Two questions

stejeda13

Dec 24, 2008
I have two questions. First is how to locate relatives in the DR that we (family) have lost contact with. Second is (women will be more likely to know this) I will be there visiting and are expecting..wanted to know if I (dominican american) gave birth while there in the DR, would I submit for a birth certificate there for my baby which I guess would then not be considered a (dom-american but dominican) and then would I have issues gettign my baby back into the US with me? Sounds weird but any insight is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Through birth abroad to two United States citizens
See also: jus sanguinis
In most cases, one is a U.S. citizen if both of the following are true:

Both parents were U.S. citizens at the time of the child's birth
At least one parent lived in the United States prior to the child's birth.
INA 301(c) and INA 301(a)(3) state, "and one of whom has had a residence." The FAM (Foreign Affairs Manual) states "no amount of time specified."

A person's record of birth abroad, if registered with a U.S. consulate or embassy, is proof of his or her citizenship. He or she may also apply for a passport or a Certificate of Citizenship to have his or her citizenship recognized.

[edit] Through birth abroad to one United States citizen
For persons born on or after November 14, 1986, a person is a U.S. citizen if all of the following are true:[4]

One of the person's parents was a U.S. citizen when the person in question was born;
The citizen parent lived at least 5 years in the United States before his or her child's birth;
A minimum of 2 of these 5 years in the United States were after the citizen parent's 14th birthday.
A person's record of birth abroad, if registered with a U.S. consulate or embassy, is proof of his or her citizenship. Such a person may also apply for a passport or a Certificate of Citizenship to have a record of his or her citizenship. Such documentation is often useful to prove citizenship in lieu of the availability of an American birth certificate.

Different rules apply for persons born abroad to one U.S. citizen before November 14, 1986. United States law on this subject changed multiple times throughout the twentieth century, and the law as it existed at the time of the individual's birth

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If a US citizen gives birth in the DR they can register their child at the US embassy. More info from:
Consular Report of Birth Abroad

How to trace long-lost relatives depends on how much and what sort of information you have to go on.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
But your child will not be able to become Obama #2....
Or maybe he will--there seems to be some doubt as to where he was born anyway..among the right wingers at least..
HB

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I have two questions. First is how to locate relatives in the DR that we (family) have lost contact with. Second is (women will be more likely to know this) I will be there visiting and are expecting..wanted to know if I (dominican american) gave birth while there in the DR, would I submit for a birth certificate there for my baby which I guess would then not be considered a (dom-american but dominican) and then would I have issues gettign my baby back into the US with me? Sounds weird but any insight is appreciated.

Usually we Dominicans live our whole life in one place (city or town, Barrio or Urbanization), you should start by going to the last place where your relatives used to live, then if they don't live there anymore (If your relatives used to live in a "CAMPO" probably they moved to a city like Santiago or La Capital) otherwise they still live in the same place.

If they moved, most of times, they still have friends or other family members NOT related to you living on that place where they used to lived, just ask question to the neighbors, we Dominicans are busybody my nature (Chismosos, lleva vida, y bochincheros) so if they moved, i'll bet some of the neighbors know where they moved, and if you are lucky your relatives visit their all town/city for the holidays :bunny: