Staying at a resort in Punta Cana

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008
I have a question for the forum.

Is $15,000.00 USD worth staying at an all inclusive resort in Punta Cana for a month?

Here’s the scenario. I have a cousin who interested in moving to the Dominican Republic. He is planning on spending $15,000.00 USD to stay at a resort in Punta Cana for a month to make sure living in the Dominican Republic is something he wants to do.

I said to him last night in order for him to find out what it is like to live I the Dominican Republic, he is going to have to get out meet the people and live among them. And I don’t think he can experience their way of living staying at a resort especially for a month, but then again I may be wrong.

I suggested staying at the resort for a minimum of two weeks that should cost him roughly $3500.00 USD. And while he is on the resort venture out in the country, which will give him some expose to the Dominicans ways of living. If he his still considering living in the Dominican Republic. He can take the remanding balance of $11,500.00, find himself a safe and secure beach front villa in Punta Cana or surrounding areas pay rent for at least a 6 month minimum and still have money left over.

I asked him to come and stay with me for a while, when I move down in September he declined.

Any constructive criticism
:glasses:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You always seem to want constructive criticism. Well here is some really unpleasant news.

You are right. And unless your cousin is a multimillionaire, he can't afford 6 months rental on the beach at Punta Cana...that is major money. For example, an apartment that is not on the beach can go for 2500 a month, easy, if the address is right. Oh you can live in the really Dominican Veron for a whole lot less. But you are 20 minutes from the beach...

Punta Cana is not the Dominican Republic. It is a tourist paradise with all the services that you might enjoy in the USA: Water and electricity 24/7, nice people all around.

That is not the real DR.

The real DR is 18 hour blackouts, iffy water you probably should not drink, and some not-so-nice people looking to rip you off if the opportunity should present itself.

Punta Cana is a great golf destination.

There are 30 golf courses, maybe more all over the country.

If your relative really wants to see what living is like here in the DR, have him come down with a couple of thousand, got to La Vega, or San Francisco de Macoris or Santiago and live there for a month. THEN he/she will know if they can live here.

It is not so easy for you to just up and come here. You need to prepare yourself for a lot of different things...Read the Book Quisqueya: Mad dogs and an English couple (or words to that effect) to get a feel for a lot of what new people see and experience here.

Punta Cana is a resort for people well off, and, if you can afford it, it might be glorious....but you'd better have one heck of a big bank account...they talk in millions out there, dollars and not pesos...even in these times.

Remember, this is the place where Oscar de la Renta, Julio Iglesias, Bill Clinton and others of the same ilk like to hang out....

Conversely, try Santo Domingo if the relative likes big cities...get a place in Gazq?e, where you can walk around a bit. Make friends with neighbors not workers that live in Gualey or Capotillo. Ride the Metro. Take conchos, see the city. that would be the real DR...

HB

Merengue

Dec 10, 2003
Hi Gersen,
In my opinion I think he should travel to the Dominican Republic stay in a decent hotel in Santo Domingo the main capital, try to make friends with the locals get in touch with a realtor that specializes in sales to people who want to move to DR this Realtors will help you and give you valuable information. Like any cities in the world you will find good neighborhoods and bad ones good people and bad ones. But if you learn the ins and outs of the Dominican Republic and the Dominican people you will be living in paradise for a fraction of a dollar.

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008
You always seem to want constructive criticism. Well here is some really unpleasant news.

You are right. And unless your cousin is a multimillionaire, he can't afford 6 months rental on the beach at Punta Cana...that is major money. For example, an apartment that is not on the beach can go for 2500 a month, easy, if the address is right. Oh you can live in the really Dominican Veron for a whole lot less. But you are 20 minutes from the beach...

Punta Cana is not the Dominican Republic. It is a tourist paradise with all the services that you might enjoy in the USA: Water and electricity 24/7, nice people all around.

That is not the real DR.

The real DR is 18 hour blackouts, iffy water you probably should not drink, and some not-so-nice people looking to rip you off if the opportunity should present itself.

