Regalia Pay update

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Is the regalia pay still 1/12 of one months salary x the number of months employed in a year (3 mo. min.)?

thanks

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Yes, and I it is to be paid on or before Dec. 20. I am not exactly sure about the 3 month minimum part.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Incorrect - I was told by our labor lawyer that we pay 1/12 of earnings for everyone on staff.

That 3 month min only comes into play if you let them go.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Yeah, I understand the regalia is a "derecho adquirido" and as such everybody gets it, no matter what.

Even if they are serving jail time for robbing you with a gun they still get their Christmas pay.

Even if they only worked for one day, they are still legally entitled to a twelfth of whatever you paid them for that day.

If it only comes out to one or two pesos they may never come around asking for it, but thats a matter of convenience, not law.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
According to my wife, even if someone works for for six months, and then quits they are still entitled to the 13th salary. 1/12 x money paid. For example a teacher working for my wife worked from January to May then quit and went to New York. She returned to the DR in November and my wife had to pay her 4 months wages divided by 12, even though she no longer works for her. Now many employers don't follow the rules and there are some employees that don't know their rights, but if you want to avoid the hassles of the Labour department- and you do, it is better to follow the rules.