for someone to start the second week of February, so if you guys know or recommend someone please PM me.
Also, any suggestions or advice on what I may be doing wrong in this situation let me know.
Thanks again.......................
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
That really helped.........as I was reading it, I started to get worried until I got to the section at the bottom for Domestic Workers! Thanks
SHALENA

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
That really helped.........as I was reading it, I started to get worried until I got to the section at the bottom for Domestic Workers! Thanks
SHALENA

Yes, but that last section seems a little tricky and does not clearly define a domestic worker as a "live-in" type, but I think this is the inference. I would check with a lawyer to be sure or somebody more knowlegable than me on the subject.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Yes, but that last section seems a little tricky and does not clearly define a domestic worker as a "live-in" type, but I think this is the inference. I would check with a lawyer to be sure or somebody more knowlegable than me on the subject.

OK...Thanks again
SHALENA

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
In my opinion based on the wages being paid in this area (Juan Dolio) I think you might not be offering enough money. I doubt there would be many ladies in that age range without kids so she would have to pay someone to look after her kids. And as far as I can tell - here people usually pay more for live in (as away from family) rather than less as they get 'free' board and lodging.

Matilda

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
In my opinion based on the wages being paid in this area (Juan Dolio) I think you might not be offering enough money. I doubt there would be many ladies in that age range without kids so she would have to pay someone to look after her kids. And as far as I can tell - here people usually pay more for live in (as away from family) rather than less as they get 'free' board and lodging.

Matilda

Oh, OK, I didn't know. I did a search here on the site and most said that the live-ins make less, I actually came up with that number after reading the other threads on the subject.
Actually, I wouldn't mind someone with 1 child if she didn't mind the child sharing a room with her and if she had the ability to work still and attend to the needs of all of the children. I am not asking anyone to do anything that us single moms don't do by ourselves anyway. And I'm not the type to sit around and eat bon-bons while she's doing a bunch of work.
SHALENA

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Responisbility

I think you are looking for a very above average person to fill this position. The single most important quality which seems to shine thru your requirements seems to be absolute "responsibility", since you seem to plan on entrusting not just your home and it's cleanness to that person, but a child, a pet and money.
Continued and consistent responsibility seems rather rare around here in virtually all social levels.
If are indeed lucky enough to find such a person, she is more than likely to know that of her qualities and have a price tag quite a bit higher than what you seem to hope for.
I would suggest that you raise the age.
I think it may also be a worth while to consider idea to try to specifically find a single mother with a child that could join you all and live with you and, with your "help" attend the same school your kid does. Not only may this help synchronize the whole operation of sending your kid out on time but bond the mother to your family beyond the power of money. Some, yes only some, will value the opportunities given to their child way over a paycheck. Also being able to observe a potential home help with her child will tell you way much more about what to expect from her when it comes to taking care of yours.

Just some thoughts... J-D.

Reactions: MikeFisher

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I will make some inquiries. For the right person this is a great opportunity.

HB

Oh, I just checked with my daughter in law who had a nice woman in a very similar position, in Santo Domingo. Pay was RD$6500 every other weekend off. Lots of responsibility.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.......The single most important quality which seems to shine thru your requirements seems to be absolute "responsibility", since you seem to plan on entrusting not just your home and it's cleanness to that person, but a child, a pet and money...........

I may be wrong but I believe there is more than one child to tend to.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Shalena, I am in a different area to you but not a tourist area. Really the pay you are thinking of maybe ok for the housekeeping part but it sounds as if really she would also be a nanny/childminder too.

I have a live in nanny, she has her own room for her housekeeping duties i pay 2,000 per week. I am aware that usually a live in earns less but to be honest i have found in this situation they tend to work more as they dont arrive at 9am and go home at 5pm or whatever. My housekeeper works from 7am till sometimes 7pm at night, not because i ask her too but she feels inclined to make sure everything is done and done well, so i feel that 2,000 a week is justified.

On top of that she does help me with me 17 month old little girl, not full time but if i have errands, i run my business from home so i dont need alot of time to myself but its nice to have someone here who i have total confidence in with my little monster. For this i pay her an extra 1,000 a week.

So in total 3,000 per week. Im pretty sure she is the best paid housekeeper in Higuey, but in return i have a great worker!

As for the trust issue, For the first few days or even weeks i leave bundles of loose change around the house, bedroom and kitchen. I know exactly how much is there but leave it in such a way that they would think it is carelessly abandoned. If they are dishonest they will think nothing of lifting 100 pesos from it and then you will know if you can trust them. You wont be able to prove it or tackle them about if they do but you will know.

My recommendation is also to go for someone a little older, they tend to be more patient and less drama.

Good luck!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
1.) Live-In - she will have her own room and bathroom, she will of course be fed, and have her own toiletries. She will have to be my substitute when I am in NY as far as taking care of the kids........

Aren't you looking for someone to be 100% responsible for your kids 24 hours a day, several days in a row, while you are out of the country?

Wouldn't this be a major factor in what you would have to pay?

I don't think I would ever trust anyone to do that for my kids unless I have known them for a looooong time.

BTW how many kids are you talking about?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
fully agree with bigbird.
from my understanding we are talking about leaving the house and kid/kids and needed maintenance/feeding money to that person.
in my case i would need to know and def trust that specific person since a very long time before i leave my kid/kids with her while i am not only away for a business overnighter out of town but a stay out of the country.
agree to prior posters,
unless the person is not very well known by yourself i would consider a much higher age.
in case of a new housekeeper, a person i did not know before, i would not travel for many months to make sure the trust is really there, and i would not tell that unknown person from the beginning that i will stay out of the country once in a while leaving all to her responsibility.
look for a trustworthy person who does fine with your kids and runs the household in the way you want it to be done and after a longer timeperiod together you can inform her that you have to leave the country aso aso aso. at this moment you can offer something extra, like a raise of the salary for the time out of town or such, but i would not inform new stuff in the house that i plan to leave all to her in a short while.
we're talking about your kids.
happy holidays
Mike

Reactions: J D Sauser

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
fully agree with bigbird.
from my understanding we are talking about leaving the house and kid/kids and needed maintenance/feeding money to that person.
in my case i would need to know and def trust that specific person since a very long time before i leave my kid/kids with her while i am not only away for a business overnighter out of town but a stay out of the country................
Mike

Thanks Mike, I am glad to know someone else has the same point of view. I am surprised other parents are not asking similar questions.

I believe SKing will be out of the country for a week at a time at least once or twice a month. I may be old fashioned but ain't no way I am leaving my kids with someone I just recently met regardless of who recommended them to me.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I will make some inquiries. For the right person this is a great opportunity.

HB

Oh, I just checked with my daughter in law who had a nice woman in a very similar position, in Santo Domingo. Pay was RD$6500 every other weekend off. Lots of responsibility.
Thank you Hillbilly...to the rest of you I will not respond as I don't have to explain to anyone what I do with my kids..........
SHALENA

Anyone with recommendations, PM me......case closed.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Shalena, I am in a different area to you but not a tourist area. Really the pay you are thinking of maybe ok for the housekeeping part but it sounds as if really she would also be a nanny/childminder too.

I have a live in nanny, she has her own room for her housekeeping duties i pay 2,000 per week. I am aware that usually a live in earns less but to be honest i have found in this situation they tend to work more as they dont arrive at 9am and go home at 5pm or whatever. My housekeeper works from 7am till sometimes 7pm at night, not because i ask her too but she feels inclined to make sure everything is done and done well, so i feel that 2,000 a week is justified.

On top of that she does help me with me 17 month old little girl, not full time but if i have errands, i run my business from home so i dont need alot of time to myself but its nice to have someone here who i have total confidence in with my little monster. For this i pay her an extra 1,000 a week.

So in total 3,000 per week. Im pretty sure she is the best paid housekeeper in Higuey, but in return i have a great worker!

As for the trust issue, For the first few days or even weeks i leave bundles of loose change around the house, bedroom and kitchen. I know exactly how much is there but leave it in such a way that they would think it is carelessly abandoned. If they are dishonest they will think nothing of lifting 100 pesos from it and then you will know if you can trust them. You wont be able to prove it or tackle them about if they do but you will know.

My recommendation is also to go for someone a little older, they tend to be more patient and less drama.

Good luck!

Oh...and thank you too LauraJane. I will take all of that into consideration.;)
SHALENA

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Perhaps you could think outside of the box. Maybe there is someone you know and trust for a long time in the USA. I am sure there are people who admire you for being so brave to have changed your lifestyle to live on a beautiful island.
Many times expats will offer an American to stay in their house free just to have the security of knowing it will be cared for, cleaned, maintained and safe while they are away. When I lived in the RD I was offered this opportunity by expats of different nationalities. They knew me and trusted me, therefore it was a good deal for both parties.
The details could be worked out between you and your trusted friend. Maybe even a married couple.
It is quite common in the RD for people with domestic help to go through several employees before they find reliable help.
You would not have to train an American how to clean or care for children to American standards.
Good luck

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
maybe Dulce is onto something,,, when i was reading your job description ,i thought I would like that job ,I agree with several posters who suggested you try someone older. I guess its a process of trial and error finding the approiate person...Good Luck !!!

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I think you are looking for a very above average person to fill this position. The single most important quality which seems to shine thru your requirements seems to be absolute "responsibility", since you seem to plan on entrusting not just your home and it's cleanness to that person, but a child, a pet and money.
Continued and consistent responsibility seems rather rare around here in virtually all social levels.
If are indeed lucky enough to find such a person, she is more than likely to know that of her qualities and have a price tag quite a bit higher than what you seem to hope for.
I would suggest that you raise the age.
I think it may also be a worth while to consider idea to try to specifically find a single mother with a child that could join you all and live with you and, with your "help" attend the same school your kid does. Not only may this help synchronize the whole operation of sending your kid out on time but bond the mother to your family beyond the power of money. Some, yes only some, will value the opportunities given to their child way over a paycheck. Also being able to observe a potential home help with her child will tell you way much more about what to expect from her when it comes to taking care of yours.

Just some thoughts... J-D.

This sounds VERY logical.