If your relative really wants to see what living is like here in the DR, have him come down with a couple of thousand, got to La Vega, or San Francisco de Macoris or Santiago and live there for a month. THEN he/she will know if they can live here.

It is not so easy for you to just up and come here. You need to prepare yourself for a lot of different things...Read the Book Quisqueya: Mad dogs and an English couple (or words to that effect) to get a feel for a lot of what new people see and experience here.

Punta Cana is a resort for people well off, and, if you can afford it, it might be glorious....but you'd better have one heck of a big bank account...they talk in millions out there, dollars and not pesos...even in these times.

Remember, this is the place where Oscar de la Renta, Julio Iglesias, Bill Clinton and others of the same ilk like to hang out....

Conversely, try Santo Domingo if the relative likes big cities...get a place in Gazq?e, where you can walk around a bit. Make friends with neighbors not workers that live in Gualey or Capotillo. Ride the Metro. Take conchos, see the city. that would be the real DR...

HB

Hola,

I introduced my cousin to this website. After doing some reason he found a Long term Beach front villa in Punta Cana/Bavaro for Rent. the owners are asking $650.00 a Month Rent, which includes the following ameneties listed below.

1- Furnished
2- Full Kitchen
3- Living Room
4- A/C
5- 24 HOURS Electricity
6- Free Internet & Cable
7- Hot Water
8- Etc

I told him if he is that serious check it out.

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008
Hi Gersen,
In my opinion I think he should travel to the Dominican Republic stay in a decent hotel in Santo Domingo the main capital, try to make friends with the locals get in touch with a realtor that specializes in sales to people who want to move to DR this Realtors will help you and give you valuable information. Like any cities in the world you will find good neighborhoods and bad ones good people and bad ones. But if you learn the ins and outs of the Dominican Republic and the Dominican people you will be living in paradise for a fraction of a dollar.

:glasses:

I just spoke with my cousin. He has just informed me that he has stayed at the Excellence Spa & Resort in Punta Cana for two weeks in September. The same resort he wants to spend $15,000.00 to stay at for a month.

Not to mention, he has also stated that during his two week stay @ The excellence Spa & Resort. He also made lots of friends with the employee’s who work there. A couple of his friends, who he does keep in touch with said to him if he decide to comes to back to the Dominican Republic and stay for a while. They will take him out into the country and meet the people. “I had no idea he has done all of this”.

During his stay @ the Excellence Spa & Resort in September, he even applied for a job with the resort. He’s very skillful and I’m sure if not the Excellence Spa & Resort. He will be able to find a good job in the Dominican Republic.

I introduced my cousin to this website. After doing some research, he found a Long term Beach front villa in Punta Cana/Bavaro for Rent. The Realtor is asking $650.00 a Month Rent long term for a minimum of 6 months, which includes the following amenities listed below.

1- Furnished
2- Full Kitchen
3- Living Room
4- A/C
5- 24 HOURS Electricity
6- Free Internet & Cable
7- Hot Water
8- Etc
9- 1 ? Bathroom
10- Gated Community
11- Beach front

I said to him if you really feel safe and secure, with the friends you have made@ the Excellence Spa & Resort. Go back and stay another two weeks on their resort. And when it comes close to the time for you to leave the resort and you’re not ready. Then by all mean contact the Realtor, who has the 1 bedroom beach front villa for rent in Punta Cana/Bavaro and pray it’s unoccupied.

At least that way if he does decide to stay in the Dominican Republic he will have someplace to live. And if he chooses to occupy the 1 bedroom beach front villa in Punta/Bavararo. He will only be about an hour away from the Excellence Spa & Resort, which will allow him to be able to communicate and keep in contact, with all his friends who work there.

WOW! I wish I would have though about doing something like this.

What do you think Meregue or anyone else for that matter? It sounds like a plan to me. I also forwarded him the information you provided in reference to the realtor in Santo Domingo.:cheeky:

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008
Staying at a resort in punta cana

That is not the real DR.

HB

I have copied and paste this information and forwarded to my cousin.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I introduced my cousin to this website. After doing some research, he found a Long term Beach front villa in Punta Cana/Bavaro for Rent. The Realtor is asking $650.00 a Month Rent long term for a minimum of 6 months, which includes the following amenities listed below.

1- Furnished
2- Full Kitchen
3- Living Room
4- A/C
5- 24 HOURS Electricity
6- Free Internet & Cable
7- Hot Water
8- Etc
9- 1 ? Bathroom
10- Gated Community
11- Beach front
Are you sure this is per month and not per week, or even per day? You know what they say about things that seem too good to be true!

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008
People in the Dominican Republic

That is not the real DR.

HB

The real DR is 18 hour blackouts, iffy water you probably should not drink, and some not-so-nice people looking to rip you off if the opportunity should present itself

The people in the Dominican Republic don?t seem to be any different from the People here in the America.

?Hell? last night one of my close friends got robbed at Gun point on an elevated subway platform here Brooklyn NY. What difference does that make?

Chicago, IL has the highest crime rate here in America. The average fatality rate is 15 per day. What difference does that make?

African American and Hispanic Men of color, account for the highest HIV/AID rate here in America. What difference does that make?

During the sweltering summer of 2008 here in America, certain section of the Borough Queen NY was with out power the entire month of August. What difference does that make?

There was a article in the today Newspaper, which stated 3 men had been arrested at Newark International Airport for Grand larceny. They were stealing traveler?s luggage of the carousel ramp. What Difference does that make?

Last night I went for a walk the store. When I got to the corner their where cops everywhere. Come to find out two you thugs decide to hold up the bodega Store . The Bodega owner shot and killed both of them. "Unbelieviable" What Difference does that make?

Newark and Camden New Jersey allegedly are to worst to city, to would want to live in the US. What difference does that make?

In February of 2007 two New York City Transit workers found a trash bag on the A-Line subway Tracks? again ?here in Brooklyn NY, which contained human body parts that belong to a young man by the Name of Rashawn Brazzell www.rashawnBrazzell.com. What Difference does that make?

I don?t think theirs much of a great difference from living in the US , Dominican Republic or for that matter any other place in this world. The media thrives off of the cruel, wicked and vengeful thing we as citizen do to on another in this world. It?s to just in the Dominican Republic it is everywhere.

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008
Are you sure this is per month and not per week, or even per day? You know what they say about things that seem too good to be true!

I'm sure its per month.........I posted his inquiry in ths forum......I received responses to my thread that i had forwarded to him, which explains how he found the Beach front Villa in Punta Cana/Bavaro:cheeky:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
This is what this forum " a Market Place" is for @Conchman a place were one can gather resourceful information?
Isn't the internet a wonderful thing?? You get all these intersting people telling you all the things you want to hear, telling you where they can save you LOADS of money, what 'DEALS' they can introduce you to, who has a 'little inexpensive place to rent' in high rent areas???? And of course they ALL come good when you get down here don't they? :ermm: :paranoid:

It's a great big pity that we 'Old War Warriors' who have been here a while & know much about the truth of living here (the 'warts & all stuff you really DON'T want to hear') are actually permitted to post reliable information for you to overlook!!

BEEN there, DONE that, READ (& helped write) the book & realised a LONG time ago ..............
"This ain't Kansas Dorothy"!! I agree with you that in MANY ways this is good news, but in many others you will find that ................ Nah, you come down & find out for yourself as we had to do - IF you can handle the pressure!! :cheeky: ~ Grahame.:pirate:

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008
Isn't the internet a wonderful thing?? You get all these intersting people telling you all the things you want to hear, telling you where they can save you LOADS of money, what 'DEALS' they can introduce you to, who has a 'little inexpensive place to rent' in high rent areas???? And of course they ALL come good when you get down here don't they? :ermm: :paranoid:

It's a great big pity that we 'Old War Warriors' who have been here a while & know much about the truth of living here (the 'warts & all stuff you really DON'T want to hear') are actually permitted to post reliable information for you to overlook!!

