residency exoneration list?

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Happy Holidays to all!

I tried to get this information through the Aduanas website, but was unsuccessful, so I thought I'd once again try the forum.

Does anyone have access to the list of items which can be imported duty-free through a mudanza?

I know the general consensus is that personal effects and household goods are exempt, but I would like a more formal, official list. I don;t want to have to worry about it when it's already shipped, and the typical "we'll take care of it" one hears from brokers is not going to cut it.

For example -- are inverters exempt? Fridges? Flat screen TV's? Tools?

There must exist somewhere an official list of what items are and what items are not exempt. If anyone can send me a link to same, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Joe

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY TO THE BENEFITS OF THE LAWS 14-93 & 168
(Revised August/2005)
PLEASE CAREFULLY READ ALL THE CONTENT OF THIS DOCUMENT
- The law establishes an exoneration to the import of home & personal goods, as well as job & professional equipment, belonging to foreign people coming to definitively reside in the country, and to dominicans that have resided out of the country for two (2) or more consecutive years and return to establish the definitive residence in the country.
- The benefit of these Laws is given only once in lifetime.
- To become establish your permanent residence in the Dominican Republic.
- If you are Dominican, you have to demonstrate you have lived for more than two (2) consecutive years in another country (Dominicans and foreigners).
- Also not having stayed in the country for more than six (6) months during the last two (2) years (consecutive or not).
- If you are foreign, to present your Original Residence Card or a Certification from Migration Authorities saying it is in process.
- Your actual Passport shall have a minimum of two (2) years of being issued. If not, then your previous canceled passport will be required.
- The Bill of Lading or Air Waybill shall be consigned to your name.
- Letter of Matrimony, if married, or Divorce Letter (Original).
- To issue a Consular Invoice at the Dominican Consulate that corresponds to your area.
- Copy of your Dominican ID Card (Cedula)
If you are bringing a vehicle:
- It is PROHIBITED to import vehicles with more than 5 years of age. Any vehicle that brakes this rule will be confiscated.
- Only ONE (1) vehicle can be exonerated.
- The exoneration of vehicles is partial (approx. 60% discount)
- If married, each one has the right to import ONE vehicle.
- Motorcicles, 4wheels, etc., are considered vehicles, and will not be exonerated
if you also bring a car.
- You have to wait three (3) years to be able to sell the vehicle. Customs Inspectors may surprisingly visit you to verify that.
- Original of the Vehicle?s Title
- Titlés Record stamped by the Dominican Consulate
- The Bill of Lading or Air Waybill shall be consigned to the owner of the vehicle.
- Proof that vehicle has been in your possession for not less than one (1) year.
- To present the Vehicle?s Registrations (New & Old, or official certifications of them).
- Record of the last three (3) registrations (stamped by the Dominican Consulate)
- Original Drivers License from the country where you lived.
ADDITIONAL RECOMENDATIONS
- Stamp ALL documents at the Dominican Consulate
- IT IS PROHIBITED TO SHIP DANGEROUS GOODS (FLAMMABLE GASES/LIQUIDS, EXPLOSIVES, TOXIC OR RADIOACTIVE ARTICLES, ETC.). YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE OF ANY DAMAGES THAT OCCUR TO PEOPLE AND PROPERTIES IF THIS WARNING IS IGNORED.
- IT IS PROHIBITED TO SHIP FOOD OF ANY KIND, MEDICINES OR ANY OTHER REGULATED PRODUCT. IT MAY BE CONFISCATED IF DO NOT HAVE THE CORRESPONDENT IMPORT PERMIT.
- Pack in the same box only articles of the same nature. Example: put in different boxes clothing, kitchen articles, paintings, books, etc. Do not mix them.
- Identify each box with a number and prepare a full packing list with the content of each box. You must declare an estimated value in US Dollars for each item.
- The packing list shall list separately each electric appliance, since these CAN NOT be declared globally. YOU HAVE TO DETAIL these. If you bring more that one unit of a particular appliance, only will be exonerated the quantity that Customs consider reasonable. (By example: if you bring more than three TVs, then maybe three will be exonerated and the rest will pay duties).
- Clearly specify if each article is NEW or USED, and the estimated value in US dollars.
- Power Generators, Construction Materials, or any other item that is not considered as part of your personal belongings by Customs, will not be exonerated.

rickboz

Feb 5, 2006
Gracias Senor Guzman.

After reading I am still not clear if this applies to only permanent residency or is provisional residency also accepted for the exemption?

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Rickboz:
I was in process for provisional residency at the time I went the through the process described by Mr. Guzman below so it applies to that.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Have YET To Hear From Any Expat Who Has ACTUALLY Used This Provision

And brought anything into the DR,?DUTY FREE??????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My $50,000 of assessed duty was exonerated - I did have to pay the storage costs incurred while the DGA took one week to approve my application, etc. but the duty was FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rickboz

Feb 5, 2006
Gracias Bellamona and congratulations!

Could you post the process you went through or send me a PM?

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
My pleasure - I posted this in October-if you need more info I can PM you my cell

Follow-up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamona View Post
I just did the same thing. I shipped my "memories" from LA to Santo Domingo - I paid about $2500 to get the stuff from LA to Haina. I paid $300 to Hispaniola Freight in Sto. Dom. for their administrative stuff. I went alone to Haina port - wow, what a nightmare. $$$ were written all over my blond-haired, blue-eyed face. But you just have to go with the flow although it was very, very frustrating at times. I did request, and get, the one-time exemption - that was a 1-week process in and of itself.

Basically you have to:

* Go to port
* Buy customs form -$75RD
* Complete customs form - can't be hand-written - so you'll pay for that. Your inventory list will be added to the customs form in Spanish so it would be good to translate this ahead of time
* Verify your stuff at the port - this means paying someone to open and then re-close your boxes for the "inspectors" to check it out
* Collecting your "printer" which lists the items on your list and the duty they want to hit you up for
* THEN you take your printer and other documents (including proof that you are applying for residency) and head to the DGA to request the exemption. they are open from 8-5 Mon-Wed-Fri but I would suggest going on a Tues or Thurs - the secretary to Sr. Hugh-Exoneraciones, will review your paperwork - if you are missing something she'll let you know and you won't waste a trip on Mon-Wed-Fri.
* DGA: Mon-Wed-Fri - get there as early as possible - this is an all day event and it pays to be one of the early birds - I got there at 7:30AM and got out at 4PM. It is however, very entertaining as Sr. Hugh has a speech he gives that will have you in stitches.
* One week later - I was approved and on to Haina to retrieve my stuff w/o paying taxes.

This was my experience as I did not have an agent - in either case, good luck to you. Now that I am home with my "stuff" I am a happy camper but I would not do it again!
The officer who interviewed at me in August at DGA for the exoneracion just knocked on my door to confirm that I live here and that I got my stuff, nothing was stolen, etc. He came with another Aduanas individual, both with IDs, etc.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"bOTTOM lINE"!!!!...I WOULD not do it again"!!!

Sell everything "THERE". BUY NEW "STUFF" HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No "Bribes" to pay,"Time" to waste, Nothing gets "Stolen". You get a garantee on the "Electronics" ...whaterver that is worth here!!!
Just a better "Moving Experience" all around!
A 29" "Flat Screen " TV was 10,000 pesos at Plaza Lama last week! (note, NOT a Plasma,or LCD, just a "Flat Screen!)
Cris coloncccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Based on my experience I would agree with ChriSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

I brought furniture that had sentimental value - stuff that had been in my family for 40-50 years and I couldn't part with but guess what.. I have since learned to part with it. So, the aduanas process at the port is long, confusing, expensive and will quickly cure you of any love you may have had for mankind. Bring your photos and music - leave everything else and buy new.

Reactions: AlaninDR