Rum, Rón, Rhum, Pom, ラム酒,

Which Dominican rum do you consider the best?

• Barceló

Votes: 49 50.0%
  • Bermúdez

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Brugal

Votes: 47 48.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The Dominican rum industry is dominated by the three B's, Brugal, Berm?dez, Barcel?.

-NALs

A

apostropheman

The Dominican rum industry is dominated by the three B's, Brugal, Berm?dez, Barcel?.

-NALs
Sorry Nals but none of the above ;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Siboney Red for mixing.

Barbancourt 15 y.o. 5-Star for sipping (yes, I know it's Haitian and not Dominican...)

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry to reply a bit off-topic, but nothing in the DR comes close to Barbancourt 5 stars...

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I prefer Barcelo Imperial on the rocks....Barcelo Gran Anejo is excellent with Coke. I also like Siboney Red Label....a lot! The DR does have some fine rums...and I always come home with 6 bottles after each trip.

I do brag to my Haitian friends that Barbancourt is the best export Haiti has....however, I've never enjoyed any rum as much as I do Havana Club (Cuba....not the PR knockoff), a close second is Ron Varadero....

I opened bottles of Pyrat Cask and Barcelo Imperial to share with friends over the holidays....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Why not include all the different rums.
Macorix & Siboney for instance.
Because the purpose of this poll is to see which of the 3 B's that dominate the market is the most popular among DR1ers, a community composed mostly of foreigners.

-NALs

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Barcelo cause I?m terribly allergic to Brugal, I don?t even have to drink it to get a reaction, if someone that was drinking Brugal gives me un besito, that spot will turn all red and I will start having trouble breathing. Barcelo, Macorix?no problemo!

frank617

Jan 12, 2009
Extra Viejo

For the comparison to be fair, you have to compare each company's variety of equal aging. Brugal's Extra Viejo is the only Brugal that I drink. It is superior than the equivalent Barcelo and far superior than the equivalent Bermudez. Unfortunately, Extra Viejo is not sold in the states, except maybe in NYC. On a side note, until I was turned onto Extra Viejo, I drank very little rum. The popular rum brands in the US are Captain Morgan and Barcardi. Neither one of these companies produces anything remotely close to what is produced in DR.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Barcelo cause I?m terribly allergic to Brugal, I don?t even have to drink it to get a reaction, if someone that was drinking Brugal gives me un besito, that spot will turn all red and I will start having trouble breathing. Barcelo, Macorix?no problemo!

I have Barcelo Macorix, can I kiss you.:cool:........just kidding, its Friday.

Cibaeno

Feb 7, 2009
In my opinion Barcelo is way better than Brugal. Already a Barcelo Gran Anejo is excellent to drink it straight, and the Barcelo Imperial probably is one of the best rums in the world!

Even Don Armando and Siboney are better than the Brugal!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
the Barcelo Imperial probably is one of the best rums in the world!

With all due respect I think this is a bold statement..

There a many, many rums in the world.. I've sampled many and cannot say that the DR rums are the best.. though they are good

For straight up the 'Reserve du Domain' from Barbancourt is a very nice rhum.. for mixing I prefer the Cuban 'Anejo' from La Mulata which is very hard to get these days..

Out of the DR rums, the Brugal 'Anejo' does nicely for mixing and the 'extra viejo' is a fair drink for straight up.. the more expensive rums aren't worth their money imo as you can get better cognacs at those price points..

The Jamaican and French Carribean varieties are too sweet in my book

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Whats the feedback on the two new, top line white rums from Brugal and Barcelo.
I believe one is called platinum, not sure on the other

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've had them all. The Barcelo and Brugal a?ejos are tops. I wouldn't want it any smoother or I would mistake it for water. :) Sibony is ok but Bermuda, Macorix, and Columbus have an odd taste.

Oddly enough, I had the Barbancourt in Haiti last week and it smelled like tequila. Someone else thought so too. Nonetheless, we finished it no problema.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Oddly enough, I had the Barbancourt in Haiti last week and it smelled like tequila. Someone else thought so too. Nonetheless, we finished it no problema.

count the stars. 5 star barbancourt is very good IMHO