My experience leaving the DR via Puerto Plata airport

last time

Dec 25, 2008
I went through what we all refer to as airport security to get to the gate.

The security officers were anything but security. I needed security from the security.

I don't think any of the, for lack of a more appropriate word, "employees" were ever trained in any security related guidance.

So back to the alleged security professionals...(I have to laugh even writing that) asked if I had liquids. I pointed out the bag of liquids in its airport approved size. Instead of acknowledging the bad, the guy chose to rifle through my wallet as though he was going to find a waterfall. Then another man came over and decided to go through my wallet AGAIN. They found my cash and credit cards very interesting...and it was a blatant attempt to rob me of anything they could get away with.

The second guy, laid the wallet on its side, money side up and out of my view, I could see the wheels churning in his head how he was going to get the cash and cards out without my seeing him do it. At this point I had had it and reached around and grabbed my wallet saying they had searched it well enough and they were not going to find liquid in my wallet although to them I believe they thought this was going to be easy pickings.

It was clear as a bell they wanted to rob me. The security at the airport was prepared to rob me! Isn't that reassuring?!? Sickening... What scam artists do they hire to steal from the tourists!?! Good job airport authority! Way to go on your process to hire. Do you make sure they have a criminal record before you hire them on?

After going through all my stuff, the two security officers decided they wanted my camera and I know enough Spanish to know they couldn't figure out a way to get that from me too.

Finally, the one who knew they weren't going to be able to rob me blind, picked up a condom out of my belongings and held it up and said, "I'm gong to keep this for myself." So weird it was surreal.

I just could not believe this was happening.

These thieves were all about how to rip me off not about keeping the airport safe.

The girl after me said they pinched her behind and tried to steal her money too.

The most unprofessional group I have ever laid my eyes on. I felt violated and insulted. If this is how they want to keep tourists from coming back they have succeeded.

I have never been so relieved to leave a country. I will never return.

I have traveled the world over and never seen such behavior in my life.

If the Dominican Airport Authority think this is ok and we should expect people who are hired to secure the airport to steal from and sexually assault the passengers they have another thing coming.

NOTE: Even though it is a federal requirement of the US Government that ALL luggage going on board to the USA be x-rayed before being checked...this did not happen either.

Their idea of security is not providing any.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have never had any problems either over the last 15 years. We DID have a (very) small problem when coming IN to the country but that was so minor as to be laughable (& we overcame that with a smile & a joke!!).

I am NOT saying that what you say happened to you is an isolated case but I am sure if you would be so kind as to quote date, time & flight that this occurred then someone will be able to take the matter a bit further. Maybe (at a later stage) you would like to give a description &/or names of the security guards that attempted to rob you. ~ Grahame.

Reactions: Rocky

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Some of my DR experiences

Dominican security at airports will try to rob and steal from most individuals. The month of December is when the wolves come out.
I think their main purpose at the airport is to steal from tourist. I don?t speak spanish but I usually open my passport to show how many times I have visited the Dominican Republic and they leave me alone. Once they tried to keep my rechargeable batteries and I stood my ground and said no way. Another time a customs agent told me I had to pay him US $10.00. I told him I paid for the tourist card and I don?t have to pay no more.
I never had any problems at Puerto Plata airport. I have experienced the majority of problems at Santo Domingo airport.
My last trip to Dominican Republic was in Sept. 2008 and usually tourists are waved through SDQ customs. This time I was detained by Dominican customs and two English speaking guys walked over to me and searched my luggage and asked me if I was carrying US $10,000.00 into the country. I had a stack of one dollar bills in one of my bags. I told him he is welcome count it. Then, he continued with the questioning which I found intrusive and I found myself become irritated. They never introduced themselves but I think they were working with the US federal government.
My two friends arrived a day before me encountered the same two guys at SDQ customs and were asked the same questions.
I have visited the Dominican Republic over 30 times for the past five years and I look at these incidents as a learning experience and hazards of traveling to DR. Just like experiencing panhandlers, rude behavior, bad drivers, really carefully crossing a street, everyone have their hand out for a dollar (that?s why I carry about 50 one dollar bill) and hookers that loves me.
My experiences of clueless Dominicans, beautiful women, the pool parties, ribs at Rockys, hanging at Classicos, the climate, a few good friends and the 3 ? hour flight three times a year for some fun a middle age guy will not experience in the US is worth it.
Basically, fun in the sun and what happens in DR stays in DR. These days I don?t even travel to DR for the women. I like meeting new people and hanging with my friends.
We are not promised tomorrow, so have some fun today and move on.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Without names, flight numbers and dates we can't do much. If it was Santiago I could almost guarantee action. In POP, the airport is now run by a Mexican company,and I don't know anyone there...but i am sure we can find someone..

HB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
With over 100 entry/exits to DR over last 18 years I've yet to have a 'problem'. I've had bags looked in on occasion - standard for any airport.

However, leaving POP last Sunday afternoon I got a pat down, requested to turn on my laptop (which the guy said 'ok' before the windows screen even came on) & my backpack was gone through thoroughly, to the point of the guy flipping thru the pages of my checkbook. It didn't feel "right" & I kept a constant eye on the guy's hands. Perhaps that he had the bag in front of him with his back to me was of most concern - and that I had credit cards, a watch, cell phone, and other small palmable items in there.

Anyhow, I can understand someone not being too comfortable with that. Were it done away from the area where everyone is picking up their bags from the conveyor belt, with the customs guy on the other side of the table so you can watch them - wouldn't be so suspicious.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
how can you know they were going to steal your money if they didnt take anything ? and why let an airport experience put you off an entire country- I presume you didnt have a very good holiday either

he laid the wallet money side up, out of my view - milud how do you know if it was out of view

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Without names, flight numbers and dates we can't do much. If it was Santiago I could almost guarantee action. In POP, the airport is now run by a Mexican company,and I don't know anyone there...but i am sure we can find someone..
HB

That 'SOMEONE' posts on this board HB - that is why I asked for the details. Heck man, you even played golf with him in a fourball earlier this year!:ermm:!:surprised!

Oh hang on though ..................... that was BEFORE your Christmas eve bash!!!:cheeky:!!!;)!!! ~ Grahame

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Someone has seen it - I emailed it to him earlier. If the OP had been concerned about putting the problem right for the benefit of others, he would have given date, airline, flight number, time, ID of offending security personnel, offered any photos he took etc etc. THEN the post would have attracted serious attention.

As it is, a vent is just a vent. And as the OP says he isn't coming back one can only assume he isn't interested in a factual report such that an investigation could be made. We have had altruistic posters in the past who have supplied details.

MDWsur

Dec 26, 2008
Big Dummy

I am a big dummy, but I have never had a problem at either POP or SDQ airports. Ever.

I agree that without a name or flight number, the post is likely nonsense.

MDW

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
this is a thread that raises more questions than answers .
Would you bother to register for a forum to post a message saying you would never return to that country ? what is the point of the post if proper details are not given ? how can you complain about something that didnt happen ie having your money and camera stolen ?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I had a similar wallet experience on my second trip here. I did just reach over and took it back from him. He was slightly startled but did nothing. Since then when they ask to empty my pockets and put everything on the conveyer belt i leave my wallet in my pocket.
In 5 years of using the POP airport this has been to only "strange" thing to happen.

Bob K

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Unfortunately this story is not unheard of in the tourist realm. I post on several tourist based boards and this type of story comes up every now and then; frequently enough that I tend to believe it when such an experience is related to me.

A couple of things to remember:

1) The average AI tourist is not an experienced traveler by DR1 standards and the whole security/migracion/aduana experience is a bit daunting for them and there is a bit of the "deer in the headlights" syndrome when they encounter an authority figure.

2) I believe that we should focus on the problem and not question the motivation of the OP to post. DR1 forums are rife with stories of Dominican authority figures taking advantage of their positions to better their personal fortunes so is it such a leap to believe that some would resort to out and out theft - I personally don't think so.

Some airport management teams care about their reputations and some appear to either not care or be indifferent about their reputations. When a similar incident was reported, with details, to the management at the Punta Cana airport (Airport Manager, Walter Zemialkowski); they were quick to make promises, review video tapes, arrest and convict the perpetrators - and since then tourist reports are almost non-existent of such abuses. The manager has posted his personal e-mail address for tourists to use and seems to treat such reports against his employees as a personal affront to his management. In Santiago, if and when details are available, I know we can count on our friend Hillbilly to put the information in the right hands and ramrod justice. Unfortunately such remedies are not available elsewhere, AFAIK and if anyone has direct contacts which could facilitate resolutions to such incidents, I would encourage you to pass them on to hlywud or myself. The DR's tourist reputation is not great in all quarters and during tough economic times we should all want to enhance the potential tourist experiences, not question their complaints - at least IMHO.

Gregg

Reactions: drloca

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
In Santiago, if and when details are available, I know we can count on our friend Hillbilly to put the information in the right hands and ramrod justice. Unfortunately such remedies are not available elsewhere, AFAIK and if anyone has direct contacts which could facilitate resolutions to such incidents, I would encourage you to pass them on to hlywud or myself.

Gregg, we have very good contacts at Aerodom and their people regularly read DR1. They take these things seriously, but they need names, dates etc in order to do something.

I urge any tourists that gets hassled in anyway, to ask or note down the persons name and badge number. With this info and posted on DR1, I have no doubt action would be taken against them.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I dont understand why you would even take your wallet out of your pocket for inspection? If you know your going through a metal detector make sure all metal is out of your wallet. If your carrying cash why not keep it separate in your pocket? Credit cards too. They don't set off the metal detectors why bothering even flaunting that crap in their faces?

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I've been searched only once leaving SDQ....it was my first trip so I may have appeared "confused" as I learned the ropes of disembarking. I had 12 bags of Cafe Santo Domingo in my backpack.....looks like bricks of coke on x-ray...that was quickly resolved by a search (they looked inside) and production of the receipt from La Dispensa.

A second search on the gangway was made of my carry-on roller. The security guy took my disposible razor telling me I could not take it aboard....they never said anything about my backpack (or rum!)

Last July, I came in thru SDQ with a large (5' long) canvas duffle (checked) that had two cases of MREs, 2 cases of self heating (military type) body cleansing wipes, 10blue tarps and assorted "regalitos" for my shoe shine mafia and NP friends....I was SURE I was gonna get stopped, searched and suckered into paying something.....boy was I wrong....I picked up the bag, balanced it on my carry on roller with a couple bungee cords to secure it and moved like I owned the place. I handed my customs declaration to the girl (declaring NOTHING) and walked right thru!

Like everything else in the DR, the standard is, there is no "standard".

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
I also emailed a link to this thread to a relevant person at POP airport, however without more details getting results may be impossible. I remember a similar thread years back also involving someone leaving POP and in that case they lost something or other when they put their carry-on bag through the X-Ray machine. For my part, I have transited POP many many times without serious incident.