Thread: work visa

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default work visa

There is a possibility that I may have a job opportunity to teach in Santo Domingo, beginning at the end of January. In the case that I accept the position, will I need to already have a work visa? Or is it something that I can apply for once I arrive in SD? If I have the option of applying either in the US or in the DR, which is my best bet in terms of cost and time?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

No, this is not necessary. Come in on a tourist visa and if you decide to stay long term you can start the residency process. Some employers will put this into motion for you.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default time?

will I have enough time between now and the end of January to obtain a tourist visa? How long does this process typically take?

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you from? Most nationalities only have to fill in a tourist card on arrival in the DR, cost US$10.

See also recent threads for the list of overstay penalties: if you are only going to be here several months it still works out cheaper than applying for residency.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You may want to check how the new Bio-Cedula change things. I've been told there will be new rules for work visa's. Your new employer may know more about that.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been to SD several times over the last few years, and I always buy a tourist card. But this time I only wanted to buy a one-way plane ticket, and I can only do that if I have a visa.

I'm from NJ

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Usually buying a round trip ticket and not using the return portion is cheaper. Plus you will also receive your tourist card for the 10.00 with that. I would take as look into that.

Cheers
    Erin