weather in summer

W

willow

my mom and i are considering taking a vacation in the DR next summer, during the four weeks of august. we have found a resort and everything but what i am wondering is what's the weather like in august? i know there are highs of around 86f, and 6 inches of rain per month, but how much does it rain each day and also my mom wants to know are there hurricanes?

S

Susanne

The short answer is: It depends on where you are going. The average amount of rain and when it falls varies greatly from district to district.

Generally speaking the months of summer tends to be pretty dry around Puerto Plata whereas it is the wettest time a year in the Punta Cana area. But even where it is wet, it will usually not rain for long, even if it does come down heavy.

Temperatures will be high and it will most likely feel even hotter due to humidity in the summer. As for water temperature, the North Coast is facing the Atlantic Ocean and is cooler (but still nice) than the Punta Cana area and the rest of the Caribbean coastline.

But to give you more details it would be necessary to know what district you are going to.

Regards,
Susanne

L

Lynda

I vacation every summer in Puerto Plata. It is hot and humid usually, but i found that this august was not as humid as other years. In month we had very little rain, even with hurricane Debby.