Coal ash, rock ash, fly ash, kiss my ash, whatever you call it..

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There was a huge spill of coal ash in Tennessee last Monday, and it spilled hundreds of millions of gallons of sludge made up of water and coal ash. ur old friend "rock ash",,...

As I have said in other places, nobody calls this stuff 'rock ash' but more likely fly ash or coal ash.

Here is a link to the New York Times article on the spill and the worries.

They are talking about millions of cubic meters of the stuff....

And we were worried about Manzanillo and Saman???? As well we should be from this article....

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/us/25sludge.html?pagewanted=2&emc=eta1

HB

If you w ant the whole article, send me a PM and I'll send it to you...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Is it because you all have NYT accounts or is nobody really ready to read about what is being said abut this fly ash????
Come on folks, read the article, and see why the folks out east in Samana and out west in Manzanillo had a reason or two to be worried.
The videos on the various newscasts shows lots of dead fishies...

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thank goodness for the EPA, but what is one to do about it here in the DR?

I'm still trying to figure out how one generates a consensus here in order to effect change, ie the government just doesn't seem to be able to be pressured or concerned about issues - a good example is the Tavares dam debacle.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Coal Ash Spill Is Much Larger Than Initially Estimated

This thing is worse than originally thought....

Authority officials initially said that about 1.7 million cubic yards of wet coal ash had spilled when the earthen retaining wall of an ash pond breached, but on Thursday they released the results of an aerial survey that showed the actual amount was 5.4 million cubic yards, or enough to flood more than 3,000 acres one foot deep. The amount now said to have been spilled is larger than the amount the Authority initially said was in the pond, 2.6 million cubic yards.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Uh huh, which might explain just why the retaining wall broke??? Perhaps the shyte has it the fan??? Doubt it...Major clean up and two houses to pay for is about all...so far...

HB