Roast Pork on the Spit

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Well it is that time of year again and the pigs are squealing. Follow this link and be sure to click on the two YouTube clips.

Sosua News December 2007

Sos?a-News

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.........Man, now that you mention it, I have NEVER seen so many roast pigs for sale on the street in Santo Domingo, EVER!!

Just driving from 27 Feb to Kennedy on Nunez de Caceres, there were HUNDREDS of them, stacked against trees, wrapped in plastic, still on the spit...........

Yeah, Xmas Eve Dinner. There is a thread buried on this board somewhere describing the Dominican Holiday Tradition. I wish I could find it as it is always a good read this time of year. I left the DR on the 23rd and you could start to feel the Dominican Family Love building up for the holidays as people were being greeted at the airport. There wasn't a Santa Claus at all at the airport, just families. Isn't that the way it should be?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yes, yes, yes ........ I have lost my mind and bumping a ten year old thread. Heck, we have new members who may not have seen the videos and it's that time of year again.

Feliz Navidad ........ (take a few moments to be thankful you made it to see another holiday season)

[video=youtube;oCTfpWo6Olo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCTfpWo6Olo&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fsacandomelao.blogspot.com%2F[/video]

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Love me Some Pernil .. I lose my mind when its in the Oven, anticipation .... have never done the whole pig on a spit thing before .. but have tasted it, and its off the Charts DELISH.... One day
The whole process is fascinating.. Looks like they are using Chicken wire though, I would not recommend that if its Galvanized.. u need to get you some stranded Stainless if you gonna do it .
Man I can smell that meat from here ....now I'm drooling all over the floor.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.............. .... have never done the whole pig on a spit thing before .. but have tasted it, and its off the Charts DELISH.... One day ............

DELISH, it most certainly is. There are those roadside stands just outside La Vega that sell cerdo asado but when I am on Caribe Tours or Metro I look the other way. Not too easy to tell the bus driver to pull over and wait a few minutes. LOL

I did find a reliable spot in SD (gazcue/zona) that always has the pork for sale by the pound.

Villar Hnos restaurant on independencia will have a line three blocks long on the 24th. They sell until they run out, which is fast.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Indeed, the pig roasting season is here. Not sure about prices up in Sosua
but down here in Santiago it usually sells for RD$200- RD$250 per pound.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Indeed, the pig roasting season is here. Not sure about prices up in Sosua
but down here in Santiago it usually sells for RD$200- RD$250 per pound.

Yeah 250 pesos per lb would be the price, for " normal " days, at a road side " pork shop ", ie lechonera. And its normaly one single puerco asado, and not every single days ( mainly weekends). The rest of the week they sell chicharron, carne salado, longaniza.

Around Xmas times people would bring a live pig, to the same place, a couple of days before Xmas, and pay 1500 to 2000 pesos ( depending on the lechonera and the size of the pig ), to have it killed, cleaned, seasoned and cooked.
Then you would go and pick it up on the 24th.

Its kind of a " new thing" for campo folks. Up until 5 or 6 years ago, no one would dream of having their pig prepared for them ( apart from the visiting city folk-- but they dont count ;) ). Its kind of tradition to do it at home ( well not actually in your home, obviously, ). But it actually caught on big time the prepare-your-puerco-asodo-thingy. They still dont sell the actual pig though ( not enough pesos to invest, for now, as weare talking about dozens and dozens of pigs for the 24th ), I am guessing thats the next big step up.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yeah 250 pesos per lb would be the price, for " normal " days, at a road side " pork shop ", ie lechonera. And its normaly one single puerco asado, and not every single days ( mainly weekends). The rest of the week they sell chicharron, carne salado, longaniza.

Around Xmas times people would bring a live pig, to the same place, a couple of days before Xmas, and pay 1500 to 2000 pesos ( depending on the lechonera and the size of the pig ), to have it killed, cleaned, seasoned and cooked.
Then you would go and pick it up on the 24th.

Its kind of a " new thing" for campo folks. Up until 5 or 6 years ago, no one would dream of having their pig prepared for them ( apart from the visiting city folk-- but they dont count ;) ). Its kind of tradition to do it at home ( well not actually in your home, obviously, ). But it actually caught on big time the prepare-your-puerco-asodo-thingy. They still dont sell the actual pig though ( not enough pesos to invest, for now, as weare talking about dozens and dozens of pigs for the 24th ), I am guessing thats the next big step up.

Like last year, I'm spending this Christmas in Moca and I'm looking forward to eating as
much roasted pig as my stomach will allow :laugh::laugh::laugh:

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
our neighbor has been cooking pig everyday since weds. smells so good,yum yum. smoke not so good but worth the pig we all will enjoy with him come xmas eve.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My neighbor cooks pigs for special occasions

At Christmas, he does 12-15.
I thought that was a big deal until I heard that the fellow down the street does over 60

They come from all over.....for the pigs

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've got a friend in Maimon who has done pigs for years. He can live for a few months on what he makes during the holiday season.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not cheap those spit roasted puercos

We had one on New Year's Day once...
The pig then the cooking....it adds up

I bought the little rascal before the Christmas price hike....
we kept it down the hill...after I had it in a bag in the back of my car !!!
I told them - tie that bag tightly !!

We fed it kitchen scraps for 2-3 weeks

My daughters wouldn't go near it... didn't want to 'meet' the meal

Just like a puppy
It stood up on the fence when it heard me coming with the food

Our pet - the dinner.....