BEEN there, DONE that, READ (& helped write) the book & realised a LONG time ago ..............
"This ain't Kansas Dorothy"!! I agree with you that in MANY ways this is good news, but in many others you will find that ................ Nah, you come down & find out for yourself as we had to do - IF you can handle the pressure!! :cheeky: ~ Grahame.:pirate:

?Handle the pressure? :paranoid: Man! I live 6 blocks from 1 of the worst housing project unit in America, which is in Brooklyn NY. Some of you may think it aint all beer and skittles in the Dominican Republic. Oh Please! You aint seen nothing yet. Some of you should come up here and rent an apartment out of the Brownsville housing unit. I guarantee you by the end of the week if not sooner, and excuse my French ?You all will have your asses on the first Airplane back to the Dominican Republic? just as quick as you got here?. And I?m sure by then The Dominican Republic won?t be as bad as some of you made it out to be. And again ?Excuse my French?.

I have traveled to other countries across the World mainly in Latin America. One thing I have realized is that? Europeans, Canadians and White Americans tend to stand out as an easy ?Prey?, when traveling abroad. I have a good friend who?s equadorian. He told me if I decided to travel to South American I would blend in with the Native because of my skin tone. Compare to a White American, European or Canadian, whose skin tones are some what lighter. They will not blend in, which makes them an easy Target to be Robbed etc.

This probably explains why some many tourists get robbed in the Dominican Republic. ?And trust me when I tell you? When you tourist get off the plane. Them Dominican Boys see you guys coming. The same as if some of you decided to come to America and live in the Brownsville housing unit here in Brooklyn NY. The ?Stick up Kids? would see you guys coming and rob you blind.:cheeky:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Can we keep to the topic please?

The US$650 a month beach villa in Punta Cana/B?varo is either a typo, a fantasy or a scam. For that money, in this area, you'll get a two-bed apartment away from the beach.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I'm no judging, but are you sure this is for real? You can get a 1 month lease on the North Coast for less then $3000.00 for the best places here. In Caberete, this is for a 3 BR.. If you want to be on the beach, add $1000.00US., And you still have $11,000.00 to play with. I know a AL is easy but this is crazy. I ask again is this for real ?

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008
I'm no judging, but are you sure this is for real? You can get a 1 month lease on the North Coast for less then $3000.00 for the best places here. In Caberete, this is for a 3 BR.. If you want to be on the beach, add $1000.00US., And you still have $11,000.00 to play with. I know a AL is easy but this is crazy. I ask again is this for real ?

I called the realtor "Remax" in Punta Cana Myself to see if they had anymore units available. They said no.........My cousin put a down payment of $1000.00 USD via American Express.

Wow! You guys are hilarious. Someone comes into this forum and ask for advice....The advice works then all of a sudden its either wrong or inaccurate "Unbelievable". And this is not directed @ you personally " Oriole100":tired:

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008
Staying at a Resort in Punta Cana

Can we keep to the topic please?

The US$650 a month beach villa in Punta Cana/B?varo is either a typo, a fantasy or a scam. For that money, in this area, you'll get a two-bed apartment away from the beach.

#7 12-25-2008, 11:45 AM
AK74
Gold Join Date: Jun 2007
(71)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanata
Hello,
going to move to Dominicana. Firstly for one year, to look around, settle down, to realize if this way and conditions of life ar suitable and comfortable for me and my husband. If everything will be ok, will think about purchasing an estate.

At the moment I'd like to rent a small villa (two-bedroom). Don't want the apartment, after whole life in megapolis want to have a bit more of privacy.

Could anybody advise if it's real to rent a villa in a normal place for a year up to 1500 USD a month? As normal place I consider sea\ocean availability, 24h security, homogeneous neighbors.

Thanks in advance.

$1500 is a VERY GOOD price. For this money you will be able to rent a VERY GOOD villa in a VERY GOOD neighborhood. Dozens of empty villas are in Cabarete currently. And most owners will be happy to rent for $600-$800.
So, $1500 is a lot of money.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008
Staying at a Resort in Punta Cana.

The villa that my cousin will be renting is a 1 Bedroom Unit.:glasses: