What Christmas is all about

yelkcub

Dec 11, 2007
www.buckrobin.com
The main reason for my visit to Santiago was to spend time visiting with the two boys ? Roberto and Bianny ? whom I sponsor through Children International. Unlike my visit in June when I was able to see the boys on separate days, this time it was necessary to see them together because of the busy Christmas season. And so, we decided to spend the day at one of the larger shopping malls in Santiago. I had brought several gifts with me from Canada but wanted to give the boys the chance to pick out what they wanted.

Since Roberto lives about an hour away from Santiago, he came with his mother and one of the CI Social Workers and they went directly to the mall. Yaseni, the CI field office worker (and my translator) arrived at my hotel together with Bianny, his father and their Social Worker and then we were off to the mall to meet up with Roberto.

We all got together in the cafeteria at the Mall to figure out our plans for the day. This mall is absolutely huge and would rival anything we have back in Canada. I told the boys that they could go shopping and that they had 2500 pesos each to spend (about $75 US).

The first place we hit was the shoe department because both boys decided they wanted some new shoes. It was difficult finding a pair of shoes that would fit Bianny and as you can see from the following picture he was getting a little bored with the whole thing:

DSC00231.jpg
He finally managed to find some that fit and to show you how unselfish this boy is, he said he wanted to get a pair for his younger sister who was back home. This is Bianny, his dad and me with the shoes.

IMGP0739.jpg
Meanwhile, Roberto had selected two pairs that he wanted:

DSC00234.jpg
Next on the list, was some new jeans.
Bianny is very shy and it takes him awhile to make up his mind .After looking at several pairs he decided on the following:

IMGP0743.jpg
Roberto, in the meantime, had selected his jeans as well as a T-Shirt he liked ? seen here with his mom:

IMGP0742.jpg
By the time the boys had finished with what they considered ?necessities?, they had purchased some new shoes, jeans and a t-shirt and had a little left over to buy a toy and some candy..
By this time, we were all getting hungry and so we returned to the cafeteria for some lunch. The unanimous choice was for pizza from Dominoes.

IMGP0750.jpg
When it was originally suggested to me that we would have to combine the visits with both kids, I was a little worried because I didn?t know whether or not they would get along. Roberto is 11 and Bianny is 9 and at first they were a little apprehensive together. But there?s a kid?s play area (similar to what you?ll find at McDonald?s back home) and they both headed there after lunch while the ?adults chatted.? I think this was the ?icebreaker? because when they returned to the table, they were laughing and joking together. It?s absolutely amazing how kids can get along when you leave them alone!
Here they are checking out the toy catalog:

IMGP0749.jpg
We left the mall to take Roberto, his mom and their social worker to the bus stop for their hour-long ride home at which time I gave Roberto the gifts I had brought from Canada. These mostly consisted of school supplies ? notebooks, pens etc that is so lacking in this country as well as a watch that I had gotten for him. Then Bianny, his dad, their social worker, Yaseni and I headed over to Bianny?s house to spend some time there.
While there, it was time to give the gifts I had brought from Canada for Bianny and his adorable little sister. I felt bad about the fact that there were cousins visiting and I didn?t have anything to give them.

IMGP0755.jpg
And then unfortunately, it was time for me to leave but I did so with the promise that I would be back again sometime next summer. The family wished me a ?feliz navidad? and Bianny wanted to give me a hug.

IMGP0756.jpg
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what Christmas is all about!

Cheers!
Robin

Reactions: DavidZ

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Robin,

That was perfect. The kids looked so happy and from the look on your face I can see that you enjoyed this as much as they did. You sure know the meaning of Christmas

Cheers
Erin

Reactions: DavidZ

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Christmas is about giving, regardless of who's been naughty or nice!

Ho Ho Ho, Merry christmas everyone!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
If only there was a world full of yelkcubs!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE

Agreed 100%! I have no doubt that your good deeds have brought so much joy and happiness to these 2 little people judging by the wonderful pics you shared with us, not to mention your very evident own happy smile.

May you have a wonderful Christmas yelkcub and may good fortune be yours in 2009 and always.

Great job, keep it up.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Yes Robin this is what Christmas is all about!

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Merry Christmas

yelkcub

Dec 11, 2007
www.buckrobin.com
Thank You

Thank you all for the kind comments. There is always some hesitancy to write about this because I?m not looking for recognition or that ?pat on the back.? If by mentioning Children International it generates interest in others to undertake sponsorship, then that?s the important thing. There are many worthwhile organizations looking after the needs of children wordlwide. I am paritcularly proud of the work done by CI because I?ve seen it first hand - where those monthly dollars go in providing much needed medical, dental, housing and educational necessities.

I have been fortunate to be able to visit the families of both boys whom I sponsor, not once, but twice this year and seeing the look on their faces when I arrive is something you can?t put into words. The joy they bring me is just as much!

Once again, many thanks for your comments and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous and healthy New Year!

Robin

Reactions: drloca

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thank you all for the kind comments. There is always some hesitancy to write about this because I?m not looking for recognition or that ?pat on the back.? If by mentioning Children International it generates interest in others to undertake sponsorship, then that?s the important thing.

Better to report & risk being misinterpreted than not to report & leave others who would like to sponsor, unaware. Your next report in 2009 is likely to be when next summer? Just asking so that if I don't see it I can post a question at the time asking where it is ;).

Happy New Year! :)