News - Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Stuck for a last-minute Christmas gift or souvenir?

As well as online from the DR1 Shop, our cookbooks Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook and Traditional Dominican Cookery are now available for purchase over the counter at a few outlets in the Punta Cana/B?varo area:

BROT Bagels, Punta Cana Village
Home Expressions, Plaza Sol B?varo
Unicane B?varo, Plaza Palma Real

In Santo Domingo, Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook is on sale exclusively at the Helen Kellogg Library. The library is located behind the Anglican Church on Avenida Independencia in Gazcue.

standard.jpg

A donation of US$1 for each copy of Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook sold goes to PLAN International's child and baby nutrition projects in the southwest of the DR.

We are also making a donation to the Helen Kellogg Library for each copy sold.

(Robert has kindly approved this message)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just heard that the Helen Kellogg Library has now closed for the holidays, and re-opens on Saturday January 3rd.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Chirimoya - What a wonderful cookbook! :bunny:

I picked up a copy from the Library before it closed for Christmas. I will be buying a few more copies before we head back to Australia to give out as gifts. :cheeky:

To all the DR1'ers - if you haven't picked up a copy - do! It is a wonderful book, full of useful information and fabulous recipes.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thank you so much for that endorsement, Sanation.

Let me take this opportunity to inform DR1ers on the north coast that Planner has several copies of Traditional Dominican Cookery for sale so please contact her if you would like a copy.

As ever, it is also available for purchase online from Ye Olde DR1 Shoppe. :)

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Chirimoya -
I also picked up a copy form the library and have thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I have not yet tried any of the recipes but can't wait to do so! Very well done!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks, Bellamona!

For capital-based posters, just a reminder that the Helen Kellogg library is still the only place to pick up a copy of either version of the cookbook in the capital.

And we got a nice little recommendation in the just published Rough Guide to the Dominican Republic: "A handy and comprehensive guide to preparing a vast array of Dominican dishes, from simple staples like rice and beans to morir so?ando through complicated day-long recipes for sancocho and pescado con coco."

Last edited:

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
From Lonely Planet's Dominican Republic & Haiti, 4th ed, 2008, and I quote:

"www.dominicancooking.com is a user-friendly website providing the history as well as the classic recipes of Dominican cuisine. Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook, sold on the site, is an excellent collection of recipes and source material on Dominican cuisine."

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
No problem :) I think they mention you on Lonely Planet's Dominican Republic from 2005. I give you a little word of mouth publicity every now and then in my part of the world.

I read that the Helen Kellogg Library is behind (close to?) the Anglican church in Gazcue, which church is that one? I wanna buy some early mother's day presents next time I go there.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The church is next to a hotel called La Casona Dorada, right before the intersection with Danae. Opposite the Communist party (Fuerza de la Revoluci?n) HQ. The library is off the parking area behind the church.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The current outlets for the Dominican cookbooks are:

The Meeting Place English bookstore and resource centre in Puerto Plata.
meetingplace-dr.com

Paper Moon Books and Brot Bagels in Punta Cana Village

MIRA bookstall in Palma Real Shopping Village, B?varo

And a few copies may still be available from the Helen Kellogg Library in Santo Domingo.

For those outside the DR, the best option remains the DR1 store but it is also available from several other online booksellers.

Dominican Bookshop -The Dominican Republic in Print

May 29, 2006
One of my favorite Dominican foods are the eggplant(auburgine) fritters. You cube up an eggplant into 1/2" chunks, salt them, then cook until tender, then make fritters with a batter that also has some minced onion in it. They should be about golf ball-sized. They are crispy on the outside and spongy tender and savory on the inside.