Single Girls Trip to DR ... where to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JitzBitz

Dec 25, 2008
Hello!!

My girlfriends and I are planning a last minute trip to DR.
We are planning to depart on Jan. 4/5th and then back to snowy Toronto on Jan. 11/12th.

This is our first time to DR. We can't decide if we want to go to Punta Cana, Santo Domingo, or Cabarete.

This is what we are looking for:
Beach - clean, sun, and people on it (we are afraid it might be deserted in early Jan.)
Resort - AI, clean, good food (I guess its hard to get good food with AI, but we'll hope for the best)
Things to do at night - by this I don't mean clubs only, but bars or restaurants (I know that most resort have nightly shows), somewhere we can walk around and its safe
People - not all honeymooners/couples

Any help would be GREAT.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hello!!

We are planning to depart on Jan. 4/5th and then back to snowy Toronto on Jan. 11/12th.

This is our first time to DR. We can't decide if we want to go to Punta Cana, Santo Domingo, or Cabarete.

Beach - clean, sun, and people on it (we are afraid it might be deserted in early Jan.)
Resort - AI, clean, good food (I guess its hard to get good food with AI, but we'll hope for the best)
Things to do at night - by this I don't mean clubs only, but bars or restaurants (I know that most resort have nightly shows), somewhere we can walk around and its safe

Any help would be GREAT.

If your single then come to Sosua / Cabarete.

There is great night life and single guys.

It is completely safe here on the North Coast as I have lived here for 2.5 years.

Sosua by the sea is quite nice if you want an all inclusive but you don't need an all inclusive as the food is quite reasonable in Sosua.

Get out and live a little, don't stay locked in to some A1 thinking you will get robbed, as a matter of fact your odds of getting robbed in an A1 are greater by the staff

JitzBitz

Dec 25, 2008
Thanks Mike!
It isn't about getting robbed, its more about convenience ... AI is just more convenient because we won't have to pick a place for dinner or worry about pay-as-you-go for drinks. However non-AI could be a good way to explore the city.

Is Punta Cana really all honeymooners and couples as the websites indicate?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you insist on going AI, I would look at Viva Wyndham Tangerine, Cabarete, It's a 5 minute taxi into downtown Cabarete.

Cabarete has a vibrant nightlife, so you can have the luxurious buffet food in your resort and the nightlife outside.

I personally would rent a condo in Cabarete and eat at the many local restaurants.

tambo'

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
The most

Party in Sosua and Cabarette. I would skip the AI. Rent a condo or villa for a fews days.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
If it's not just beach, food and all inclusive drinks you are looking for, I think Cabarete offers a balanced alternative between the quite and somewhat off action Punta Cana AI's and the maybe too intensive or too colorful action of Sosua. If you want to get to know Sosua, it's a cheap 15 minutes ride West of Cabarete. If quite and beachy is what you prefer, Cabarete will offer that almost as good as Punta Cana, but maybe with a little more life.

I'd give "Tamborista's" suggestion some thougt, the Viva Tangerine is idealy located, good, clean and safe and is one of those AI hotels often found at good discount rate on many of the most frequented Internet travel discount sites.

Too say "it" is all 100% safe, is, in my opinion misleading, especially when we don't know how street smart you gals are and how much experience you have in being in a very different country (you mention this will be a first in the DR).
So please, be cautious and don't take the many "friendships" you WILL be offered too serious. Don't follow people to place you have not seen before.
Read our Sankie 101 section before you come, so to also understand local men before you are to find out.

... J-D.

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
Cabarete

Punta Cana will be relatively boring for a single girls trip. Good food and beach, but a milk toast experience.

Cabarete has a great variety of places to stay. You can get a spectacular view and beautiful surroundings if you rent a condo or two at Velero Beach Resort. Or rent one of the beachside condo's from Palm Beach Condo's. You can walk to lots of bars and restaurants from both places. Some of the beach bars in Cabarete go off after 11p and they are an easy walk from either Velero or PBC. If you would prefer to spend less on lodging, consider Taina, Kaoba or Cita del Sol.

Tangerine and Casa Laguna are the two AI's that I know of. I would avoid them both, but if you must they will offer you decent lodging and bad food and a funny looking bracelet.

Search for the restaurants in Cabarete thread and you will see there is a great diversity of opportunities to eat and many are located on the beach.

Cabarete offers lots of nice places to stay, beautiful beach, many eating choices and some very fun night life.

You really should forget about Punta Cana! (my dos pesos!)

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
Hi there ,,Viva is a good choice and if you are looking for a condo i would reccomend Cabarete Palm Beach ,,Have a good trip

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
how many girls total are going? I agree with many people's responses here. Ditch the AI and head for Cabarete. i asked how many in the group as you can get some nice suites or bungalows reasonablty priced where you can accomodate 4 or more people. And the best places to eat and nightlife is found there in Cabarete/Sosua. if you ladies feel like venturing off go to Puerto Plata where nightlife is good too! :)

Sep 19, 2005
There is no doubt that many seasoned travelors love ditching the AI's...BUT, I think they have their place.

the rookie travelor wants it easy, they dont want to be branching out and doing forays into the unknown. They planned a get away to the sun and the beach , and they want everythign nice and neat close to where they sleep. I can see that.

they dont have a feel for seeing dominicanlife yet...maybe they will try one of those trips on the second or third visit.

but let them stay at the AI.

and if they are single girls...they can find their animation men at Punta Cana for sure.

so i doubt they would be dissapointed like a group of single guys would be , by going to Punta cana...

But i would add that they could probably save a little money and have just as good a time , if not better in a more diversified place like Cabarete.

Sosua doesnt seem like a single girl town so much to me...especially girls wanting to go out partying...

bad bob

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
I would say go to Cararete or Sosua for the night life, but if this is your first time then I would say stay in an AI and if you feel like seeing the outside of the AI resort you can. In Sosua there are many places to eat, drink and have a good time. Cabarete offers the same thing. I also agree with people on here and say stay at the Viva Tangerine. You can get to and from Sosua easily and also you have the night life and beaches of Cabarete there also.

Cheers
Erin

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
you ladies don't sound like you're chasing dominican men so yes i would stay at an AI this time around. casa marina, sosua bay or sosua by the sea would be excellent choices in sosua.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Thanks Mike!
It isn't about getting robbed, its more about convenience ... AI is just more convenient because we won't have to pick a place for dinner or worry about pay-as-you-go for drinks. However non-AI could be a good way to explore the city.

Is Punta Cana really all honeymooners and couples as the websites indicate?

Head to Cabarete. Punta Cana is not going to be very fun for a single girls trip. Cabarete has lots of sports so there are lots of guys, buff types, who are there for a dance and to help pay for those drinks.

Stay at Velero Beach Resort (Velero Beach Resort; Dominican Republic Luxury Vacation Resort Hotel & Luxury Condo Rentals). It's the best!

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Cabarete and Sosua sounds nice if you want to see the same stuff for a week. If you want an AI, than North Coast is the place to go. If you want real nightlife come to Santo Domingo. You have all the bars and clubs you want, and a variety of nightlife options. Getting around might be a bit a pain, since you don't have a car, but there is still much to do and see. Plus the beach is 20 minutes away. Yes, it is a bigger city and a different vibe from the North Coast, but for young people looking to really get down this might be the place.

Mr. Lu

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I vote for North Coast - Sosua & Cabarete or Puerto Plata. You can stay at the AI as a home base and easily get around in taxis there to all the fun off resort things too. I live near the capital where there are lots of things to do but it's problematic without a car (or tons of $$ for a cab). Even if you do rent a car, if you don't know how to get around it can be stressful.

Sep 19, 2005
Cabarete and Sosua sounds nice if you want to see the same stuff for a week. If you want an AI, than North Coast is the place to go. If you want real nightlife come to Santo Domingo. You have all the bars and clubs you want, and a variety of nightlife options. Getting around might be a bit a pain, since you don't have a car, but there is still much to do and see. Plus the beach is 20 minutes away. Yes, it is a bigger city and a different vibe from the North Coast, but for young people looking to really get down this might be the place.

Mr. Lu

I dont think SD has the kind of walk around night life the op is talking about. Like walk from bar to bar...

the capital is an experienced persons trip....or a huge group with a guide...and it doesnt have a tourists appeal to the night life....like the resort areas do.

the well seasoned tourist can enjoy what SD has to offer....but it would overwhelm a newbie.

the op should really rank the activities they want in order of importance....because each place offers a little more of one than the other..it is like a sliding scale.

Punta Cana has some of the best beaches...and some people go JUST for the view of the beach and the warm weather.

bad bob

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Head for Rocky,s

Hello!!

Any help would be GREAT.

Party in Sosua and Cabarette. I would skip the AI. Rent ROCKY,S condo for a fews days.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Head for Rocky,s
merry2.gif
merry1.gif
merry3.gif

..........................................Plus free Massage.............................
ATT00011.gif
Squirrel.gif
ATT00011.gif

:bunny: ,Look no further http://www.dr1.com/forums/polls/79452-best-budget-hotel-sos-2.html
A variety of services such as FREE airport pick-up for hotel guests, travel information from people who really know, public internet service, FREE Wifi, security box (safe), multi-lingual staff and more, make Rocky's a great place to visit
http://www.dr1.com/forums/members/rocky.html

Home Page
Rocky's Rock & Blues Bar and Hotel, Sosua - Dominican Republic
This Page
http://www.dr1.com/forums/members/rocky.html

Status
Not open for further replies.