12 days of christmas

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
There is one Christmas Carol that always baffles us. What in the world do leaping lords, French hens, swimming swans, and especially the partridge who won't come out of the pear tree have to do with Christmas?

From 1558 until 1829, Roman Catholics in England were not permitted to practice their faith openly. Someone during that era wrote this carol as a catechism song for young Catholics. It has two levels of meaning: the surface meaning plus a hidden meaning known only to members of their church. Each element in the carol has a code word for a religious reality which the children could remember.

-The partridge in a pear tree was Jesus Christ.

-Two turtle doves were the Old and New Testaments.
-Three French hens stood for faith, hope and love.

-The four calling birds were the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.

-The five golden rings recalled the Torah or Law, the first five books of the Old Testament.

-The six geese a-laying stood for the six days of creation.

-Seven swans a-swimming represented the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit--Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership and Mercy.

-The eight maids a-milking were the eight beatitudes.

-Nine ladies dancing were the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit--Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-Control.

-The ten lords a-leaping were the ten commandments.

-The eleven pipers piping stood for the eleven faithful disciples.

-The twelve drummers drumming symbolized the twelve points of belief in the Apostles' Creed.

Merry (Twelve Days of) Christmas Everyone

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Having just started trying to remember and sing lots of childrens nursery rhymes and such, I have only just realized as an adult that none of them make any sense and i am sure are code for something...either that or someone was on lsd when they created them.

I was singing, "its raining its pouring, the old man is snoring, he went to bed and bumped his head and couldnt get up in the morning".....Am i singing about some dead old guy or is he just hung over? LOL!

Then theres.....Nik nak paddy wack, give the dog a bone, this old man came rolling home!

Ring a ring of roses, a pocket full of poses, a tissue, a tissue, we all fall down!

Roc-a-bye baby, on the tree top, When the wind blows the cradle will rock, When the bow breaks the cradle will fall, Down will come cradle, baby and all!
..........slightly disturbing :ermm:

Cant think of any more of the top of my head, but maybe someone knows the origin or hidden meaning behind some of these songs.

x

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Having just started trying to remember and sing lots of childrens nursery rhymes and such, I have only just realized as an adult that none of them make any sense and i am sure are code for something...either that or someone was on lsd when they created them.

I was singing, "its raining its pouring, the old man is snoring, he went to bed and bumped his head and couldnt get up in the morning".....Am i singing about some dead old guy or is he just hung over? LOL!

Then theres.....Nik nak paddy wack, give the dog a bone, this old man came rolling home!

Ring a ring of roses, a pocket full of poses, a tissue, a tissue, we all fall down!

Roc-a-bye baby, on the tree top, When the wind blows the cradle will rock, When the bow breaks the cradle will fall, Down will come cradle, baby and all!
..........slightly disturbing :ermm:

Cant think of any more of the top of my head, but maybe someone knows the origin or hidden meaning behind some of these songs.

x
All of the nursery rhymes were once "folk songs" depicting topical events, allegories if you like.

The "ring of roses" one comes from one of the plague periods in England. I don't really remember if it was the Black Death in 1348 or the Great Plague of 1665, but I think it's probably the latter. The ring of roses was the body rash that the plague brought about and the pocketful of posies refers to a bunch of fresh flowers thought to protect from the infection. Atishoo! (not "a tissue") referred to the sneezing fit which marked the terminal stages of the disease, "we all fall down" speaks for itself.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
All of the nursery rhymes were once "folk songs" depicting topical events, allegories if you like.

The "ring of roses" one comes from one of the plague periods in England. I don't really remember if it was the Black Death in 1348 or the Great Plague of 1665, but I think it's probably the latter. The ring of roses was the body rash that the plague brought about and the pocketful of posies refers to a bunch of fresh flowers thought to protect from the infection. Atishoo! (not "a tissue") referred to the sneezing fit which marked the terminal stages of the disease, "we all fall down" speaks for itself.
:ermm: snopes.com: Ring Around the Rosie

Ring Around the Rosie is About the Bubonic Plague - Associated Content