Christmas Eve at the HB Hovel

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Christmas eve at the house is always special.
It starts with a massive cleanup of a year's accumulation of stuff, a lot of yelling and shouting of "Do this!" and "Do that!" and "Did you do it yet?"

I nap, since I started my day a 4:00 a.m., until it is no longer possible.

Next is a "mission impossible": Find good, dry yeast for the baking of this year's batch of butter rolls...OMG! There is NONE in El Nacional, or Pola,( where I get batteries for two small clocks on one of my son's trophies,and next door, at Ochoa's where I get some hangers for the pictures and plaques.) or Central...what to do....?

Brain comes through and says: "Dude, where do you go almost every day to buy bread for breakfast?" La Campagna!! And I know where the main bakery is located!!!!

Some conversation on my plight, and I get 6 tbs of dry yeast with instructions to put it in the fridge right away....

I come home thinking I am the Conquering Hero, and like happens so often, she says, "I found some!" Oh well, I done good.

Then I spent the afternoon putting up a lot of pictures and plaques in what was the old dining area.

Then, in the early afternoon, my "real" work begins....cooking the turkey and the leg of pork.

I get out the Joy of Cooking (the world's Second Bible), and review. Put the leg into the 325 oven and find a cold beer and a good book by Louis L'Amour....Mrs HB begins her process of making the butter rolls....measuring ("Honey? How much is 3/4 + 3/4 + 3/4?")
"Honey, I don't think this yeast is working!!!!"

"Uh huh"

"If we don't have these rolls, Christmas dinner is spoiled!"

"Well, use the yeast I brought!" sez I...

Long story short, it worked wonderfully and this morning we once more ate wonderful warmed over butter rolls.

Meanwhile, back at the oven...
I order a dozen large beers ( who cares what kind?) and begin the process.

5 hours later, some of the 15 or so folks sat down to:
Moro Negro
Pavo horneado a la perfecci?n
Pierna de Puerco y su cuero!
Ensalada verde con salsa balsamico
Pastel?n de pl?tano maduro
The world famous butter rolls

Wines of different origins.

Flan
Apple pie
Cake with caramel sauce

Wine, good whiskey, and beer, did I mention beer?

Santa Clause showed up around 12, pictures were taken, we'll see if I can get them up here...

Kids to bed, place semi-cleaned up and to bed...

A Merry Christmas to all!!!

HB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
How good that all sounds - there must be millions who would love to have exactly your type of Christmas Eve..... happy Christmas to all the Hillbilly clan xxx

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Wow, what a talented host and hostess duo!

Sounds like a wonderful evening, enjoying a good meal and good company...along with some beverages.

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas amigo,

now if I were going to spend Christmas in the DR, I think I would want to do it at the HB Hovel, the menu sounds great, I can almost smell the food.
I know that the company and companionship wwud be great also.

Have a great one.

Hlywud & the Warden

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Sounds like fun Luis.

BTW, is it that hard to get good yeast here in the DR? I have been thinking about making homemade pizza and noticed that there were a few brands at El Nacional, but I suppose these are inferior.

Merry Christmas y prospero a?o nuevo!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Feliz Navidad!!!!

Mmmmmm HB nice, glad you and yours enjoyed yourselves. :lick::cheeky:

I made my famous lasagna and couldn't eat any of it.....:mad:

I had a stomach virus..:tired:...i.ate two apples on Christmas eve day and lots of water in the evening.......so i fasted for a day and half........but don't worry i feel like new now. :bunny:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
chip:

The only dry yeast that is sold here is only in El Nacional...The bakeries buy theirs elsewhere...
But this year they were all out...I was impressed with how the baker's dry yeast worked....great bread for the meal and breakfast the next day..

HB